PDA

View Full Version : 1998 M600 Won't start

rxtim
07-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi guys

I've searched through previous threads, nothing seems to help.

Battery is charged using an optimate, reading a nice healthy voltage, less than 6 months old, decent make.

When I turn the ignition on, the voltage reading drops rapidly to less than 7v.

Starter relay appears fine, it clicks. Starter motor will buzz, well until the voltage gets too low.

Ignition off, voltage returns to normal.

If ignition fuse is removed, voltage remains above 12V.

Any ideas where to look next?

stuartg
07-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Hi guys

I've searched through previous threads, nothing seems to help.

Battery is charged using an optimate, reading a nice healthy voltage, less than 6 months old, decent make.

When I turn the ignition on, the voltage reading drops rapidly to less than 7v.

Starter relay appears fine, it clicks. Starter motor will buzz, well until the voltage gets too low.

Ignition off, voltage returns to normal.

If ignition fuse is removed, voltage remains above 12V.

Any ideas where to look next?

I'm a bit confused.
When you take the fuse out you still get a voltage reading?
Does the engine turn over or do you just get a click from the solenoid.
Is the relay you speak of the yellow one under the seat or do you mean the solenoid.
Have you charged the battery fully, independantly of the optimate?

The fact the battery drops to 7v once ignition is turned on would suggest battery, and or voltage regulator, rectifier.

If you can elaborate I, or someone, may be able to help.

Yorkie
07-11-2005, 11:26 AM
If i leave my M600 (1999) for a long while without starting her, i have to jump start her after charging the battery? She just seems to need a little extra!

Does she turn over at all?

Yorkie.

rxtim
07-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Doesn't turn over, starter motor will try for a bit but by that time the battery is only reading about 4V. There is just not enough juice!

Thought about reg/rec but when it was last running, voltage back to battery was fine.

stuartg
07-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Doesn't turn over, starter motor will try for a bit but by that time the battery is only reading about 4V. There is just not enough juice!

Thought about reg/rec but when it was last running, voltage back to battery was fine.

If the battery is losing charge that quickly then I would suggest the battery may be faulty.
If its not turning over with a fully charged battery then it sounds like the starter solenoid is faulty. You can short across the terminals to test. Be careful though, I wouldnt particularly recomend doing this.
Sounds like your rectifiers probably ok.

rxtim
07-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Cheers, all pointers look like dodgy battery. Bit of luck, my 916 was ready to pick up, so bump started the Monster and left it with my mechanic.

MotoNik
10-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Do let us know the cause when you find out - all the symptoms sound just like those on Emily's Monster - clicky solenoid, jump starts and runs ok etc.

I'm planning to buy a new battery on Sat, but if it might be something else electrical it would be good to know.

cheers,

Nik

rxtim
10-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Battery was the culprit. Electrical system checked out fine, new battery fitted and bike now as good as ever.

MotoNik
10-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Cool, I was hoping you'd say that!

Glad to hear yours is fixed. :)

Nik

A Yerbury
10-11-2005, 10:29 PM
that reminds me I'm going to give mine a charge tonight...