PDA

View Full Version : Brake pistons

MikeG
11-10-2005, 09:37 AM
M600 2000 In the process of changing the brake pads. The rear pistons will not go in as far as required to fit the new pads. What is the easiest way to get the pistons back in to allow me to finish this ten minute job!
They work well enough with old pads, but these are getting a little thin (ahem).

I thank you....

slob
11-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I use a couple of tyre levers, back to back, to CAREFULLY and GENTLY ease the pistons back.
You could probably use an chunky old screwdriver, between the old pads(to protect the piston edges).
Clean and inspect the outside of the pistons first to make sure you don't damage the seals.

MikeG
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks, just got it sorted. Bought some brake cleaner and nicked an old toothbrush. Cleaned it all up, opened the bleed valve and hey presto pads in and working. Will have to bleed them properly tonight at home.
One of the old pads completely fell apart when I removed it. Just in time I think! :lol:

The Kevlar Kid
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I tend to use a small hand held vice or a large set of swan-necks (with a couple of slivers of wood to prevent damage). I don't think piston presses are too expensive though....

You have taken the top off of the fluid resevoir haven't you?

Zimbo
11-10-2005, 04:55 PM
I use a small G clamp. Works for me!!!