PDA

View Full Version : Question: Renthal bars

slob
05-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Has anyone fitted a pair of 'generic ultra-low' road bars to their monster?
Do you have a photo?
According to the application chart(renthal.JPG) the 'rise' is less than the 'height', is that really the case or are the two measurements back-to-front?
Other than that it would seem they should be a good fit for a '02 monster, without any cable/hose modifications.

Pedro
05-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi Slob

I thought about these but I pretty sure the clamp section is wider than the forks on a Monny so you'd have to have the fork legs flush with the yoke or fit risers. I want a lower bar height and thought these would be a good fit but dropping the forks & fitting risers seem to defeat the object

Ped

JMo
05-10-2005, 08:59 PM
SazzaJ has them on her Monny, and they fitted fine, although the cables are a bit of a stretch - you certainly have to reroute the fast idle cable, and the others could do with being an inch or two longer too, or you can cut the ends of the bars down of course...

As for height and rise - the rise is the distance between the centerline of the clamp section and the centre line of the control section (eg. 50mm), whereas the height is the overall height of the bar from the top edge to the bottom - which takes into account the sweep of the bar too... (that is how much the bend up at the end when they are fitted).

xxx

slob
05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I'll get a set and try 'em.
(No adjusters on 620 fork tops Ped.)

Paranoid Dave
05-10-2005, 09:27 PM
going for the more sat up style to ease the pain old man? Hope its not causing too much discomfort.

slob
05-10-2005, 10:04 PM
going for the more sat up style to ease the pain old man? Hope its not causing too much discomfort.
Cheeky boy! going for a better than stock replacement, next day delivery mail order, in the absence of any London dealers this week.

Pedro
06-10-2005, 06:30 AM
(No adjusters on 620 fork tops Ped.)

None on my 900 either but I have the forks about 25mm up through the yokes which causes the clash.

Like to see how you get on though

Ped

slob
06-10-2005, 06:33 AM
I have the forks about 25mm up through the yokes
Me too, I'd better have another measure before I order. I'll keep you posted.

spacemonkey
06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Fitted my 93 900 with no probs at all. I merely wanted a pale gold bar to match the forks, and these are pretty similar. Would say that the early type matte finish Ducati alloy bars are better-they are certainly thicker and stronger. My Renthals flex somewhat, which the Ducs will never do! Only later did I discover that the standard Duc bar is available in gold. Grr... Riding position about the same.

NBs
06-10-2005, 02:51 PM
I fitted these to my race bike (m620).
They are lower but when on the bike they bang into the tank so need turning upwards in the yoke to get enough clearance. They are a little bit lower but nothing to get excited about unless you want to lose loads of steering lock - my lock stops are adjusted to max, which is about 15 degrees each side!

In hindsight, I'd've prefered to splash out for some clipons.

slob
06-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys, I've already ordered a set which should be with me in the morning.
I'll let you know how I get on. The thought of less lock on a road bike is a bit unpleasant but the ones in your avatar don't look too bad. I can always sell them on and order some Ducati bars if it all goes horribly wrong.

gary tompkins
06-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Do you fancy Renthal bars for a change of riding position, or because the originals got modified at Donnington? :p

Sorry to hear about the off - I bet the trip across the grass was interesting in an underwear decorating kind of way :eek:

Anyway - you need to get yourself a nice set of clip-ons IMO :D

(check out the avatar)

slob
07-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Do you fancy Renthal bars for a change of riding position, or because the originals got modified at Donnington?
I like the standard riding position just fine, it's just beacause i need to replace the 'modified' ones.
One other question for JMo, NBs and Space' (that would keep me awake at 3AM).
Did you drill the bars or file the pegs off the switchgear/twistgrip or a half-half jobby?

The Kevlar Kid
07-10-2005, 10:22 AM
I like the standard riding position just fine, it's just beacause i need to replace the 'modified' ones.
One other question for JMo, NBs and Space' (that would keep me awake at 3AM).
Did you drill the bars or file the pegs off the switchgear/twistgrip or a half-half jobby?

When I fitted mine, I cut the locating pegs off the switches. Most are plastic, so can be cut off with a sharp blade. I think it's only the throttle locating pin thats metal - just file that (I drilled the centre out first to make it easier). I don't think you're meant to drill Renthals as it may cause a weakness.

JMo
07-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Just what Kevlar said - far simpler to remove the pegs... The throttle assembly clamps fine, you might need to wrap a layer of insulating tape around the bar beneath the switchgear to stop them rotating...

xxx

ps. you'll probably find that the cables are just a touch too short to fit with the grips right at the ends of the bars (they were on Sazza's) - so you'll either need to get new cables, radically reroute them (messy), or chop about 20mm from each end of the bar - and you'll need some nice bar ends too - I recommend the X-lite 'titanium' MTB ones - flush fitting and funky - no motrax sh!te please!

slob
07-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks,
I've been doing some reading on XJR and Hornet forums and the consensus seems to be drill 'em, Renthal are just being cautious over possible litigation(they do sell in the USA afterall). Ally that thick is not going to just snap without giving some gentle bending first, I do understand the concept of sharp edges raising stresses etc.
As for bar ends I have some Renthal ones on back-order from M&P.

JMo
07-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Drill them if you like, but it is far easier to get the controls in a position you want without the pins there - sod's law you'll want to adjust the angles/spacing a bit, and you can't go drilling loads of holes, or that really will weaken them...

xxx

slob
07-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Good point JMo, as soon as I get them home I'm going to engage in some careful measuring and thinking before altering anything.
I'm just waiting at my mate's workshop for a tube of special silicone grease to show up, since my clocks opened up in the spill and I'm going to see if I can waterproof them properly as they go back together. The factory apparently couldn't!

NBs
07-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Just to be different... I drilled mine.
The ally is really thick, and after two crashes the hole didn't show up as a weak point. But as said, one hole = one position.

slob
07-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks Nick, and best of luck this weekend, if I don't make it up there.

djkus
07-10-2005, 05:37 PM
here are pics of my renthals, was in two minds to leave the padding on them, but quite like it now.

Scotty
07-10-2005, 06:10 PM
not sure about the massive foam pad thing
but will surly save your face if you land a tabletop badly ?

A Yerbury
07-10-2005, 06:30 PM
it's all about not quite knowing if one is doing 17 or 20 mph in my book.

claicerrig
07-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Keep the Padding :D

djkus
08-10-2005, 08:32 AM
bought my bike a few months ago off a guy, first thing i thought when i seen it was WHAT is that. lol
but after looking about and seeing other renthal bars with padding on them, i decided to keep it on.
u get used to it.
plus i got some wires hidden under it now for my hot grips. lol