PDA

View Full Version : carb cleaning tip ?

stef
12-10-2005, 03:07 PM
is there a quick way to clean carbs ?
they have a drain plug, so could they be cleaned with some special carb cleaner, and then drained without too much fuss and screwdriver work ?
the haynes is a little fuzzy on that one, and desicribes taking everything apart. I am not too keen on the idea..

A Yerbury
12-10-2005, 03:14 PM
once you get that airbox off they become far less intimidating, you can buy spray in cleaner (I use wurths for what it's worth) but a fellow took mine aoart last year during a dyno run and found them full of white oily crap. So do one of those things.

Pedro
12-10-2005, 03:30 PM
It's worth taking the carbs off to clean them. Don't seperate them though.

Most of the grot will be in the float bowls so whip them off and clean with carb cleaner and compressed air if you've got it.

While you're that far in, you should fit a DynoJet Stage two kit and K&N Filter with an open airbox - you'll need some free flowing cans too. The difference is huge, much better midrange and loads of great noise!!! Dead easy to fit too.

Ped

stef
12-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Do recomend to get one of those Carb refurbishing kits as well, with all the o-ring seals and so on?

Pedro
12-10-2005, 09:41 PM
Do recomend to get one of those Carb refurbishing kits as well, with all the o-ring seals and so on?

Err, never heard of them!! I reused everything that wasn't replaced by the Dynojet kit.

Ped

PS the screws holding the float bowls on will be fecking tight! Soak them in WD40 for 24 hours and make sure your screw driver fits properly.