PDA

View Full Version : What happens to a RC30 when it hits a car at 155

NattyBoy
11-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Just got this from the old man..gulp..

A picture is worth a thousand words.
>
> The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his
> reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident.
> Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike
> hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed,
> they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came
> into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes.
> The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car
> with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of
> impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.
>
> All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This
> graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm
> Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The
> sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently
> obtained his license.
>
> At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per
> second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds
> the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a
> decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police
> indicate that no actions were taken.

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=25199&pid=242634

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=25199&pid=242635

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=25199&pid=242636

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=25199&pid=242637

Didge
11-10-2005, 05:27 PM
JEEZUZ WEPT.
Things like that make me feel sick. Going MUCH too fast, and he's taken out two other poor sods.

A Yerbury
11-10-2005, 05:56 PM
two wrongs don't make a right but for balance had the vw driver actually looked before pulling out.....

sjr999r
11-10-2005, 06:10 PM
errrmmmm,i find that quite upsetting,to be honest

Moley
11-10-2005, 06:10 PM
20, 30, 50, 60, 155, 175, wrong time, wrong place but point taken.

Pugi
11-10-2005, 06:36 PM
two wrongs don't make a right but for balance had the vw driver actually looked before pulling out.....

Interesting point that most of us usually share, but one needs to ask when a car driver is expected to notice you. Can it still be the pulling out car drivers fault if the bike is not visible due to a bend or crest and comes flying those x number of feet during the time the car pulled out? Even without obtructed vision a rider should be aware of how small he is from a great distance which only takes him a few seconds to travel at this great speed. Even if it clearly doesn't help to blame anyone - when is it the car drivers fault and when is a bike rider responsible for being brought to a hasty stop?

A Yerbury
11-10-2005, 07:22 PM
well, obviously...as I said it was just for balance, without any details apportioning blame is speculative (and a bit morbid!) I assume car drivers are blind and stupid, I expect them to try to kill me, perhaps thats why I am still here and a good reason why I dont own a machine capable of such speeds...besides resprays are expensive.

spacemonkey
11-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Ouch...

Now, I know i'm a little cynical, and I'm not doubting the truth behind this, but....

...where's all the blood? And possibly oil?

Duncan
11-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Ouch...

Now, I know i'm a little cynical, and I'm not doubting the truth behind this, but....

...where's all the blood? And possibly oil?

Its a spoof

Honda would have disintegrated, the plastic tail piece is still intact and rider would have most likely gone over car on impact not ended inside. I had that happen to me at 40mph and cleared a car this guy would have flown a long long way at 150.

Richard_S
11-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I will never understand why people post these sorts of things, or police dig them out for slideshows. I would like to think that we are all bright enough to know that if you hit anything at speed (especially on a bike) then you are going to be a mess – literally.

It is not about the draconian “speed kills” moral either - life is complicated enough and as we all know some people do know what they are doing at speed and where to do it. Others (like this chap) don’t.
You could argue that its natural selection but that would be crass, suffice to say that if it goes t its up at either 70 or 150 chances are that you will end up on some site for people to gaup and finger wiggle at.

As a footnote I have just done a couple of laps of Hyde Park whilst engaging in a reverse belly dance. Pay your money take your choice etc

Ciao

ps I can't say I gave it enough thought to sit either side of the "real/fake" fence. higher things etc

Spud
11-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Damage does look a little short of the story, seems to be less damage than on my sister-in-laws restricted 620 that was flung in city traffic at 30 ish (estimate still added up to £4200!) I only need my imagination to wonder what bike vs car at that kind of impact speed would result in - never, repeat never want to see it for real

Everyone knows that speed is all about "appropriate" - i do 15-20 mph outside schools and lots more on an dry empty fen road at 7.00am on a sunday morning, and I think that too many police forces try too hard to make it into an anti social thing. All police forces need to try much harder on their credibility with all kinds of road users, because while one force says speed kills - look at the sickening picture, another force if jailing the public and letting off its own officers for doing the same speed. They need to remember that no one on the planet truly trusts any politician, because they put spin on everything :mad:

A Yerbury
11-10-2005, 08:45 PM
or police dig them out for slideshows.....................It's a Swedish thing, two bottles of vodka and social services pop round, hopefully Blonde and with some schh you know what. That woman camera left is having a good old gawp.

AY.

ps.did a handstand earlier sans mat, life on the edge etc.

Pugi
11-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Its a spoof

Honda would have disintegrated, the plastic tail piece is still intact and rider would have most likely gone over car on impact not ended inside. I had that happen to me at 40mph and cleared a car this guy would have flown a long long way at 150.

Unfortunatly not.

This has been around in Sweden and become quite infamous. I'm sure the rider wasn't sitting upright, monster-style, when doing 150, and may well have been able to squeezed in.

As for oil and blood, the car was of course cleaned thoroughly before the roof was folded back (A-frame cut) and put on display. It's not meant to be a morbid freak show even if it still comes across as a bit of one.

Pugi
11-10-2005, 08:51 PM
or police dig them out for slideshows.....................It's a Swedish thing, two bottles of vodka and social services pop round, hopefully Blonde and with some schh you know what. That woman camera left is having a good old gawp.

AY.

ps.did a handstand earlier sans mat, life on the edge etc.

You must have been there...that was actually one of the most accurate and fair descriptions of the country I've heard.

A Yerbury
11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
You must have been there...that was actually one of the most accurate and fair descriptions of the country I've heard.

I get about!

DesmoDog
12-10-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm going to get about too - to forests near Orebo next week. I get the distinct feeling quantities of vodka will be`involved. Should I look for some gymnastic blondes?

Pugi
12-10-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm going to get about too - to forests near Orebo next week. I get the distinct feeling quantities of vodka will be`involved. Should I look for some gymnastic blondes?

I'm sure they'll find you. How would they miss a handsome bloke like youself?

And yes, vodka will be involved. Consider yourself warned.

Fodder
14-10-2005, 05:10 AM
I reckon that's an NC30 n all. They didn't do 155mph.??

kaysee
14-10-2005, 09:31 AM
The back tyre on the bike looks fairly new, it has not been doing 155.
I mell a rat ;)

nik_the_brief
14-10-2005, 09:45 AM
The back tyre on the bike looks fairly new, it has not been doing 155.
I mell a rat ;)

Ah - but if, as the post says further up, the rider had newly acquired his licence, it makes logical sense that he may have been riding a bike new to him with brand shiny new tyres fitted.

NC35
14-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Probably not going to be a popular reply.... but here goes.

For my sins I am a member of the IAM and until recently actively participated in helping others gain the art of advanced riding/driving.

I am sure that most of us also drive a car. Even though were are bikers at heart we have all missed at least one two wheeled missile coming up behind us, or been surprised "where the f##k did he come from" etc etc...

Apart from the bloody caged fools in the Volvo's BMW's & 4x4 who think they own the road, please think of the majority of others who have never been on a bike, who do not expect a bike to be coming down a country lane at twice the speed limit.

Who is to blame the driver who just looked the other way at the exact moment the bike appeared or the rider speeding and not being prepared?

We all enjoy the thrill a bike gives the feeling of freedom of speed, we also get an adrenalin rush with because of the risks/danger. Please respect speed limits 20's 30's 40's 50's - Ride within your limits and assume round every blind bend there is danger.

Sermon over, sorry :o

As for the little NC30's-35's - yes they will to 155 flat out. They are not regarded as a pocket rocket for nothing. They may be happier, just like a monster, on back roads at speed between 40 & 120 embarrassing much bigger bikes.

Once again sorry for the sermon, biking is a way of life not an accelerated way to life. (don't worry I will go get my pills and a nice cup of tea :) )

steviej
14-10-2005, 11:02 AM
I mell a rat ;)

Is that a pervy thing, I hasten to ask??? :confused: :D

kaysee
14-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Ah - but if, as the post says further up, the rider had newly acquired his licence, it makes logical sense that he may have been riding a bike new to him with brand shiny new tyres fitted.

Maybe, but even after a couple of miles and speeds up to 155, the tyre will show wear. I still think this is a set up.

kaysee
14-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Is that a pervy thing, I hasten to ask??? :confused: :D

Not as pervy as smelling one :D

NC35
14-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Maybe, but even after a couple of miles and speeds up to 155, the tyre will show wear. I still think this is a set up.

400 don't use tyres or chains like 600 supersports and monsters etc. The only up side of having such low power and no weight. Tyres can look like new for 1500 miles of hard riding, just no chicken strips.

Had a BT010 front and a BT020 rear on my NC35 the front lasted until I sold the bike and the rear was starting to show signs, squaring off mainly at just short of 5000 miles or nearly 2 years. This incuded several track days.

NC35
14-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Forgot to mention a couple of other things.

The speedo on a 400 only goes up to about 200km/h or ~ 120mph. The speedo needle keeps on going round, really weird. Flat out you are going at about 10km/h :D

Without skid marks I would have said it is very difficult to judge the speed. Regardless of this the bike was going at one hell of a speed to take out the sill, one of the stronger points of a car.

Build quality of 400 Honda's is amazing - really amazing. The plastics look wrong on this bike. From the factory they are a very thick thermoplastic, the photos look like grp.... I would have thought these would have "shattered" at this speed.

Still the whole thing makes you sick to the stomach. I just hope everyone here enjoys safe riding.

Fodder
14-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Show me an NC30 that''ll do 155 mph and i'll eat my shoes.
60bhp + 75kg rider does not equate to anywhere near 155mph :rolleyes:

The RC30 maybe but not the NC30.