PDA

View Full Version : Ducati twin headlights

ChrisM
16-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Help, I have bought a used set of the ducati performance twin headlights (the ones that look like bug eyes). The wiring has been chopped off so I dont know what wire goes were. I have got a plug with wire that fits the headlight main loom.

So I am wondering if anyone else has a set and can advise what wire goes were. They have the following coloured wires.

Red, blue, black and green.

I have worked out that the black and blue wires are earths, but the green appears to be main beam and red high beam. There doesn't seam to be a side light so I can only assume that one of the lights is used as a side light (eg main beam) and the main beam set using the high beam with the light pointing down as so not to blind people.

Any advise welcome.

Thanks

Bunny
17-10-2005, 02:33 AM
Try wiring the twin lights up to a battery using the black as an earth, and see what lights up when you try the other wires as positives.
Not sure why you'd need two earths.
Isn't high beam and main beam the same thing ?
you definitely should not just wire the lights into the original headlight socket, you will probably overload the loom, use 2 relays, one for main and one for dip

thick-leyther
17-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Just a few thoughts,

You will need to get advice on loom cable and fuse carrier ratings for the original sidelight feed, this is because the Dip and Main (high) beam lights are higher wattage than the sidelight, (higher wattage = more current).

If you connect the sidelight cable to the Main beam light and deflect down you will lose the option to get extra light when selecting Main beam.

Better to connect to the Dip beam light (assuming ratings are ok) and use the Dip beam as a running light or not connect the sidelight cable at all.

ChrisM
17-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the advice, the lights are genuine ducati so they should just plug in. I have spoken to woods ducati and they are trying to get the wiring diagram but they think they should just plug in. So i only need to work out what wire. From what they have said there is no side lights just head lights and main beam.

I am still wondering if any one else on this site has a set fitted, who wouldn't mind checking the plug for colour order.

Any way thanks again.

ChrisM
19-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the advice, got hold of a wiring diag and worked out what goes were. The only thing I have to do is sort a side light out for the mot and have been advised I can use an led as long as its white.

Thanks