PDA

View Full Version : Scottoiler flick on rear tyre

Duchess
14-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Having read just about every post containing the word 'scottoiler' I know I'm at risk of opening a huge can of worms here but...

Can anyone help with reducing the amount of lube flicked on to the rear tyre? The feeder tube has just been changed from the rear sprocket to the front sprocket which has helped, but not eliminated the problem. I've currently got it set on 2 so don't think it's too high. My commute is 16 miles into central London so the bike can get pretty hot and the scottoiler's in the usual place, under the side panel. Is it as simple as switching from the green to red oil? Is it possible to totally eliminate lube flick? And has lube on the rear tyre caused anyone any problems?

Pugi
14-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Lube on rubber eh? :D

Sorry...couldn't resist. I'm sure someone more helpful will be along soon.

CK & AK
14-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Remove Scottoiler - job done :lol:

well - you did ask........ :rolleyes: :D

Duchess
14-10-2005, 11:47 AM
"Rubber on lube" - You're forgiven - it's Friday pm & it definitely made me smile as well as giving me an idea for the weekend ;)

"Remove Scottoiler" - the man's a genius - why didn't I think of that?!!! :lol:

CK & AK
14-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Removal?

why thankyou Duchess :lol: , but I havent had a sex change.... :eek:

C

A Yerbury
14-10-2005, 11:54 AM
what number is the dial on? I dont have a scot but I know a man who does.

Duchess
14-10-2005, 11:57 AM
what number is the dial on? I dont have a scot but I know a man who does.
Dial's on 2 - any lower and I'm not convinced the chain would be getting enough oil

Scotty
14-10-2005, 12:06 PM
ive got the dial on zero it wont turn off any more and i still get fling onto the wheel muss grumbel

A Yerbury
14-10-2005, 12:09 PM
It stands to reason you would get more splash from the front, as the oil gathers then flies back into thin air (and tyres) as opposed to the chain as it spins upwards on the rear sprocket.

MotoNik
14-10-2005, 12:10 PM
You mentioned the "S" word! :eek:

Mine is set on about 2 as well and I still get a bit of fling on to the tyre. I'm glad to say it doesn't matter that much - I've had it over to the edge of the tyre and i've not fallen off yet! :lol:

Not sure if it's because it's a V-twin, and they generate a lot of vacuum in the Scottoiler, but they do seem to need turning right down - might be worth running it a bit lower. As long as the rollers remain slightly wet then it's ok. Try it and see how it goes?

Failing that, just keeping wiping the tyre over to remove the build up. Not a great remedy I know, but then how often do you really use that last 15mm on the edge of your tyre?

cheers,

Nik

Duchess
14-10-2005, 12:24 PM
It stands to reason you would get more splash from the front, as the oil gathers then flies back into thin air (and tyres) as opposed to the chain as it spins upwards on the rear sprocket.
Nope - definitely got more splash when it was on the rear than I do now it's on the front.

Scotty/Nik - I'll try turning it lower again & see what happens

Nik - how often do I use the last 15mm? You've got a point - tend to find the exhaust hits the ground before the tyre's edge! :eek: But whilst there's lube on it, kind of puts me off trying and there's a lovely sweeping left hand bend on my commute... :(

DavidT
14-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Interestingly (well, thats overselling it a bit) mine is turned down low but it still makes a huge mess. I get a bit on the wheel but not on the running surface of the tyre. I would have thought that the front sprocket spun too fast and would have thrown off even more.

Pedro
14-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Mine is set to about 1, the chain gets plenty of oil and the flick is there but not too bad. I do use the slightly thicker red oil too.

Ped

Zimbo
14-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Ignore the numbers altogether. Adjust the scottoiler so you're getting one drip per 45 - 60 seconds onto the chain.

The Kevlar Kid
14-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Remove Scottoiler - job done :lol:

well - you did ask........ :rolleyes: :D

There speaks the voice of reason......

Nasty nasty nasty :bunny:

MotoNik
16-10-2005, 03:55 PM
There speaks the voice of reason......

Nasty nasty nasty :bunny:

You say that, but my bike's done over 21k now, I fitted the Scottoiler at 7k, and the bike is still on its original chain and sprockets. I think I've adjusted it three times now. On that basis I can live with a bit of fling!

cheers,

Nik

Duchess
17-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Ignore the numbers altogether. Adjust the scottoiler so you're getting one drip per 45 - 60 seconds onto the chain.
When the bike's hot or cold?

The Kevlar Kid
17-10-2005, 11:34 AM
You say that, but my bike's done over 21k now, I fitted the Scottoiler at 7k, and the bike is still on its original chain and sprockets. I think I've adjusted it three times now. On that basis I can live with a bit of fling!

cheers,

Nik

Mines on 14k, never had a Scott oiler fitted, never had to adjust the chain in between tyre changes (3.5k). It gets a thourough clean when the rest of the bike does - which is only about three times a year, is lubed most weekends, and is not showing any signs of wear (stretching etc).

The good thing about cleaning and lubing it manually is it actually gives you the opportunity to inspect it thoroughly, looking for signs of wear, tight spots, plates starting to break up etc. Something that most people probably wouldn't 'get round to' with a Scott oiler fitted. I know I wouldn't.

Each to their own though :D

CK & AK
17-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Mines on 14k, never had a Scott oiler fitted, never had to adjust the chain in between tyre changes (3.5k). It gets a thourough clean when the rest of the bike does - which is only about three times a year, is lubed most weekends, and is not showing any signs of wear (stretching etc).

The good thing about cleaning and lubing it manually is it actually gives you the opportunity to inspect it thoroughly, looking for signs of wear, tight spots, plates starting to break up etc. Something that most people probably wouldn't 'get round to' with a Scott oiler fitted. I know I wouldn't.

Each to their own though :D

I couldnt agree more - its always lubed after a ride, and also checked when bike is cleaned too.
Like you, AK & I have never (to date!) had a prob, clocking up between us about 15 - 25,000 miles each year on the Ducati's.
Most chains last for about 20 - 30,000 we find, excpet of course the race bikes.

as you say KK - each to their own........................ :cool:

Phoenix
17-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Don't have one on now but did before I went racing and did about 15k with the one I got now plus this year racing. Set on one but had to change to 2 if the weather got very cold - i'm talking - figures here though.
I've had my chain for 3 years and raced all year with it so I quite rate them and when I give up racing one will go straight back on.
It's a matter of adjustment and personal preference. I didn't have to adjust chain either but then maintenance is key issue here and if you look after your chain, scottoiler or not, it will last much better than one thats unmaintained.
Like CK says - regardless of a scotoiler on or not, a chain still requires cleaning, do that and all should be well.
Well thats what I think anyway :)

Zimbo
17-10-2005, 08:07 PM
When the bike's hot or cold?

Shouldn't make much or any difference, unless the reservoir is located somewhere it and it's load of oil will be heated significantly by warmth from the engine. If it is, then warm, perhaps adjust it after a run?

Duchess
18-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks to all who've replied. Think I'm going to give the thicker oil a go just to see what happens but the situation definitely seems to be improving. Not that I'd know at the moment as a seriously sprained thumb from an off road tumble at the weekend has put me back on the train for a week :-( Clutch control through London is a little difficult when you can't grip!

Darry
18-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Duchess, I also get oil flick and mine is set on 1!

Think I'll try the thicker oil too, I know this is for hotter countries, but with global warming and Smog, London could easily be mistaken for Rome. :rolleyes:

Luckily for me I get to ride every day... but unluckily don't have a garage and haven't found an easy way to lube the chain whilst under bike cover, so lubing (the chain) every day would be impractical... so thanks Scottoiler!

cerebus
18-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I've had a Scottoiler on now for most of the 20,000 miles I've done. I've changed from single dripper thing to rear sprocket, to double drippers either side of rear sprocket, to single dripper to front sprocket.

I've never had any fling onto the rear tyre, though it does hit the number plate. I do get some drip from the front sprocket when parked sometimes (yes it is Scottoil not bike oil). Wonder if my rear tyre is too thin ?

As the whole "Scottoiler - the lubing tool of Satan" debate has been resurrected, I would say, yes it is much better to clean/lube your chain yourself on a regular basis. For those of us unlikely to do that though, a Scottoiler is the next best thing.

Though I have just cleaned my bike for the first time in months :)

Cerebus the devil's lubrication advocate

The Kevlar Kid
18-10-2005, 03:51 PM
As the whole "Scottoiler - the lubing tool of Satan" debate has been resurrected....

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D