PDA

View Full Version : VALENCIA MOTO GP...44hrs of fun!

McMONSTRO
07-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Got back this morning at 1am after a brilliant time, so I just thought I'd share the tale of a great weekend!
Left Notts at 5am on Saturday armed with rucksack and satnav to catch 8am Easyjet flight from Stanstead to Alicante, took off on time and 2hrs later we're picking up a hire car (skoda fabia diesel, dont laugh), prebooked, at the airport.
Head up to Ontinyent (chosen coz my mate stopped there before) with the aid of a tomtom gps, took us door to door no problem at all, and arrive at www.hotelkazar.com, in time to watch the MotoGp qualifying. Now this Hotel looks from the brochure like its in the middle of a desert, some arabian knights thing, but its in the middle of your typical spanish town, odd but great, dead friendly and not like your usual chain hotel, reccomended!
Found an Irish bar (as you do) and had a couple or more beers then shower and stuff and out for a pizza, wine and another trip to the Irish bar, polished off with a VERY large Jamesons whisky in the hotel bar, then crawl off to bed about 12.

7am down for breakfast, and leave for the Valencia track at 8, arrive there just before 10, bit of a queue but not bad, its packed. Now I notice that while we Brits spend our cash on Termis, Micron and Arrow cans your Spanish equivalent doesn't, he just takes the original can off, yes off completely and has an open pipe, so the sport in the queue is hold your throttle against the stop and bounce the needle against the rev limiter....amazing, children cry in pain and the cops just look and smile! Any thing goes, no lids, 3 on a bike, wheelies, they just smile!

Get up to our seats just before the 125's start at 11.
Valencia track is fantastic for viewing, from where we were (tribuna west, on the outside of Angel Nieto curve) you got a brilliant view over the whole circuit, only bit you couldn't see was the last bend before the start finish straight, close to the track too, and because its in a bowl the sounds just echo around. And on top of that theres at least 3 videowalls to watch!
The Spanish fans go bannanas every time someone comes past, they all seem to have a favorite and seem to be just as keen on the 125/250 classes as the Moto GP class, fan clubs everywhere! In between races beach balls are thrown about, even the marshalls join in! Real good fireworks too after each race, and during some! I guess you all know the outcome of the races so i'll skip to the next bit!

Leave the track at around 3.30ish fearing a missed flight as there are 124,000 to get out of here! Some left a bit earlier in sympathy with Sete Giberneau to call the Samaritans! In the car and head for the motorway, 15 mins later we're on the motorway and heading back to Alicante, Brilliant! Took time to go to the beach near Benidorm to get our feet wet in the Med and arrived back at the airport for 7pm, drop off hire car, whopper in burger king and a couple of pints, take off 9ish and back at Stanstead just before 11pm, 2hr drive home and collapse into bed, happy!

El Monstro

and a few pics

Pugi
07-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Nice...
Not at all envious..not a bit...

Who am I kidding? I'd sell a kidney to do that and get out of here.
Jameson sure was of impressive magnitude, only second to the grin on your face.

Thanks for sharing, this has now been put on my to do-list.

MotoNik
07-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Cool! I entered the Chas Davies competition that Toby Moody was plugging at the Turkish GP - all expenses paid trip for two to Valencia, but sadly didn't win it. Great way to end the season though. Can't beat European races, they're great.

For anyone fancying a European GP it has to be Mugello - utter insanity, completely brilliant. Thoroughly recommended. Tickets go on sale around early April. Just don't go in a car if you want to get out before midnight (seriously!).

Just a bit depressed that the season is over now. Time to dust off the PS2 I reckon.

Nik

NattyBoy
07-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Brilliant !! Glad you had a good time - cheers for the write up and pics..

Nat

MrsJel
07-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Soooo jealous. Must go on the list, looks like a great place to be and right in front of the Dr doing a donut.

Jim66a
07-11-2005, 07:32 PM
I've just arrived home from Valencia too.. We flew out on Friday from Doncaster, Stayed in Xeraco just south of Valencia. Great little spanish resort :) Wild party with stunt shows in Cheste on Sat night :) But Just as McMonstro said.. An awsome weekend.. I'm still deaf from all the noise the crowds made on Pedrosa's last lap!!!!
Roll on next year :) Maybe even ride down :)