PDA

View Full Version : Lured by a rumour

emily's driver
03-11-2005, 11:49 AM
It's not been officially announced yet but I learnt today from a friend of mine in Italy, of the imminent introduction of a new monster for 2006. It's to be unveiled at the Milan show later this month, and it's the news I had been hoping for. No it's not the S2R 1000 but something much much lairier! It's been dubbed the S4RS and will feature the Testastretta engine from the 999S (about 143bhp!) so has the makings of being a complete hooligan's tool. Suits me fine. I was waiting for an excuse to "convert" to a Monster and this is the only model I would consider replacing my years of head down arse up riding on 748s,916s,998s and my current 999S.

My current bike is obviously no slouch but at the same time, be it my age?! or that I just dont get the same enjoyment out of riding a full on sportsbike anymore, I can't honestly say what single aspect of using it now fails to excite me. Some days on the right roads and in good weather however, it can be a dream to ride. Other days not so. These have of late outnumbered the rest.

Having ridden Nonnie's Monster on more than one occassion, it struck me as being more suited to my overall needs, particularly when you just want to dawdle along through town and in traffic which is where mine fails. I have enjoyed riding my bike but I need something that's a bit more of an all rounder and not so much of a compromise. The 999 for all it's critics (usually those that have never ridden one) is still one hell of a machine and a vast improvement on the previous incarnations, so if I am going to make the switch to the naked world, I want a bike which can offer me the same practicality as the smaller models in the Monster range but with the extra oomph on tap should I want to use it (which is the fun part). The best of both worlds.

So am I right to take the plunge and turn my back on years of riding Bologna's faired finest? I would feel less of a fraud at least when I turn up with Nonnie at meets for one thing. At least I would be on one of the club's namesake models. It's unlikely the S4RS will be available until Easter at the earliest so I don't suppose I will have it in time for the weekender but I hope the sight of an out of place 999 wont ruffle too many feathers. It does at least share the same parental origins!

No other details as yet on this new offering from Ducati but the tech specs I imagine will doubtless leak out in the weekly comic that is MCN soon. So anyone wanna buy Emily? She has been pampered beyond belief to bordering on fastidious levels (just ask PD if you are unsure!) so needs to go to a loving home. If you know of anyone interested then PM me. Probably not the right arena in which to showcase this bike but worth asking all the same.

Julie
03-11-2005, 11:51 AM
I heard the same thing....

CK & AK
03-11-2005, 11:53 AM
you are correct about the rumours circulating over the last month :D

edited to add link:

http://www.freeforumzone.it/viewmessaggi.aspx?f=509&idd=78407&p=4

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=25751#pid248943

C ;)

Pedro
03-11-2005, 12:31 PM
I heard on good authority that the testastretta Monster will make over 150bhp when chipped and piped.....

psychlist
03-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Just fit a 14t front sprocket to make it smoother around town
(the side effect of mucho more wheelie potential as a stunt bike doesnt come into it, of course :twisted: )

spacemonkey
03-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I would have thought the 3 valve head on the aircooled lump a'la ST3 would suit the Monster well. And it wouldn't have all that god darned awful plumbing nor the Cortina rad...

A Yerbury
03-11-2005, 08:19 PM
hmmm just because the riding position is similar to a 620 the motor will still be a fire breathing tyrant?! maybe not great for pootling? silly question but wouldnt the whatever it's called 1000 monster be enough? for most UK roads?ok it is a step down and sideways from the 999 (which I like very much btw) but they are cheap (er) and rather lovely.

Paranoid Dave
03-11-2005, 09:29 PM
i think you'll find rod loves his power tool too much to let go ;)

Nonnie
04-11-2005, 09:43 AM
No PD, I think Emily will go. I'll be sad to see her go and she can only go to an equally loving home where she will be pampered but I think he likes the Monsters too. And this one does have the same engine so I think it'll be perfect.

Now, where's my leathers???

ED, can I have a go on it when you get it?

Ah go on

Go on

Go on

SAMMYE
04-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Emily's driver speed Freak????

nuuuuuu never!!! ;)

emily's driver
04-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Emily's driver speed Freak????

nuuuuuu never!!! ;)

Is it that obvious?! Well yes I guess I am a bit. :lol:

DesmoDog
04-11-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm sure I read this in MCN a couple of months back. Sounds great - some radical remodelling in store?

SAMMYE
04-11-2005, 12:14 PM
I am seriously worried about Emily's driver.... has he a death wish?? not content with dicing with Death in Nigeria (see pics below)

Nonnie
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
I think this picture is closer to Nigerian life. ED used to pass this sign every day on the way to work.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=8103

emily's driver
08-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Found these pictures whilst trawling through the net at work today. It seems as if the new Monster S4RS will be available in a "negative" of the now familiar red with white stripe combo. Pearlescent white with a red stripe on the tank, seat cowl, headlight cowling and front mudguard. Not sure how good it will look in the flesh but it's different that's for sure. Reading through the US forum, it seems as if no-one really knows what the final spec will be until all is revealed at the Milan show in a couple of weeks time. All the dealers I have spoken too are being very tight lipped about the whole thing and flatly deny it's existence (as did the staff on the Ducat stand at the NEC....save for one who let slip!) but pretty much all the specs are known anyhow save for a few possible last minute changes to what has already been leaked out. Anyone care to comment on the colour option?

A lot of US customers have already earmarked their hardearned for a deposit on this new fire breathing missile. One other thing, since the aftermarket Termignoni exhausts are likely to be identical to those on the current S4R, does anyone know if they are available in an alloy finish as on other models, rather than in carbon? IMHO they just look naff in carbon. Not sure if Arrow or Leo Vinci do the end cans for the high pipe layout either. Any info someone? It seems as if the bike has already undergone datalogged testing in Italy (as mentioned on the link page) at the Termignoni factory, so it's a safe bet we will know something concrete soon.

Spring is what most people imagine the first deliveries to the UK will be, as it is really pegged as a 2007 model. Beyond that, interestingly (and in view of Ducati's disappointing sales and acceptance of the 999), a completely new Monster is on the cards within the next 18-24 months. Hopefully it won't get the Terblanche treatment as (whilst I admit I bought a 999) he has had his work cut out to follow in the the footsteps of Tamburini's previous masterpieces. Not an easy task.

Emily will have to suffice, until such a time as more pressing financial issues at the moment have passed, then come the Spring I will be getting seriously itchy feet to switch to the new bike. White or Red? Hmmmm. Can't wait for the official pictures to be released then I can get a proper butchers at it.

In the meantime here is the link for those of you who have yet to read the thread on it.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php/topic,34352.0.html

benson
08-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Ok here's my two penneth/euros worth.

Emily is indeed very very lovely as I remember form a short blat the weekend of our Southwold tripping BUT for a bike to live with, in and out of traffic, slow sepped, speed bumps (mind your sump there sir!!!) etc etc I totally understand your point about the 999. It's simply a stunning beautiful machine but I empathise - sold my firebalde for similar reasons 18 months ago (and bought a CBR400 for having that sort of fun...)

SO I think you should have the monster you want, i,e, the somewhat quick one because you WANT it... The 1000S2R I'm sure is super dooper but if it's the great big get lost one you want then you bloomin well have it Rod. Afterall you are communicating with the queen of impulse/on demand?I want it NOW purchasing and what's more - Nonnie would probably agree :D

Here's to dying in a great deal of debt and aren't those Nigerian cats big???

benson
08-11-2005, 06:32 PM
sepped should of course read speed.....

Oh dear - and think of all those impressionable young minds I have had at my whim over the years..is it any wonder education is so f****d up???

Nonnie
08-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Hehe your spelling actually never fails to amaze me!

You're right though. Here's to dying owing it instead of earning it!

Wahey!

farl
08-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Heard from a dealer that it's going to be £2000 more than the £8200 for the S4R. That's book price anyway, expect it'll be fully kitted out for that price.

Paranoid Dave
08-11-2005, 07:12 PM
might even come with glitter ball as standard for that money

benson
08-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Sounds bloomin lovely what ever the price!!

As for my spelling - oh the joys of touch typing. I have often been known to sign myself as Racjek if I'm one finger out.....Say nothing matron!!! :eek:

CK & AK
08-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Had a good wheel kick of the S2R thingy, with the 1000 engine in it on Sat (Snells have one in their showroom if you are interested).
Wanted an on the spot test, but as it had only just been finished being put together - and it was raining (Lots) they declined my kind offer.... :lol:

Was red n'all :cool:

C :burnout:

Pedro
08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Had a good wheel kick of the S2R thingy, with the 1000 engine in it on Sat (Snells have one in their showroom if you are interested).
Wanted an on the spot test, but as it had only just been finished being put together - and it was raining (Lots) they declined my kind offer.... :lol:

Was red n'all :cool:

C :burnout:

S'nice though ain't it C

Rapido had one a few weeks back in Red and also have just taken delivery of a black one with white stripe and white wheels - both look ace

Think I wanna ride of the lary S4R though more.....

emily's driver
09-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Ok here's my two penneth/euros worth.

Emily is indeed very very lovely as I remember form a short blat the weekend of our Southwold tripping BUT for a bike to live with, in and out of traffic, slow sepped, speed bumps (mind your sump there sir!!!) etc etc I totally understand your point about the 999. It's simply a stunning beautiful machine but I empathise - sold my firebalde for similar reasons 18 months ago (and bought a CBR400 for having that sort of fun...)

SO I think you should have the monster you want, i,e, the somewhat quick one because you WANT it... The 1000S2R I'm sure is super dooper but if it's the great big get lost one you want then you bloomin well have it Rod. Afterall you are communicating with the queen of impulse/on demand?I want it NOW purchasing and what's more - Nonnie would probably agree :D

Here's to dying in a great deal of debt and aren't those Nigerian cats big???

Rachel, were it not for the imminent house move I would happily put down a deposit for the new beast right now. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to impulsive buying (though my purchase at the NEC does not count as that was purely for Nonnie's benefit and she's well chuffed with it). I will just have to drool over the prospect of a new toy until next Spring looms closer. So do you like the idea of the white and red colour scheme? Nonnie reckons it would look quite retro in the flesh.

Regards the cats, your are quite right they are 'kin big and Hyeeanas (thats gotta be wrong but I don't have the time to spell check it) are often to be seen being "exercised" in and around Victoria Island (Lagos). Not sure a tin of Whiskas would suffice in their case. I think the owners probably feed them with individuals they disagree with. Probably why I never got into a serious argument with a Nigerian in my time there! Reckon your Kevin would 'ave em though!!

benson
09-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Hmmmm.....I really like the idea of white and red - and yes, terribly retro - having watched the GP at the weekend with the old Yamaha stripes I thought the bikes looked great in that livery - can't wait to see the Ducati for the same reason :twisted:

I hope to try out the S2R sooner rather than later though to be honest I have done so much to Frank "bling bling say no more" that it would have to be a stunning bike for me to consider the change :) HOWEVER I am still really really impressed with the silliness of the Buell XB12s so that may well be the next lunatic purchase in the spring :eek:

Meanwhile happy house moving and packing and the like - and roll on that glam rock experience - just think how good a retro Duc would look with faux fur, sequins and lycra... :burnout:

emily's driver
10-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Hmmmm.....I really like the idea of white and red - and yes, terribly retro - having watched the GP at the weekend with the old Yamaha stripes I thought the bikes looked great in that livery - can't wait to see the Ducati for the same reason :twisted:

I hope to try out the S2R sooner rather than later though to be honest I have done so much to Frank "bling bling say no more" that it would have to be a stunning bike for me to consider the change :) HOWEVER I am still really really impressed with the silliness of the Buell XB12s so that may well be the next lunatic purchase in the spring :eek:

Meanwhile happy house moving and packing and the like - and roll on that glam rock experience - just think how good a retro Duc would look with faux fur, sequins and lycra... :burnout:

Perhaps a little camp for me, but reckon Nonnie would appreciate the adornments more than I. One stop short of a feather boa wrapped around the headlight! Go get the Buell. You know you want it! Hoorah for simultaneous lunatic purchases. We can compare the respective damage to our credit cards in the Spring.

benson
10-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Oh Rod you bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad man... :rolleyes:

OK, I'll go get one in the spring - I knew I could rely on you :)

emily's driver
12-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Check out these pictures of the new S4RS, taken at what looks suspiciously like the factory itself, there is also a glimpse in one of the new white and red framed variant in the background. Mmmmm. I want one! There is also a shot of the new road going Desmosedici, for those of you with a very capacious wallet and/or understanding wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/bank manager!

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/news.html

benson
12-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh what a peach. I think it would be rude of you not to buy one really... :D

I had a nice conversation with a guy on a 999 today - he too is thinking of selling it for a bike that he feels he can get more use out of rather than blatting around roads at light speed...Meanwhile keep on saving...

Hope you get to move in soon!!! Here's to Clive and Hector!!!

xxx

Paranoid Dave
12-11-2005, 05:10 PM
that white one is lovely, its just a shame the S2r stripe is wonky, but looking at the white bit on the red tank and the lack of any visible white on the red cowl side maybe they'll get it right and do the full corse stripe down the middle.

Those levers look quite nice too, very organic and curvy. Just give it a nice tail chop and it'd be spot on :D

logyk
12-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Catch those funky black calipers.........its going to be very tempting !!!!! The testastretta engine is a beauty spinning up so freely!

I can see quite a number of these passing through Uk dealers next year . :cool: :cool: