PDA

View Full Version : idle speed adjustment

stef
04-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Is is fidly ? or just a question of turning a screw until the engine sounds about right ?

Never done it, and i have the MOT booked for thursday, so i dont want to mess the bike up before then. But the idle speed is probably around 2000-2500 (a little faster than the 600 used to be), by ear.

Pedro
04-10-2005, 07:45 PM
It's a bit of a pig this, as you need asbestos hands and a long screw driver. The screw is right up between the carbs and you'll probaby have to take the oil cooler off it's mounts to get to it.

Ped

Rockhopper
04-10-2005, 07:47 PM
And be careful, the obvious screw that you can see is actually the balance screw, the idle speed screw is much deeper into the engine!

Zimbo
04-10-2005, 07:49 PM
The idle speed adjustment is fairly simple to do, an idle speed adjustment screw is located between the carbs accessed from underneath, but be warned it's a bugger to get to, you need a long flat blade screwdriver and the oil cooler is in the way. You may find it easier to actually detatch the oil cooler until the adjustment is done.
Also, there are two adjustment screws, one for idle speed and one for carb balance, the idle speed one is the more obvious of the two, but it's worth mentioning so you don't adjust the wrone one!

stef
04-10-2005, 09:09 PM
thanks.. i'll buy a long screw driver tomorow.. ermm what length ?

Pedro
04-10-2005, 10:07 PM
thanks.. i'll buy a long screw driver tomorow.. ermm what length ?

About 4 feet 6 inches should do it! :lol:

it needs to be about 20-25cm I think

Ped

Duncan
05-10-2005, 06:50 AM
About 4 feet 6 inches should do it! :lol:

it needs to be about 20-25cm I think

Ped

And a flashlight strapped to the end helps, as does a mirror to see whats happening.

Are we still talking bikes here?