PDA

View Full Version : noisy clutch, again..

stef
04-10-2005, 05:56 PM
my clutch sounds awwwwfull..
I have the normal tagadagadagadagadaga dry clutch at idle, clutch depressed (I recommend Prozac). That disappears when i press the clutch in.
but it is replaced with a bad grinding noise when i press the clutch lever. At first, i though the bolts/springs were grinding on the cf case, but it is not the case.
Is there a magic remedy ? WD40? The bike has been standing for the good part of 2 years, could something be corroded inside that clutch ?
I can find a halfway point where everything is quiet.

Pedro
04-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Check the push rod bearing in the pressure plate is not dry or siezed and spinning the push rod (it'll wear out the slave cylinder!!).

I'd whip the plates out (keep them in order) and make sure it's not excessively dusty. While you're at it, check the gaps between the basket and the plate tangs - factory spec is 0.6mm but I've seen upto 2mm and the clutch stilled worked ok!!! Bit noisy mind..... Also make sure the clutch drum is not heavily worn / loose / knackered.

Ped

stef
04-10-2005, 09:06 PM
The push rod bearing.. it's accessible on the left hand side, right ?

stef
04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
you are preaching the words of doom here, ped !
I am scared now ! The clutch plates, is it a big job to open them ?

Pedro
04-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Noooo! Taking the clutch out is a five minute job!!

Take the cover off, undo the six bolts with the springs under the collars and the pressure plate will come off. The bearing is in the pressure plate on the right hand side not the left!! When you take the plates out you'l find a mix of plain and friction plates - you should note how they come out and replace them the same way and in the same order. If you get stuck, pm me your number and we'll have a natter.

BTW - the Haynes book is pretty good for clutch stuff. I do have the pukka Duke manual on disk if you want a copy, pm me your addy and I'll post it if you want.

Ped

stef
05-10-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks for this ped,
I think i have the said manual..
(ok, i'll have a look then, and open the beast up)

stef
11-10-2005, 08:34 AM
well,
i finally managed to open the clutch (i had a spring bolt that was stuck solid, and had to dremel a couple of slots to drive it out..)
The plates look on the thin side (glazed and scored..), which could explain the noise. That's a new set then !
The bell looks worn as well.. maybe i should replace that too.

gary tompkins
11-10-2005, 12:46 PM
New clutch baskets and plates are expensive. Think the basket is over £100 and plates £90-£160 a set depending on what grade you go for. Pedro got a "deal" on his and I got a complete low mileage clutch off a 916 on ebay for £100 to fix mine.

As Pedro said the rattle soon returns, but luckily the Sils manage to drown it out. At least the clutch works a lot better on mine now despite the noise.

bod
11-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Take it for a ggod thrash around if it's been stood a while may free up any probleems and better than getting your hands dirty :)

Rockhopper
12-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Get a set of standard ST4S alloy plates, much quieter than the standard steel ones. Cost about £110 from JHP.

They look worn out even when they are brand new though! There isnt much material on them.

Or you could go the whole hog and get an STM48 tooth clutch complete with plates for about £250 i think. Give Neil a bell at www.cornerspeed.co.uk as he sell them.

stef
12-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Get a set of standard ST4S alloy plates, much quieter than the standard steel ones. Cost about £110 from JHP.

They look worn out even when they are brand new though! There isnt much material on them.

Or you could go the whole hog and get an STM48 tooth clutch complete with plates for about £250 i think. Give Neil a bell at www.cornerspeed.co.uk as he sell them.

if there isnt that much material on them, does it mean they wont last as long ?
Spareshack has a set of standart plates for 89 or ally for 99 i think.
which ones would be better ?
I ordered a set of ss bolts/springs and ally caps of ebay.
i guess in normal conditions, most of the noise comes from the plates hitting the basket, doesnt it ?
the "friction" noise i am getting is probably due to the material on the plates getting low.
Also, when i removed the push-rod, there seems to be some stuff on it, (WD40? oil ? clutch fluid ?) i guess i could be loosing a gasket somewhere, right ?

Pedro
12-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Stef, are the plates glazed? Mine was noisy as hell when engaging it because the plates were glazed - a few aggressive starts soon sorted it. Big handful of throttle and plenty of clutch slip like you're leaving the front row!!!