PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Wiring

Lost Again
05-11-2005, 11:38 PM
A little advice please. I'm thinking of throwing a 'busa light on the bike but was just wondering about the wiring. I know the standard switchgear isn't the most robust in the world so would it be wise to run the new headlight direct from the battery with a relay connected to the old headlight wiring? Especially seeing as I'm planning on 100W bulbs in the little bugger. (pull out on me now you blind sods)

Pugi
06-11-2005, 01:19 AM
100W...that'll teach them! :twisted:

Sparky
06-11-2005, 02:29 PM
A relay with seperate wiring seems like the best way to go given that your nearly doubling the current. Just to be safe don't forget to fit a fuse close to where you connect to the battery.

If you haven't figured it out then you will need wire that is capable of carying at least 10 amps and a fuse rating that is no more than the wire rating.

Chris

Lost Again
06-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Cheers, that's what I was thinking pretty much.
Just realised that if the 'busa lamp takes H4's I can get 130/80W bulbs. Not sure if thats such a great idea though.

Paranoid Dave
06-11-2005, 03:05 PM
AK has a busa headlight so you might want to ask him

slob
06-11-2005, 03:22 PM
100W...that'll teach them! :twisted:
I had a 80/100 bulb in my Hardley for a while. Nice spread on low beam, napalm the treeline on full. I eventually changed it for a slightly lower wattage arrangement after the H4 plug started to look a bit melty but it was crammed into a 5 3/4" shell.

CK & AK
06-11-2005, 03:29 PM
AK has a busa headlight so you might want to ask him

He certainly does, I fitted it Jan last year (04).

Remember, when high beam is activated - it will light both bulbs, so you need a switching relay in the headlight circuit. Both bulbs are only single filament, so you get feed back into the dip circuit, if you dont fit the relay.

AK

Paranoid Dave
06-11-2005, 04:15 PM
my twin headlights are both 55w, they weren't aligned quite right and have no pixels on the glass so at MOT this year the bloke said "that must be horrid riding at night as it doesn't focus the light on one spot" I eplained he was wrong as it meant i could see EVERYTHING and not just a spot on the road :D naturally he failed it, until I pointed out you just tip the light down a bit and adjust the positions and it was fine after that.

Lost Again
07-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Cheers for the pointers.

AK,
don't suppose you have a pic of the 'busa lamp fitted?
decided I'm gonna fit one but I've got no idea what it'll look like fitted. not sure whether to fit it as a plain lamp or make a little fairing to come up and over the clocks.