PDA

View Full Version : Carburator synchroniser

stef
02-11-2005, 09:26 AM
I jus bought a carb synchroniser from the bay.
it was cheap, and i knew it was going to be a simple thing. but then, i didnt expect it to be that simple.
it is a piece of clear plastic tubing, coiled in the middle, with a metal ball inside. the idea is to connect the two ends of this tube into your carbs, and the vacuum will pull the ball. when both carbs are pulling equally, the ball is in the middle, given by another reference ball. dead simple really.
but i wonder how accurate it is.
as anyone got some experience of those ?

A Yerbury
02-11-2005, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=stef]I jus bought a carb synchroniser from the bay.
it was cheap, and i knew it was going to be a simple thing. but then, i didnt expect it to be that simple.
it is a piece of clear plastic tubing, coiled in the middle, with a metal ball inside. the idea is to connect the two ends of this tube into your carbs, and the vacuum will pull the ball. when both carbs are pulling equally, the ball is in the middle, given by another reference ball. dead simple really.
but i wonder how accurate it is.
as anyone got some experience of those ?[/QUOTE

it sounds hilarious well done, but wont they pull at different times meaning your balls swing left to right?

stef
02-11-2005, 09:36 AM
hopefuly not, at 1200rpm, i am hoping the ball will have enough inhertia to "hover".
i still have to try it.

Scotty
02-11-2005, 09:47 AM
if one sucks more than the other wont there be a gradual drift to one end og the tube ?
a bit like if one leg was longer than the other and you kept walking round in circles

stef
02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
that's the idea..
so when they pull equally, the ball stays in the middle.
i am just not sure how sensitive that drift it.

A Yerbury
02-11-2005, 09:53 AM
if one sucks more than the other wont there be a gradual drift to one end og the tube ?
a bit like if one leg was longer than the other and you kept walking round in circles

I think you are right scotty, should/could still work okay...I just think this whole concept is brilliant?! the thought of a mad frenchman peering at his heath robinson tube device has made my day! do it now stef now!! I am curious as to how you get on, that ducati suite blokes technique is a bit bloody tedious (IMO and all that balluks)

stef
02-11-2005, 10:14 AM
maybe i'll take a picture. it's your birthday after all.

A Yerbury
02-11-2005, 10:15 AM
yes please mister!

Zimbo
02-11-2005, 05:36 PM
You may well need to restrict he flow through the tube ends, otherwise you will be likely to get pulses of vaccum, as stated above. I use a morgan carbtune, part of the kit includes tube inserts with a very fine hole through the middle to damp pulses out.
Should be easy enough to do though!