PDA

View Full Version : A Bike Trailer

jill
25-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Following my chats about doing a track day, I think it would be a good time to invest in a trailer.

Needs to be a two bike trailer, for a 620 Monster and a Kawasaki ZX7RR.

If not, anyone know a good place to buy one?

Cheers
Jill

slob
25-10-2005, 10:34 AM
http://www.autowbars.co.uk/biketrailers.htm
I'd definitely chack out eBay first though.

jill
25-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks slob. They look very sturdy. They're much more reasonable than I thought. Could get the 3 bike one and take our friends too!

Good idea about eBay.

Thanks for the link!

JMo
25-10-2005, 10:48 AM
I'd recommend a Trelgo (also badged as a trailer-tec I believe), as they really are excellent for the money - not too large, but very solid and tow really well.

If you get the 2+1 version (that is a twin bike, with an extra centre channel so when you are just carrying one, it is in the centre of the trailer for stability) - then it gives you the widest range of options - you can even carry 3 dirtbikes at a squeeze on one...

The Trelgo is around £380 (try the Trailer Centre at Guildford - 01483 566127, although you may well have a dealer nearer to you) - and you really can't get better for the money...

I'd stay clear of the Dave Cooper trailers, as they seem to flex an awful lot, and are not really suitable for heavy road-bikes...

Another alternative would be a folding one (easy to store), but very expensive in comparision...

xxx

JMo
25-10-2005, 10:52 AM
www.towbarsni.co.uk/trelgo_trailers/trelgo_tpm2_motor_bike_trailer.htm

xxx

jill
25-10-2005, 01:59 PM
That's an interesting point JMo, if you have a two bike trailer, can you use it with one bike on one side, physics would imply not!

Certainly the Trelgo looks much more shiny and therefore, better!

Thanks.
Jill

JMo
25-10-2005, 04:12 PM
That's an interesting point JMo, if you have a two bike trailer, can you use it with one bike on one side, physics would imply not!

Possibly (the Trelgo is very stable), but I wouldn't want to try it with my Monster, certainly not at any speed... x

Certainly the Trelgo looks much more shiny and therefore, better!

Aye x

xxx

jill
25-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Anyone had any experience with Indespension trailers? They look pretty spiffy too - although I see the price tag is getting amusing...

phil996
26-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Be carefull with "two" bike trailers,they will usually take two dirt bikes not two road bikes.Get a three bike then when you are "solo" you can use the centre rail. :burnout:

jill
26-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Good idea, and as JMo pointed out, I'd never be without friends with a 3 bike trailer.

And now we have realised a pretty salient point...where do we keep it?! :o Seeing as the garage has the two bikes in, I will need to get the measuring tape out! We have a two car drive, but that's got two cars on it...!

I didn't like the look of the folding trailers, they looked like they were made out of plumbing material.

The search continues...

Dave G
26-10-2005, 06:15 PM
It might actually be more convenient to borrow or hire a transit,,we've done the trailer thing and vans are so much easier,somewhere to shelter and change into/outof leathers(try it in a car in the wet!) from rain-or sun too.

MotoNik
26-10-2005, 08:39 PM
I'd go along with Jen's recommendation of the Trelgo ones, they're pretty nice for the money.

The 2 bike/ 1 bike thing is worth considering too - you won't always have two bikes on there.

I've got a Kliponoff that I bought off ebay a few years ago. Very solid, very robust. Quite heavy, but it's stable at speed - I had it up to 95 with my supermoto on it once, steady as a rock!!

Ebay is worth a punt though.

Top tip when you buy one - buy a lock to secure the trailer to the car when you're not towing. Stops scumbags wandering off with them - quite common by all accounts.

Nik

JMo
26-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Just for clarification, the Trelgo link I sent you comes with two bike channels as standard, but you buy the third channel for about £35 and it slots between the two others - giving you space for 3 narrow (typically dirtbikes), or two larger bikes on the same chassis...

Stowage can be a problem, but the nice thing about the Trelgo is for such a robust trailer, it is comparitively short and not too wide - and at a push you could stand it up against a wall (might take two of you though x)

Of course if it's only going to be used for a couple of trackdays, then you could always just ride your bike/s to the track... It's a great incentive not to crash if you have to ride home you know...

xxx

marchesini
26-10-2005, 11:23 PM
And now we have realised a pretty salient point...where do we keep it?! :o Seeing as the garage has the two bikes in, I will need to get the measuring tape out! We have a two car drive, but that's got two cars on it...!

I didn't like the look of the folding trailers, they looked like they were made out of plumbing material.

The search continues...

I used to have a Transit but when that went to the great scrapyard in the sky, I started looking at trailers. The Trelgo ones looked good but in the end I went for the folding version by Bikelug.

http://www.bikelug.com/uk/BLtwin.html

It's really well made, can be put together in 2 minutes (honestly) and comes apart in 5 easy pieces: 2 wheels, folding ramp, axle and the lighting board. All it needs are three self locking bolts to put it together and it is sturdy enough to carry a full size bike. I've only used it for the one bike so far so can't vouch for its sturdiness when loaded but I've every confidence it'll do the job.

I bought the two bike option so that when one bike is loaded, it sits in the centre of the axle and when two bikes are needed, they move to either side of the centre to balance each other out.

Yes, they are expensive compared to the fixed trailers but it does mean that when I go to drop off my track bike somewhere, it means that I don't have to tow back a bouncing empty trailer along the motorway. Of course it folds up to easily fit in the boot of a car as well as being easy to store. I managed to blag a bit of a discount off the guy as I bought the two-bike version (about 10-15% as I recall) so it might be worth a phone call.

Hope this helps

simon

nambduke
10-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Don't know how to drop in a hyperlink, but if you search under nambduke, you'll find a few other lines on trailers.

Regards,
nambduke

jill
11-11-2005, 09:32 AM
JMo - point taken about track days! I would hope the expense of dropping it was incentive enough. I'm thinking more of, I wouldn't want to ride home knackered.

Marchesini - they look perfect (bikelug). Yes, they're a little steep pricewise, but I think the storage capability is worth it. Thanks, a great link. (I wish they'd been at the NEC, I probably would have bought one!)

Thanks for everyone elses comments too.

Cheers
Jill

marchesini
11-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Marchesini - they look perfect (bikelug). Yes, they're a little steep pricewise, but I think the storage capability is worth it. Thanks, a great link. (I wish they'd been at the NEC, I probably would have bought one!)

What I would do is to phone him up or drop him a mail and ask if he has any ex-demo trailers or something that are cosmetically damaged that you may be able to get a discount on. I got a small discount on mine so I would expect that he would try to sort you out either way.

Worth a try as I have yet to see a Bike Lug one on ebay.

HTH

simon

jill
11-11-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks Simon, I will definitely try that.