PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely Gutted!!!

eonan
14-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone,

Some of you have been sharing my journey over the past couple of weeks, so I though you might like to hear this.

I've been after a good condition, older [pre 2000] yellow Monster for a while now. They're quite hard to find, and a lot of time and effort has gone in to it. When I did eventually find one last week, a similar effort went in to ensuring that it would be delivered to me safely.

MCD [highly, highly recommended by the way] brought her up to Perth from London. I'm on a restricted licence so I had arranged for our local [actually make that our only] Ducati Service Centre to fit a restictor kit to it. I know, I know, but it's only for a little while...then it'll be like having a brand new bike :D

Anyway, they came to pick her up this morning and what happens? The guy drops her!!! I wasn't here when it happened but my Dad says that there is a small dent and some scratching on the tank. I cannot even begin to describe how I am feeling :eek: :mad: :( :( :( :( :(

What I was wondering was, what can I say I want from them? Can I expect them to replace the tank with a new one? My heart says they should, but my head say's they will probably fob me of with a repair.

What do you guys think? What would you do in a similar position? I'm not really calm enough to be objective at the moment.

Paranoid Dave
14-10-2005, 07:32 PM
if they dropped it, they can pay to have it sorted. A new tank would be good and if its dented they might just have to if you put your foot down.

Gits
make them pay!

Pugi
14-10-2005, 08:41 PM
What Dave said. If they dropped it they sort it. New tank or not may depend on size of dent as you say. Not sure which flaws a repaired tank has, but someone here will be able to tell you. Don't back down whatever you do!

rich
14-10-2005, 09:10 PM
All new bits mate, imo

sad to hear this. make a list of all damage /every scratch !!

rich

Albie
14-10-2005, 09:11 PM
So sorry to hear that. I know how you feel cos I discovered a tiny little dent in mine which was covered up by corse sticker. But I know its there. :(

Paranoid Dave
14-10-2005, 09:49 PM
just think, any little mark on the bike you can blame on them and get it back better than you bought it anyway. Sad right now but on a winner me thinks.

NattyBoy
14-10-2005, 11:37 PM
The dent has probably been caused by he switchgear clouting it which is relativley minor. New tank would be great , but if its an independent outfit then its unlikely. I wouldnt be too dispondent..agood repair will be fine and as a trade off I would push for some free servicing or similar to make things up.

That said..if its a proper dealer outfit, then dont settle for anything less than a new tank and then some !!

Good luck mate..

Nat

Vincent Jones
15-10-2005, 07:43 AM
I purchased a 2002 S4 which I found (having got home) to have a very small dent in the tank. Because it's hardly noticeable I can live with it. The bottom line is, you have to live with your bike and you have to ask yourself, can I live with it knowing I have P45 filler masking a dent in the tank? If the answer is yes, then fine. However, if it were my decision and the tank requires a repair using a filler, as opposed to just spraying due some scratches, then I would insist on a new tank. Period!

Jim66a
15-10-2005, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't the company be insured against this type of incident?

eonan
15-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I sent them an email last night, quite light hearted, saying that 'I bet you didn't think you'd have to be putting a new a tank on as well'. Even put a smilie in there although smiling was the last bloody thing I was doing!

Anyway, when I called this morning he said that the guy who picked the bike up [literally :mad: ] stopped off at a paint shop place to get prices. I sort of laughingly said 'No new tank then?' to which he said that if I shouted loud enough, he would very reluctantly have to take one off a showroom bike and replace it but... would be pretty annoyed about it as the original tank was far from new.

Fair enough I guess. Probably not worth pis*ing them off seeing as how they are the only service centre I can go to. Hopefully the repairs will be done well and who knows, it may even end up looking better than before!

Thanks for sharing my anguish everyone, it really helped to offload :D

Scotty
15-10-2005, 11:24 AM
humm i guess they could easily 'sting you' in the future if they have a monopoly, all depends how far you want to travel i guess

DesmoDog
15-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Arse, they should sort it whatever. Get them to sort out the tank whichever way, and I would expect at least the service to be done at a lower rate.

A Yerbury
15-10-2005, 02:04 PM
repaired and resprayed would look better than it did, paint fades. In fact if you asked nicely they could spray a better yellow, now would be the time to get some different decals (if you were considering such a move)

AY.

ps.know how yoou feel etc, clown knocked mine over after 1 week then drove off, the upside is I have a unique shade of red.
pps.It wasnt a real clown like coco.

eonan
15-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Well now that you mention it...I love the DUCATI decal in this photo. Any idea where you can get them?

A Yerbury
15-10-2005, 02:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/set-of-2-silver-red-yellow-ducati-decals-for-cars-bikes_W0QQitemZ8007158137QQcategoryZ36677QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Paranoid Dave
15-10-2005, 02:24 PM
if ebay can't supply it, most ducati branches probably could? If you want to be totally unique, have some one off stickers made like I did and then you can watch other people asking where they came from.

with regards the paint, yes if they are your only local people then annoying them beyond belief would not be good but they know you shouldn't settle for anything other than a quality repair. Stamp your foot if you have to to get what you need, so long as its what you need and not what you might want.
If that makes sense.

eonan
15-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Ah...you are the fount of all monster knowledge. I really like that cafe racer burnt yellow they've used for the new Sport1000...maybe I'll chance my luck.

A Yerbury
15-10-2005, 03:12 PM
like this? I think (italics) I am the only one in the club?

Paranoid Dave
15-10-2005, 03:39 PM
try and get the rest of the bodywork done too tho, all well getting a tank done but if the hugger and cowl dont match. Oh yeh and the screen.

DesmoDog
15-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Clowns are scary. That there Ducati logo is the one offa the earlier monsters. It's on my tank - It's nice, but like the boys say, why not go for something a little different. Me? I love that Ducati Mechanicca (Whatever) logo with the cog and the gauntlet and the, er, lightening. Maybe it's a spanner.

stuartg
15-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Just make sure that they do a proper repair, ie fit the decals in the right place prior to laquering