PDA

View Full Version : Got nicked speeding today

Duncan
27-10-2005, 07:17 PM
I got nicked doing 95 on the motorway today on the bike. No complaints, the patrol driver was very polite and showed me a film and with speeds up to 111 mph I can count myself lucky to have been given a £60 fixed penalty and 3 points. :)
As I am a jammy bastard they have even offered me the option of paying £80, going on a litle training course and avoiding the points and fixed penalty. :D

HOWEVER
Heres where it gets scary.
The copper tells me that my bike is uninsured. How he knows this is that his computer says so!!?!! :eek:
The Police now have powers to remove uninsured vehicles from the road and impound them for 14 days after which time they are crushed. I would have to pay £105 for the tow, plus £14 a day storage, plus find my way home fom Devon to Bristol and then get back to Devon to retrieve my bike.
Well, I have 4 bikes and 2 cars and dont carry their documents with me. However I do have insurance so I was naturally pissed off at being effectively guilty until proven innocent and have to put in a call to Carole Nash to get it straightened out. :confused:

What I find scary is we are effectively guilty until proven otherwise. :eek:
That a computer can criminalise me due to an error.
That if I had a 'rider' policy allowing me to ride any machine then I would be permanently getting in trouble.
That if I was to use my insurance to ride an uninsured machine not belonging to me (as my insurance allows me to do) I could get in deep trouble, have the bike impounded or crushed, be left to walk home and NOT have commited an offence. :mad:
That this could happen to anyone including a girl on here and they could be left penniless at the dead of night in an inner city car pound miles from home with no means to get safely home.

As you dont have to carry documents so long as they are presented in 7 days and on a bike its impractical to keep them clean, dry, in the right jacket etc etc this whole thing is a disaster about to happen.

So, if you can manage it, keep your insurance with you at all times, you might just need it.

spacemonkey
27-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Be afraid, very afraid....

Scotty
27-10-2005, 07:51 PM
happens to the best of us :rolleyes: though wen dont all get away with such generocity

odd as a matter of course i carry my doccumentation in my wallet when rideing though not a pen and paper incase of the need to exchange insurance details (god forbid) but i also have 10p and a handkercheif

logyk
27-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I won't ask what the handkerchief is for Scotty.

No......don't tell me !

Little Monster
27-10-2005, 08:45 PM
How has Duncan come up as uninsured? Just MID database **** up? Or do you have a far more sinister theory?

Duncan
27-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I reckon its cos I object to personal data being shared round without my permission. Its why we have a data protection act etc etc.

Data never got shared, I got my come uppance. Big brothers watching you all :rolleyes:

cassiopia
28-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Photocopy or carry original documents under your seat in a zip lock bag. :burnout:

MilesB
28-10-2005, 07:27 AM
As you dont have to carry documents so long as they are presented in 7 days and on a bike its impractical to keep them clean, dry, in the right jacket etc etc this whole thing is a disaster about to happen.

So, if you can manage it, keep your insurance with you at all times, you might just need it.
I always have a photocopy of my V5, Insurance and Licence with me... as you say, originals are NOT a good idea on a bike.

However, if you go touring abroad, make sure you DO take the originals, as other Police aren't as 'friendly' as ours :eek:

Miles

Melnie Mouse
28-10-2005, 07:55 AM
God this is really awful, so what happens to people similar to me, who just ride shop bikes, and can be on different ones from two months to the next?

Well done Duncan for you, you could have lost your license over 100mph :(

CraigMac
28-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Folks,
Calm down a little, There are lots of laws out there and lots of theoretical ways that the powers that be could interpret those laws....
The insurance database is just an indication to a police officer that you are or are not, insured to drive or ride a motor vehicle on a road or a place that the public have access....Thats why you are given 7 days to produce your documents at a police station of your choice(The 7 days starts from midnight on the day that the HORT1 was issued to you)
The road traffic act takes into account that most people dont carry there documents with them, and it is an offence for you to fail to produce them to a police officer.
But getting back to the database,the information is all linked via the police national computer (PNC) and gives driving licence details, insurance details, vehicle excise licence details (Tax disc) and shortly MOT details.
But the system is not foolproof.....Take for instance....You go and call Carol Nash and insure your bike at 9am in the morning, you are insured, over the phone, but you havn't recieved your certificate yet.
At 10am, you go out for a little bimble on your bike and get stopped by the bobbies, who have checked your details via the database and tell you that the records show that this vehicle and you are not insured to use the said bike on a road.
At the worst, the PC will give you a HORT1, he's not going to "Crush" your bike, just because the system has not been updated....
Once again, there are owners with trade policies, which entitle them to ride of drive any vehicle, with the owners consent and owners with "Rider" policies....
So, dont worry, it may have been that the PC didn't explain how the system works.
The "crushing" bit of this legislation was constructed to deal with the chavs and scallys, who dont give a **** about you, me or anyone else....

I hope this puts your minds at rest.....

Regards

PS, im a bit worried about something, but im not at the stage of panic quite yet....I was very worried the other day, but I've now :cool: calmed down....

CK & AK
28-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Duncan, repeat after meeee: " I must mend my ways & slooooow down" ;)

AK always carries a copy of his insurance when driving 4 wheels (or more) cos he has a traders policy. He is covered on my car as a named driver, but otherwise when he drives 4 wheels its a licence for the boys in blue to 'go to town' about the insurance :mad: