PDA

View Full Version : Parking Bikes at work?

MikeG
06-10-2005, 12:54 PM
I seem to recall there was a government initiative to encourage firms to provide parking facilities for motorbikes, or was this just a dream?
If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be happy!

The reason I am asking is that my boss has decided that motorbikes should not use the company car park and I must park elsewhere, gosh how silly I thought, but he means it. So I have been instructed not to park in a car parking area, as the car park is for cars.

I am (almost) speechless.
Comments welcome!!!

Mand
06-10-2005, 12:56 PM
I seem to recall there was a government initiative to encourage firms to provide parking facilities for motorbikes, or was this just a dream?
If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be happy!

The reason I am asking is that my boss has decided that motorbikes should not use the company car park and I must park elsewhere, gosh how silly I thought, but he means it. So I have been instructed not to park in a car parking area, as the car park is for cars.

I am (almost) speechless.
Comments welcome!!!

Well I think your boss is tosser (I can say that because it is my birthday today and I am invincible). You pay your road tax (?) so surely you have the same rights.

I ride my bike to work and I have an understanding landlord who lets me park my bike underneath the fire escape.

nik_the_brief
06-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Comments welcome!!!

He's a bit of a w*nker isn't he!! :D

Nonnie
06-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Yes Mands right. Your boss is a tosser. It's my birthday too so obviously, I am also invincible.

Park it in the foyer at work!

Mand
06-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Yes Mands right. Your boss is a tosser. It's my birthday too so obviously, I am also invincible.

Park it in the foyer at work!

or in between his ass cheeks! Told you I was invincible!

The Kevlar Kid
06-10-2005, 01:30 PM
How about parking it next to your desk - I would if I could, but it doesn't fit in the lift :D

Seriously though, we're so short of parking space here at work we can't take up parking spaces with bikes either, so they're parked next to the windows under the veranda (on the pavement).

I'm sure it pleases all the staff that work on the ground floor when I leave early and am warming the bike up (with 105dB race cans) for 10mins before I go - especially in the summer with the windows open. :lol:

slob
06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Just ignore the twat. Then sue him for unfair dismissal. Better still, find a way to discredit him and be well rid. Maybe my attitude is why I'm having trouble finding a new job!
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/page/dft_roads_035439.pdf
Page 16, sadly it's directed at local authorities not private employers(do you work for the council?)

MotoNik
07-10-2005, 12:32 PM
This sort of thing annoys the crap out of me. It happened to me at a previous place of employment - the MD didn't like bikes in the car park because he felt they didn't fit with the corporate image (uh?!), and he wanted those of us with bikes to give up our spaces and park in a bike shed round the back of the building.

The end result (after much time wasted) was that all of us motorcyclists basically got together and had a meeting with the MD and put our point across - yes we all ride bikes, but most of us drive cars too. We are all human beings, and as such are just as entitled to a space as the next person. Saying one person cannot have a space because of reason specific to them is discrimination, pure and simple. There's no rational or reasonable argument.

It's bloody ridiculous - if I decide to drive a car or ride a bike that's my business. If I work at a premises where I am entitled to a parking space then it is up to me what I park in it, be it a bicycle or a helicopter, as long as it doesn't interfere with anyone else, or pose a safety risk to anyone else. Anything else is just a load of bollards.

Good luck, and don't let the tw@t win. Keep us posted. If all else fails just unscrew the MDs tyre valves. Technically it's not criminal damage if you screw them back in again after you've let the air out.... :D

Nik

Mrs Soup
07-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Where do people get these ideas from ?

I cannot believe the people really do this; I presume that someone has complained that your vehicle is taking up a whole space that could be used by a car.

If there are several of you why not get a number of adjacent spaces allocated to bikes. You could even try for fixings to lock the bikes to !

MikeG
07-10-2005, 01:23 PM
I should point out that the space I park in is rather small. You can get a small car in if you are there before the 9-5s, but unless you have a Smart car or something similar it is a real struggle to get a car in. My colleague has a mini and he says its not worth the struggle for him to park in the spot.

I think it is simply bl00dy mindedness on behalf of the boss. Dirty bikes on my car park harrumph!

Mand
07-10-2005, 01:38 PM
The man is an arse.

My boss who can also be an arse (sorry Nick!) is actually quite proud that his personal slave has a shiny "clean" Italian bike.

You have my greatest sympathy.

NBs
07-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Just tell him to **** off or you'll put in a grievance for discrimination.

I had a similar story a few years ago... and since I'm an arsehole (and invincible cos it was my birthday on tuesday) I kicked up such a fuss that they had 3 spaces sectioned off for bikes. Now we have a big secure shelter in front of reception with swipecard entry. I'm surprised I've still got a job!

Pugi
07-10-2005, 03:12 PM
I cannot believe the people really do this; I presume that someone has complained that your vehicle is taking up a whole space that could be used by a car.

I can never quite agree with that opinion. It simply looses its validity when you see how many people drive alone anyway. Who's the considerate one then, huh?

If space is an issue have designated parking spots for bikes.

Tell him to stuff it btw.

A Yerbury
07-10-2005, 04:21 PM
so I take it it's a company car park? if it is full and company car owners have to park elsewhere then I would happily park my own bike somewhere else within the premises that takes up less space, provided it was safe and easy to access. Or park all the bikes in one car bay?

dlloyduk
07-10-2005, 11:34 PM
I can't stand T*****s like that. They need to be dealt with why not beg borrow or steal something like this for your new transport for a few days?

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/BMP1/BMP1_for_sale_web1.jpg

Tell him you have learned the errors of your ways and decided it would be best for the company if you changed your mode of transport!

spacemonkey
08-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Great idea! A Daimler Ferret scout car can be had for a grand or two, and usually comes with deac .50 cal Browning mounted up top. Ok, so they only do 4mpg on a run, but who cares? You'll never get clamped or towed...

MrsJel
10-10-2005, 12:17 PM
My sis-in-law works for a council who won't let them park their bikes in the car park - it takes up too much space and it isn't the image they wish to project. Unfortunately, the only chap who had the balls to ride his bike to work and park it in their precious car park had a fatal accident whilst riding his bike.

We have cycle shelters, some of them don't have those racks in so they double nicely as m/c parks.

Your boss sounds unreasonable (can't say anything stronger at the moment, its not my birthday for a couple of months, therefore am not currently invincible).

MilesB
12-10-2005, 11:47 AM
You have a parking space :eek: :eek:

Wow

I used to walk to work, but having just moved house, and not got a parking space, I have a few options:
1) Get the bus - only when it is raining
2) Cycle to work the short way (about 4 miles), to a lockable cycle shed under the office :rolleyes: ... but I've got to buy a bike first :o
3) Use the Monster and go the long way (to get the engine properly warmed up and lubricating properly) :bunny: :burnout: This can get parked under the building too.
4) Beg use of car, then either pay extortionate amounts to park it :mad: , park miles away and then walk the rest of the way, or use the Park and Ride.
5) Blag a lift.

Of course, if I use the Monster to get to work, company Health & Safety policy wont allow me to use it for work, as Motorcycles are Dangerous :twisted: .

Miles

DesmoDog
12-10-2005, 11:57 AM
I can't stand T*****s like that. They need to be dealt with why not beg borrow or steal something like this for your new transport for a few days?

http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/BMP1/BMP1_for_sale_web1.jpg

Tell him you have learned the errors of your ways and decided it would be best for the company if you changed your mode of transport!

I can do you a deal on one of those! Otherwise, follow the unfair discrimination route or ask them to subsidise your travel as the bikes your only form of transport.

Chappers
12-10-2005, 04:04 PM
The General Manager of my site had several complaints from car drivers saying that motorcycles shouldn't park in car parking spaces as they were swinging in to park and then realising last minute that a bike was parked there.

Because he moaned at me and some other biker workers here, I wrote in to our MD complaining that we had nowhere else to park, I was also annoyed that I couldn't safely secure my bike to anything and that a few hefty blokes could simply lift my bike into the back of a van and drive off with it :mad:

2 weeks later I had this letter and 4 days after receiving the letter a designated area at the entrance to the building was allocated accommodating the secure parking of upto 8 motorbikes :D

The Kevlar Kid
12-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Nice photo at the bottom of the note :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nonnie
12-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Hi Chappers, looks like Jamaica was good then! Just wanted to tell you I laughed out loud at the letter. Oh My God, what company headed notepaper! Oh My God!

Still, you got what you wanted though.

Wonder how MikeG is doing with his boss.

He should make up his own headed notepaper like yours but with "Tell Tossie" on it.

A Yerbury
12-10-2005, 07:03 PM
make it better? loose the denim shirt and worrying chirpy smile would be a start...are those hi-lites?

MikeG
13-10-2005, 09:33 AM

He should make up his own headed notepaper like yours but with "Tell Tossie" on it.

Its all gone quiet, I came to work in the car for a few days and took his parking place! Childish maybe, but he doesn't complain about my bike being parked in the "tiny" space anymore. However someone complained that I dripped onto the signing in book the other day!!!!! Yes it was raining.

The company are looking into parking arrangements as part of a Risk Assessment project. As I will be involved then I guess I can make some serious recommendations.

Cheers all.
ps I do like the idea of a tank dlloyduk :D

Chappers
13-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi Chappers, looks like Jamaica was good then! Just wanted to tell you I laughed out loud at the letter. Oh My God, what company headed notepaper! Oh My God!

Still, you got what you wanted though.

Had a wicked time thanks but couldn't wait to get back and spend some time with my Monnie :bunny:

Tell me about it, I sent in a right stroppy letter to him and then he sends me back a letter on his 'Tell Lotsie' crappy headed paper with his ugly mug on the bottom of it :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, I got my bike parking area so can't really moan about this place.

Note: 'Tell Lotsie' is our suggestion box thingy we have at all our Moto Services, so that way customers and staff can give their feedback to us whether it's good or bad - tacky as feck or what though :lol:

nik_the_brief
13-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Had a wicked time thanks but couldn't wait to get back and spend some time with my Monnie :bunny:

Tell me about it, I sent in a right stroppy letter to him and then he sends me back a letter on his 'Tell Lotsie' crappy headed paper with his ugly mug on the bottom of it :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, I got my bike parking area so can't really moan about this place.

Note: 'Tell Lotsie' is our suggestion box thingy we have at all our Moto Services, so that way customers and staff can give their feedback to us whether it's good or bad - tacky as feck or what though :lol:

Nice avatar - did you have the right knocker tarted up by Abarth by any chance?

http://www.italianthings.co.uk/images/abarth-b.jpg