PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head Studs

Pedro
05-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Right then

I've got four studs to change (old snapping variety), the first three came out ok but the fourth is beinga right b*stard. Ive used a stud extraction tool on the others which worked ok but it got chewed up doing the fourth, so I've locked a couple of nuts together to get some grip.

The problem is that the stud appears to have been thread locked in which it shouldn't be and will only move about an 1/8 of a turn after heating the case with a blow lamp and heaving on the spanner. Now I'm sure it will come out like this but it's gonna take ages.

Any other bright ideas?

Cheers
Ped

Phoenix
05-11-2005, 06:59 PM
biiiig hammer! :lol: (CK)

if you have moved it an 1/8th of a turn, the threadlock has prob broken now Ped. (AK)

why are you changing the head studs anyway? (Crust)

Reaper says: should have brought a Suzuki! :eek:

Zimbo says ; that will teach you to start fiddling! :p

Crusty: now you have started, you must finish.... you may need a helicoil after.

C, typing on Lins log-in...... :rolleyes: :D

Lost Again
05-11-2005, 07:59 PM
On the subject of head studs, any ideas how much for a set of 8?
While my engines getting rebuilt this winter I've decided it might be an idea to replace them all.

Pedro
05-11-2005, 08:11 PM
On the subject of head studs, any ideas how much for a set of 8?
While my engines getting rebuilt this winter I've decided it might be an idea to replace them all.

About £8 and bit each

Phoenix
05-11-2005, 08:13 PM
so - how are yours then Ped? :confused:

Pedro
05-11-2005, 08:14 PM
biiiig hammer! :lol: (CK)

if you have moved it an 1/8th of a turn, the threadlock has prob broken now Ped. (AK)

why are you changing the head studs anyway? (Crust)

Reaper says: should have brought a Suzuki! :eek:

Zimbo says ; that will teach you to start fiddling! :p

Crusty: now you have started, you must finish.... you may need a helicoil after.

C, typing on Lins log-in...... :rolleyes: :D

Thanks chaps, and in answer....

CK - Tried it!
AK - Thread still stuck, slips about an1/8 of turn then seems to seize up until reheated,
Crust - Got 4 old style studs - them what break!
Reaper - Suzuki? Not a bloody chance..
Zimbo - I know, I know...
Crust - have thought about that
CK - thanks for organising!!

Ped

Phoenix
05-11-2005, 08:17 PM
well, you muppet - whats next?

:lol: :lol:

grrrrrreat parrrrrty :burnout:

gary tompkins
05-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Red,
Hope yours comes out better than Paul Critchers did. He had a hell of a job after one snapped and he put it into Pro twins for a repair. The busted one came out ok but two of the others (he decided to get them all swapped) ripped the thread out of the crank case and he had to get it helicoiled

Five days labour and lodsa parts including rubber hoses/seals that melted when they heated the cases up in an attempt to free the studs.

The bill - nearly a grand :eek:

Poor sod - he still has nightmares about it :lol:

Lost Again
05-11-2005, 09:52 PM
About £8 and bit each

Bonza! cheers for that, I was expecting them to be more than that for some reason. Replaced the barrels last July and reused the original studs on a 40,000 mile engine so figured I might as well replace them while the bikes in bits.

Duke John
09-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Just had the same happen when removing a stud from some 916 cases. I think that the steel stud picks up on the alloy thread and seizes. I managed to get the stud out but it wrecked the threads. Fortunately I managed to helicoil it OK. Frightening stuff though.
Good luck
Ducati John
www.ducati-john.co.uk

Pedro
19-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Update - got the b*stard out at last!!

That very nice bloke at DWR, Dave, suggested heating the stud up to cherry red so it would expand and break it's grip. After it cooled down, my new shiny stud extractor worked wonders! The best bit is that it looks like the threads are ok.

Big thanks to Dave the suggestion!

Ped

gary tompkins
19-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Nice one Pedro,

As you can see from my own update, I had a result on the seized gearbox sprocket as well today. So looks like we both deserve a well earned beer :D

Pedro
19-11-2005, 08:17 PM
Nice one Pedro,

As you can see from my own update, I had a result on the seized gearbox sprocket as well today. So looks like we both deserve a well earned beer :D

Yep, the Peroni is chilling as I write!

Pedro
30-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Well, there's a lesson to be learnt here for anyone putting stainless bolts in ally cases without an anti-seize compound......

This is the stud that was causing me grief to get out - as you can see, it's stripped the thread off the stud. Believe it or not, the case survived this well, only loosing a couple of threads right at the top.

Ped