PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights on 100% of the time now

djkus
13-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Just discovered that my brake lights are constantly on, this conincides with my oil light problem which is brought on by heavy rain... ie-it doesnt work at all when it gets wet, strange i know...

anyway, the brake lights are now on 100% of the time, not very safe !
I checked tghe microswitch on the front brake, i think its clicking, but not sure, where is the sensor for the back brake ?

is this a common problem?

i know all problems are rain related.. and my bike is outside 24 hours a day at moment :(

Little Monster
13-10-2005, 06:56 PM
sorry, not helpful at all but couldn't resist

I'll go away now and let the helpful suggestions roll in (did bump you up to the top of new posts though :p )

A Yerbury
13-10-2005, 07:09 PM
plunger on foot (not your foot) take the saddle off and fiddle with teenage girls or the bulb, mine does this on occasion, its the h2o, and vibes.

Nonnie
13-10-2005, 07:28 PM
My oil light does it too. You are not alone.

djkus
13-10-2005, 07:36 PM
great idea, are you sure that fiddling with teenage girls fixes it?
Id give it a go, but dont wanna go to jail, ill maybe fiddle with the bulb in morning to see if it makes any difference.
i assumed it was one of the switches shorting out with the rain.

rain sucks so much. but when i put a cover over my bike it scratched it in places and i was mad so thought water better than scratches..

nik_the_brief
13-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Take the seat off and check the bulb holder.

I had that problem and it turned out to be a short between the two connectors that clip onto the springs which touch the back of the bulb. The accumulated dirt and grime was making both filaments light when the headlight/rear light was illuminated.

I took the whole lot apart, cleaned it up and put it back together after giving the contacts a quick once over with an emery board I nicked from the missus. Only took quarter of an hour or so. Had to rebuild it with the addition of a bit of tin foil to keep the connections solid but you'll find that about half the Monnies on the roads have the same adaptation.

Good thing I was able to sort it as I'm still waiting for a new unit to arrive at Ducati Ashford although I ordered it three weeks ago! They're not expensive when they eventually arrive - just over a tenner so if all else fails...

craigie
13-10-2005, 10:12 PM
anyway, the brake lights are now on 100% of the time, not very safe !
I checked tghe microswitch on the front brake, i think its clicking, but not sure, where is the sensor for the back brake ?
:(

My switch was clicking as well, but totally knackered inside. Only way to know is to take it out and have a look, then get a new one....no matter how much WD40 you spray on the corroded bits they just won't grow back.......

dlloyduk
13-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Sort the switches then make or buy an LED rear light and end the hassle. I made one up with 45 Super Bright LED's (15 for Tail and 20 for brakes) and a bit of circuit board. I now have no problems with my rear end. I did this after farting round with bit of silver foil in the dark and blowing fuses etc.
The rear light works a treat and is really bright.

djkus
14-10-2005, 07:29 PM
found out it was in fact the microswitch for the front brake sticking, quick poke with a screwdriver and its sorted.
i did notice after fixing it that one of the filaments is out on the rear light, meaning it doenst light up with lights on, only with brake..
quick look on ebay shows us this great offer..
bought one there.. looks good price eh.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8006939453&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Paranoid Dave
14-10-2005, 07:37 PM
my neutral light has been on constantly from the return from arrow mill last year. It was a little wet if i remember.