PDA

View Full Version : front sprocket

creepy
11-10-2005, 06:12 PM
hello everyone,
anyone know what the largest front sprocket is for a 600,tried ringing the ducati dealers in purley,but can,t get an answer! i,ve got a 15 tooth up front at the moment not sure on rear yet,(haven't got down there to check),i want too increase my cruise speed,front sprockets got too be easier too change!? thanx in advance
creepy

JMo
11-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Most people would stick with the 15 on the front (infact a lot change to a 14 for better acceleleration), and I doubt you'd get much bigger than a 16 on the front, that is if they are actually made...

It's not difficult to change the rear (drop 2 or 3 teeth for a similar result to adding 1 on the front), and as the price of Ducati specific front sprockets are similar to the rear, it's the same cost involved - and you may find that more teeth means the chain is too short, whereas taking teeth off the rear means you can always shorten the chain if you run out of adjustment...

xxx

Zimbo
11-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I know it's not possible to fit anything bigger than a 15 to my 900 because the teeth would contact the forward edge of the swinging arm, I suspect it'll be the same for the 600 as well.
Can't really see why you'd want to put a larger sprocket on the front anyway, they're marginally overgeared as it is and most people change them for a 14 if they change them at all. With a 16 it would feel pretty flat in my opinion, there isn't the power at high rpm to gain any increase in top speed, and I can't see any other possible advantage to it. If you really must gear it up further, drop a tooth or two off the rear sprocket instead?

Rockhopper
12-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Like others have said, i doubt a stock M600 would have the power to pull a bigger top gear, ours struggles with the standard gearing!

Pugi
12-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Maybe get a bigger bike?

creepy
12-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Maybe get a bigger bike?
the thought had crossed my mind!did the rounds visiting the dealers with a view too trading it in,most simply didnt want it,one offered me two hundred pounds for it!i've decided to keep it and fix its little niggles,one of which is the under-geared feeling it has.these bikes do have a five speed 'box don't they?.....

CK & AK
12-10-2005, 06:09 PM
our 583 (now 620, soon to be back to 583) has run either 14 or 15 at the front when racing.
The rear is anything from 43 to 49, dependant on track type & rider.

The 620 racebike runs the same front sprocket sizing, tho the rear can go larger if needed, as is a 6 speed/slipper version.

14 is the usual one we stick to tho.

gary tompkins
12-10-2005, 08:30 PM
16 tooth fronts are not available off the shelf, but you can get them made to order. Not a lot of point - as Zimbo said you would have difficulty fitting a 16 tooth as the back edge runs really close to the front end of the swingarm. I think theres only abot 2-3mm at most to spare, so the bigger cog could end up chewing chunks out of the arm. Easy option as JMo said is to drop a few teeth on the rear cog, but it may struggle to pull higher gearing, especially on long hills or into a headwind.

creepy
13-10-2005, 06:21 PM
thanks for replies i'll change the rear sprocket then!! all this talk of sprockets takes me back too messing about with gearing on our (mine and mates)first bikes(fsie gt50 ts50 etc,)trying too get a bit more speed.nowadays i just want to be able to bumble along at 60mph without too many revs!
creepy

Pugi
13-10-2005, 06:43 PM
nowadays i just want to be able to bumble along at 60mph without too many revs!
creepy

But if you want to go about in low rev style you should subtract one or two teeth of rear sprocket... :confused:
Would make it very slow of the mark though.

A Yerbury
13-10-2005, 06:50 PM
thanks for replies i'll change the rear sprocket then!! all this talk of sprockets takes me back too messing about with gearing on our (mine and mates)first bikes(fsie gt50 ts50 etc,)trying too get a bit more speed.nowadays i just want to be able to bumble along at 60mph without too many revs!
creepy

you should be able to bumble along at 60 without too many revs? maybe something is broken to bits?

creepy
13-10-2005, 07:18 PM
you should be able to bumble along at 60 without too many revs? maybe something is broken to bits?
could be...maybe i'm expecting too much of it! my other bike is bmw r100,that does plod about nicely,i,ve had my monster two years and i still keep trying to change up when i'm in top gear,maybe i should get earplugs and just thrash the thing!
creepy