Scotty
12-10-2005, 04:31 PM
nay in my book
chain rubs on swing arm
go bigger rear

claicerrig
12-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Which part of the swing arm scotty ?

I have no noticed any rubbing but it pays to ask just in case :)

madhatter
12-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Yay :D

Makes it very quick off the mark

Yeah!! Like you have to hang on for grim-death if you grab a handfull of throttle in 1st gear with the standard sprocket :eek: .

Scotty
12-10-2005, 05:00 PM
see now i didnt think itwas a problem as such but some bloke pointed it out think it was some employe at a main dealer think it was after snaping chain at mallory so it might have been ducati coventry (is that jhp ?) might just be the ride heigh on my bike that makes it a tight fit

just check the swingarm for the signs i guess

if you wanted a different reason for going bigger at the rear rather than smaller at the front is the extra stress of a tighter circumfrance on the 14 toother

or agains that is the extra weight of a larger rear and the possible need for a new chain if its not long enough

oh it was just the chain sliders that were well worn rather than the actual metal

Shauns4
12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I have tried both smaller front (14t) / larger rear (39t) in all combinations, go for the larger rear sprocket and std front, less chain noise. I also have the standard chain length (100 links) with this set up, if your chain is new though you may struggle without extra links.

Shaun

claicerrig
12-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah!! Like you have to hang on for grim-death if you grab a handfull of throttle in 1st gear with the standard sprocket :eek: .

:D Ask the guy following me out of the Foggerty essess last Tuesday on the Mille how high it can get on a full throttle roll on :twisted: :twisted:

Vincent Jones
23-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Admittedly the standard S4 sprocket set-up is a bit of a hand full in traffic but I seem to have got accustomed to it, even if it means slipping the clutch especially when around 20 mph. Surely if you go up a tooth on the rear, the closer ratio would require more frequent gear changes? Or am I talking cr*p?

tommo
23-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I have a new renthal 14t sprocket £10 if u want it, bought it by mistake!