PDA

View Full Version : Jammed sprocket - any ideas?

gary tompkins
23-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Went to remove the geabox sprocket on the trike build yesterday, as I need to send it away to get a 530 width replacement made. The damn thing is rusted solid onto the output shaft and won't budge, and took me half an hour just to free off the rusty keeper plate :mad:

Judging by salt corrosion spotted on the rest of the bike, I'm assuming it's caused by winter use and poor maintanance. So far tried soaking in WD40 for 48 hours, tapping with a hammer and attempting to shift it using a 3 legged bearing puller. Next stop will be hitting it with bigger hammers, and applying heat with a blowlamp.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how did they sort it?

CK & AK
23-10-2005, 08:17 PM
GT, all I can say is - you ARE going the right way about it mate.

I'll give you a bell!

Alan

Jim66a
23-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Bloody Hell! That must have been on there for a while!!
I shouldnt get the shaft too hot unless you are replacing the output oil seal at the same time!

Paranoid Dave
23-10-2005, 08:19 PM
maybe its just scared at the thought of growing an extra wheel and wont give in that easy :D

MotoNik
23-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Cut the bugger off with a grinder? Good excuse for noisy power tools!! :D

Pugi
23-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Not sure how it would work in this case. But at home we usually lay rusty bicycle chains in a bowl of Coca Cola to get it sparkling clean the next day. :eek:

scrapps
24-10-2005, 12:36 PM
I have used coke for rusty parts before and it has done a great job.. even freed some pistons on a 1930s engine when could not push out with 10 ton press used lots of coke (pref mixed with jd than motor parts) good luck scrapps.. :)

gary tompkins
24-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys for the tip, and for the call last night Alan. Resisted temtation to attack it again yet and heating it will only be used as a last resort.

I plan to set an alarm for 4am, sneak out to the garage in my bath robe and surprise it. Flicking the light on at the last minute, before lunging at it with hammer, pullers , grinder etc.. Ah Hah!!! :eek:

No one expects the spanish inquisition :twisted:

gary tompkins
24-10-2005, 11:34 PM
maybe its just scared at the thought of growing an extra wheel and wont give in that easy :D

Oh har bloody har :rolleyes:

marchesini
24-10-2005, 11:46 PM
Gary, if you need any help with hitting things, I can give you a hand. I like hitting things.

Not much help but thought I'd offer anyway.

Laters

simon

The Kevlar Kid
25-10-2005, 07:40 AM
Has anyone else had this problem, and how did they sort it?

Patience will be your best friend here.

Soak in releasing fluid again, put a socket against the sprocket (so you don't foul the end of the shaft) and give it a heafty tap (towards the bike - as if your fitting it). Hopefully this will both release the sprocket a little and ensure it is sitting square.

Next fit your bearing puller (I assume this is a threaded one and not a slide hammer) and take out the slack, then add about a full turn (before fitting this you may want to put a strong flat washer over the end of the shaft to avoid damaging it). If this doesnt pull it off, add more releasing fluid and leave like this overnoght - it should gradually draw the sprocket off.

Jim66a
25-10-2005, 07:55 AM
If you weren't 170 miles away you could have borrowed my hydraulic bearing puller.. Might be worth going and hiring one for an evening tho.. They seem to shift things the 'screw' type pullers won't budge.

Unit 18
26-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Worth trying "Plus Gas" and letting it soak for a while. Its the best stuff we've used and does actually work.

gary tompkins
30-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Worth trying "Plus Gas" and letting it soak for a while. Its the best stuff we've used and does actually work.

I agree Plus Gas is better at releasing rusty bits than WD40. Trouble is it's ages since i saw it in any of my local shops, and assumed it wasn't sold anymore?

claicerrig
30-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Yes it is Gary

You can also get it in Airosol Form Too :lol:

Have you tried soaking it in NON OILY NAIL VARNISH Remover.

That works a treat when i have been stripping Motors that have been used in the Briney

Just an idea :D

gary tompkins
30-10-2005, 10:15 PM
So far -

1. soaked in WD40 for a week

1. been clouted hard with hammer and big old box spanner i had handy

3. had decent 3 leg puller on it - given lodsa welly

result - sprocket moved about 1mm

ARSE! :mad:

Don't fancy the heat option, so looks like its time try the mini angle grinder :rolleyes:

Scotty
31-10-2005, 08:22 AM
you need to shout at it more ,
if it moved 1mm then its all but loose move it the other way etc etc
though angel grinder option does sound tempting

CraigMac
31-10-2005, 12:11 PM
"Plus gas formula A" is the way to go, try one of the bigger motor factors. It is readily available with most of them. If you cant find any, try contacting the manufacturer "English abrasives and chemicals ltd Marsh Lane London N17 0XA. Ive only got an old number for them which is 081 808 4545.

Another good product is "Holts Rustola penetrating oil" Holt Lloyd ltd, Wilmslow Cheshire.

Hope this helps.....

Regards

A Yerbury
31-10-2005, 12:14 PM
craig mac releasing fluid?

I am a bit concerned (not much though)

Alex.

CraigMac
31-10-2005, 12:23 PM
I was going to mention that penetrating oil sounds a bit rude, but had a fleeting moment of seriousness....odd, i know, but there you have it!!

Regards...

A Yerbury
31-10-2005, 01:11 PM
that does sound a bit fruity.. cripes! earlier on someone was mentioning airsol? I am sure that's a very naughty word! they are everywhere?

Alex.
ps.all this talk has made my willy go a bit hard?!

gary tompkins
19-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Well guys, that poxy sprocket is finally off :bunny:

2 hours attacking it with an angle grinder, and finally a dremel reduced it to a neat 3D jigsaw puzzle. A few small marks on the shaft splines, but nothing serious, and pretty good considering what a total git it was to get at.

The blue haze from my non-stop swearfest in the garage has just about cleared. Off for a hot bath and some scented candles...

... deep breaths & relax :)

New 525 Renthal sprocket/keeper plate bunged on this afternoon (Thanks Stuart) with lodsa coppa grease - this bugger won't seize on! The alignment is near spot on with the trike rear end too, so I'm well happy and can offer up the chain next week :D

Albie
20-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Keep the bits for trophy for next years awards. Best mod :D

Paranoid Dave
20-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Why would he want them back? Surely he's going to win that category with his 'half a car' modification :lol:

Gary, as a picky sod and a lover of shiney bikes, i notice you have fitted the new sprocket without even attempting to clean the engine or swingarm from its build up of multi year grime. I do hope you are going to do something about that.

gary tompkins
20-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Pee Dee,

B O L L O X :p

Yours with love....