PDA

View Full Version : S4r fuelling

lee1980
06-10-2005, 10:00 AM
I have an S4r with an akrapovic slip on with baffles removed, and have had fi tweaked by dealer to suite first time round it ran real bad lots of flat spots. The mixture was then richened runs much better but im getting the fuel light come on at 60miles and getting in about 11 litres which mean the fuel light is working ok to.

Is this cause they can only adjust it so far? or are they just not good at it? i was planning on replacing the udder for spareshack pipes but he said this will make it even richer

He said it was something to do with there not being enough back pressure? when they are straight through cans etc?

JMo
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Sounds a bit like they don't know what they are doing to me... x

You ought to be able to get that set up properly - have you tried Luigi Moto in your neck of the woods? - btw Nattyboy (who has an S4R with a full Termi system) has no problems... mind you, I think he has the modded ECU too...

You ought to be able to get a perfectly good set up from the stock ECU if all you've done is change the cans - while people seem to rate the Powercommander if you are playing around any further...

xxx

lee1980
06-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks Jmo

I know the tank is small but 60miles till light comes on :eek:

Its my local offcial dealer so not sure about taking elsehwhereas its only 6 months old. I was wondering if the Ecu perhaps cant adjust far enough?

Should it be richened or leaned out when straight through slip on is added?

Scotty
06-10-2005, 11:12 AM
if it can adjust down to a 60 mile tank range im sure thers enough adjusttment in it

james9327
06-10-2005, 06:03 PM
My S4r runs on arrow cans and straight through pipes,runs very smooth
and will do 90-100 miles before light come on and i ride fairly hard.

how did it run before you fitted pipes,why not return it to standard and see what mpg you get from it then,then refit bits and see what causes the mpg
to drop.

JMo
06-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Its my local offcial dealer so not sure about taking elsehwhereas its only 6 months old. I was wondering if the Ecu perhaps cant adjust far enough?

I wouldn't be too precious about using your official dealer - if they were Ducati Performance accessories supplied by the dealer (with all the combined warrenty implications that may or may not have) then perhaps using them would be required - but what you need is a set up for some aftermarket cans, and it seems they aren't able to do that?

You have a few options - of course you could ask them to get someone in who knows how to do it (Andy Joyce - the ASM for DUK did a cracking job on my bike once, but a 2 hour+ full set up is likely to cost you, as I doubt they'll do it foc)...

Alternatively, go to another (franchised) dealer who knows what they are doing with EFi (Moto Rapido in Winchester are not a million miles away from you, and they are very good - just balanced mine as part of 24,000 service).

Or go to an independent tuning shop such as Luigi Moto in Bristol (01761 453366) and get them to sort it out...

Either way, as I say, the standard EFi ought to have enough adjustment to compensate for the cans - only if you open up the airbox/fit a free flow air filter does the fuel/air mixture significantly change...

As you say 60 miles from a tankful is way out - you may as well bypass the tank all together and just pour the fuel from the pump all over the road x

Good luck...

xxx

Shauns4
06-10-2005, 07:51 PM
The ECU's fitted to later Ducatis cannot be properly adjusted to compensate throughout the rev range, only the idle mixture can be adjusted via the CO timmer for which you need the software.

I'm not an expert on the s4r (or anything!) but I would imagine best way is to get rid of the CAT and fit a Power commander.

lee1980
06-10-2005, 08:45 PM
I put the can on myself as I got it cheapish, compared to termis was well cheap :D :D

Before this used to run fine then had it tweaked at 600 miles service just after i got the can. then ran real weird with flat spots and throttle slipping turned out to running a bit lean and the TPS out adjustement.

So booked it in again now been richened, to the effect of 60 miles a tank :lol: :lol:

Maybe cause it new only got near 1400 on clock dont help to?
I dont want any more power or noise just a little better mpg, but if the stock ecu cant do it be cheaper to buy fuel than power commander

Rockhopper
06-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Your can was cheap comapred to Termis because Termis come with a new ECU!!

Bunny
07-10-2005, 02:42 AM
If you've only changed the end can, the fuel mixture should not have needed adjusting. I've got a 2-2 full system on mine, (cat had to go) and it still isn't running weak on the stock ECU.
Unless your Ducati dealer has a dyno, I'm not sure how they set up the mixture using a non-Ducati exhaust, they probably just set it up really rich "to be on the safe side"
Take your bike to Lougi (as Jen said :lol:) and he'll give you a clue as to what's going on, or get the mixture put back to standard, and see what mpg you get - and then do a dyno run if you're worried about being too lean

lee1980
07-10-2005, 07:54 AM
I believe u can get termis with out the ecu to? which was my original plan or arrows. My dealer doesn't have a dyno so cant test so well i guess, so may be over richening it :eek: :eek:

I only had it done at the 600 mile service cuase they normally do something to fuelling at the first service maybe best to leave well alone :cool:

Im pretty sure it went ok the few days i had it on before the service but i wasnt really opening it up as i was still breaking it in :confused: :confused:

Shauns4
07-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Most Ducatis run on the rich side which means you can usually run them with open cans and no mods to the ECU, the M1000 and S4 both run fine even with an open air box on top of this.

So I would agree put the CO trimmer back to its standard setting and see what happens. Has the dealer had a CO meter on the exhaust ? Should be > 3 < 6%.

If the bike is using so much petrol I would assume it running very rough and feels lumpy?

Shaun

lee1980
07-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Im not sure i should touch it :lol: it is an official delaer so presume they have all the stuff apart from rolling road :eek:

Im sure last time the little plug in the down pipe had been removed some sort of sealent around it :D :D

It doesnt feel lumpy once warm only when cold, but doesnt feel a great deal more powerful then my 748s, as It wont power wheelie even up to 8k in first??

I expected the front to come up easy in first on the power?

If its running rich wont be so powerful i guess?

Shauns4
07-10-2005, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=lee1980]Im not sure i should touch it :lol: it is an official delaer so presume they have all the stuff apart from rolling road :eek:

Im sure last time the little plug in the down pipe had been removed some sort of sealent around it :D :D

There is no point putting the bike on a rolling road as the stock ECU cannot be remapped, you need a powercommander to make this worthwhile.

yes the little plug is the CO measuring point and where the mixture is checked.

sounds like you should go back to the dealer.

Shaun

NC35
07-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Might be a stupid comment, but I have the S4R with Termi cans and ecu and open airbox. All standard out of the termi box.

Sometimes I only get 65 miles before the light other times 100ish miles. This is on the same day same riding style. The bike isn't run in yet (hopefully finish this this weekend).

I have noticed:

1) Filling can be anywhere between 7l and 13l
2) Its always the second fill up which is the shortest.
3) Prefers (get more MPG) with Sainsbury's fuel than Shell :confused: a lot more 100 to the tank...

Not overly concerned at the mo as not run in but what a shocker 100 mile tank range....

lee1980
07-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Interesting i have been getting 60 miles doing mainly round town work lots of stop starting, maybe longer trips will help but thats the same with most bikes.

How many miles do u have on yours NC35?

Prob a combo of the tiny tank and big engine :lol: :lol:

Bunny
07-10-2005, 08:08 PM
I always get 100+ to a tank, and I'm not that slow (so the pocket rocket riders tell me !!)
Your bike should definitely power wheelie in the first 3 gears without too much effort at all, and mine's not lumpy at all, even when cold. I never give it any stick when cold, but only a zx12 and a new R1 have ever out accelerated it when warm - and both were ridden by "quick" lads.

lee1980
07-10-2005, 09:56 PM
60 miles is pants then lol, it feels like its almost got enough power but not quite enough unless i slip clutch or hit a bump, i was just expecting it to come up after all the reviews i read on it :mad:

After my 748s it just seem to surge forward faster but even up to 8k still wont come up on the power

Have u changed your gearing? which 2 into 2 do you have?

Bunny
09-10-2005, 08:54 AM
No,
I have not changed the gearing (yet - front sprocket is in the shed waiting)
Exhaust is Spark (from Spareshack)
You should definitely not have to slip the clutch, in fact if you grab a little too much throttle it wheelies every time in 1st and 2nd - on my mate's private driveway of course - and evidently off the Isle of Wight ferry by accident :)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/bunny_955i/DSC04125.jpg

lee1980
09-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks Bunny nice pic, love that full system looks very nice :D :D

The way u describe it is how i thought mine would be, power wheelies just require a pull on the throttle, clearly mine isnt right when i can go to nearly 8k with out it rising :eek: :eek:

Talked to dealer yesterday and im going to get it put back to stock settings he said they do it by Co2 percentage be 4% or something he didnt seem to worried and said it wont do any damage may just get flatspots like i had before. So i will try that and see how it goes :D :D

I want power wheelies :lol: :lol:

lee1980
14-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Well i'll bo foooked:lol::lol: got 50 miles till the light came on today:o:o

Its getting worse! its booked on next Sat to have it put back to standard settings, cant come soon enough may as well pour half down the drain when filling up:lol::lol:

As I still have the cat on there, im sure i read somewhere that to much fuel can damage the cat in some way? any one know?

NC35
14-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Interesting i have been getting 60 miles doing mainly round town work lots of stop starting, maybe longer trips will help but thats the same with most bikes.

How many miles do u have on yours NC35?

Prob a combo of the tiny tank and big engine :lol: :lol:

Hi Lee

Just run in 1500 miles :D

2 up the Monster keeps up with everything - ZX12R tried to show off at the weekend, he nearly fell off when he saw we were 2 up and Carol gave him the royal wave as we passed :lol:

Must admit at one point I thought we were shifting, but he was on one wheel. I dropped back a bit didn't want for him to fall off and us run over him.

Still swear by Sainsbury's petrol (local filling station too). I still use the monster as it was designed for FUN, but also done some commuting, definitely not designed for.

Still getting ~ 100 before the warning light.

On another slightly off topic I did once have a Mazda RX-7 with the rotary engine. I replaced the stock engine with a race tuned one from the US of A. Told to run the engine on the lowest octane fuel and add a light oil to lower the octane further and lube the tips. Suppose this is something like a 2 stroke. But the ****tier the petrol (back then ASDA) the better the fuel consumption, bit of a balancing act with the oil.

I also agree the front end wants to go skywards under hard acceleration in all the low gears. Bit scary 2 up so I usually end up with my chin nearly on the tank to keep it down. ;)

Not a slow rider, but I have my own conclusions. There is a point depending upon how open the throttle is when the open air-box makes the most beautiful of noises. This is when I think most of the fuel is used. If I ride smoother and more considerately for Carol I obviously get a lot more MPG.

But - who can resist the noise

lee1980
14-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks NC

Im on about 1400 miles now so pretty well run in :)
sounds like mine is not as it shuold be at all, the front certainly doesn't come up as for beating Zx12r's no chance :lol: :lol:

Have to try some real crap petrol :lol: mine is mainly round town so would expect about 80 till light comes on. I do tend to be opening and closing the throttle as u say sounds great even though i only have slip on and closed box to :)

Got to wait till next week to have it set back to standard :(

lee1980
25-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Yay been put back to near standard as possible with 4% co2 i think feels alot better like its burning fuel cleanly sounds good on the overun to, pop, pop pop pop :D

Not sure how much power not opened it up yet due to crappy weather :mad:

Think a 14t will be needed next :D

Glad its sorted i think, was starting to get fed up with it :eek: