PDA

View Full Version : Knackered Sparks

w108rna
24-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Anyone suffer from 'Pourous Sparks'?

During the summer my bike was laid up for about 3 weeks due to me working in London, when i finally got back to it for a spin, i fired it up, it let out some huge backfires, ran very rough for a few moments........and then died.

I put new Sparks in, hey presto, jobs a good'un.

The bike ran fine for the rest of the summer but has been laid up again for about three weeks due to other commitments. Went to fire it up the other day and the same thing as above happened, Big blue flame out the back (open pipes), loud backfire and died.

I have been told that because there is no fuel tap on my bike, it is possible that fuel gets into the cylinders during periods of inactivity and can make the plugs get funky and not work properly? Does anyone know about this, suffered from this or have a fab solution other then taking the plugs out during periods of inactivety.

I await some informed replies. Its a M900, 2000 model on Carbs.

Ta ta.

slob
24-10-2005, 02:59 PM
you could always whip the plugs out and turn it over a couple of times to clear any fuel from the cylinders, clean 'em and put 'em back in then try again after prolonged lay up.

w108rna
24-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Hi Rob. I tried cleaning the plugs and also heating them. I turned the engine over without the plugs to clear the cylinders and still nothing. Went out, bought 2 new plugs, fired straight away.Maybe i just need to invest in more spark plugs?

I explained the above 'Pourous theory' to some biker friends and had it laughed at. Who knows, its works now anyway, just gotta take the sparks out if its being laid up for any amount of time.

Ta ta.