PDA

View Full Version : Paddock Stand for S2r - which one?

Gilps
11-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Hope someone can give some advice. I want to buy a paddock stand for my S2r to allow me to adjust the chain and possibly remove the rear wheel. There are load of Ducati ones, and other makes too, for sale on ebay. What I don't know is if any of them will fit an S2r.

Are they all the sime size or do I need to buy one specifically for my bike? The dealer says that all Ducati's are different so I need to buy the right one. This can't be right though. I have seen other threads on here about the S4r and the 916 using the same stand.
There's quite a few for sale which specify 748,916,996,998 and FG (whatever that is). Will these fit too? I'm advised by someone to get the one with bearings in to allow the wheel to spin. Help please.

spm23
11-10-2005, 02:49 PM
You can use a stand designed for the old 916 without any problem, such as the FG and DP ones. The univeral stands will also work but you need to make sure you get the correct axle pin, but again, one for the 916 will work. A stand with bearings will allow the wheel to spin freely but not essential, unless you want to lube your chain with the bike in gear. And one with a tapper locking center pin will give added piece of mind when the bike is on the stand.

Do a search on the site for ""stand", there are loads of previous threads with good adivce and opinions.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=13543&highlight=stand+wheel

Spud
11-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Just been throught the same exercise Gilps, one for 916 does indeed fit. Rang up Ducati dealer to ask if they had a suitable one in stock, and by chance they had a 2nd hand DP one, short conversation resulted in purchase for £60, and it was as new. Guy in there was saying they have a had several customers who have changed 916 series bikes for 999 series bikes, and have left there single sided paddock stands with them to sell on. Might be worth a couple of quick phone calls to Ducati dealers in your area on the off chance

NattyBoy
11-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Ive used quite a few and trust me..you need a harris racing one..beautifully made..bearings, good leverage and steady as a rock..DONT get a cheapy one from the NEC as they flex all over the shot !!

Chers
Nat

LesPaul
12-10-2005, 08:51 AM
I'll agree with Nat on this, I have the Harris paddock stand aswell, nice peice of kit and cheaper than a Ducati one from a dealer.

Harris paddock stands (https://www.harris-performance.com/website/frameset2.htm)

Darren

lee1980
12-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Id go for an Abba stand can be used on any bike with adapters and means u can do a lot more on the rear end bar take off the swingarm :eek:

super stable to easy one person operation :) ;)

Gilps
21-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all your advice. I managed to pick up an FG one for a 916 off ebay for £27.50. Bargain, it's like new. Just after I won it a Harris one came up. Still, I'm happy with this one. Thanks again.
Paul

Gilps
29-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Went to the bike show yesterday and bought an Abba stand for my wife's Hornet. While I was at it I got the bits to adapt it for my bike too - only a fiver for the extra bits. The people who recomeded the Abba are dead right. It is an excellent bit of kit. Real easy to use and it feels so solid with the bike raised. I paid £85 for the Abba stand. I like the idea that I can use it on any future bike. The most it will cost is 5 quid to change adapters.

I saw the Harris stand at the show too. Blimey. That's not a stand - it's artwork. I wouldn't dare use it in case I got it dirty. That's a serious bit of kit - I guess you get what you pay for.
Thanks again for the advice.

Pugi
29-10-2005, 11:20 AM
The most it will cost is 5 quid to change adapters.

Where from? Their homepage says £12-13.

eonan
29-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Ive used quite a few and trust me..you need a harris racing one..beautifully made..bearings, good leverage and steady as a rock..DONT get a cheapy one from the NEC as they flex all over the shot !!

Would the Harris Rear Paddock fit a '98 M750? I'm needing to buy a stand this week and really like the look of them.

Gilps
29-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Where from? Their homepage says £12-13.
I paid £5 at the NEC. I didn't haggle or nuffink so I guess that was the regular price. Maybe it was a special price coz of the show, or just my winning smile. Mind you, I had my wife with me and she's a bit of a looker.
How much is the regular stand on their web site? I paid £85, is that normal price?
They also offered me a contraption to lift the front end up whilst on the stand for £39. I didn't buy that as I can knock up something myself for less.

Gilps
29-10-2005, 06:12 PM
I just got off my lazy bum, well I moved my lazy mouse hand anyway, and looked at the Abba web site. My, I did get a bargain didn't I. I saved £5 on the stand, and the fitting kit for the single sider is £17.95. Those prices include "free" shipping so I suppose that must be where some of the saving comes from. Still saved £18 overall. Not bad. That saving almost covers the cost of the tickets :rolleyes:
Then I spent over £500 on 2 Furygan jackets, and saved £35 there too. The savings were looking good until we had lunch. £10 for 2 crappy burgers and chips. No salad in the burgers, no relish, nowt. Ripoff. Will I go again. I think so.
I used the Abba stand this afternoon to clean the Hornet and used the FG rear stand on my Ducati. I found them both as easy to use, but the Abba lifts futher forward and I found it easier to rotate the front wheel whilst cleaning. The rear stand keeps all the weight on the front wheel. Both good though.

Pugi
30-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I paid £5 at the NEC. I didn't haggle or nuffink so I guess that was the regular price. Maybe it was a special price coz of the show, or just my winning smile. Mind you, I had my wife with me and she's a bit of a looker.
How much is the regular stand on their web site? I paid £85, is that normal price?
They also offered me a contraption to lift the front end up whilst on the stand for £39. I didn't buy that as I can knock up something myself for less.

Their homepage is pretty good and gives you all 'normal' prices.
Maybe you'll lend me your wife the next time I need to go shopping? She sounds like a potential moneysaver...women I meet only cost money, lots of it... :mad:
http://www.abbastands.co.uk/

Pedro
30-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Would the Harris Rear Paddock fit a '98 M750? I'm needing to buy a stand this week and really like the look of them.

I've got a Harris stand for my 900 - my bike has bobbins on the swingarm so I went for the fork adapters. If you've got no bobbins, go for the cup type adapters

Best stand I've every used

Ped

eonan
31-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Just ordered one from Demon Tweeks...£54.99 :D