PDA

View Full Version : No ignition.

norrie
03-10-2005, 06:31 PM
I am having a problem starting the bike.
Sometimes when you switch the key on I am not getting ignition lights.
It's hard to track the fault down as it dosen't do it all the time.
I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems?
I am thinking a dodgy ignition switch but not sure.
It's a 600 and a 1998 model.

Thanks.

Norrie.

Scotty
03-10-2005, 06:43 PM
might be the head stock wires

do you have this problem on full lock left more often than full lock right ?

Pedro
03-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Mine does that occassionally too Norrie - knackered contacts in the switch barrel. They may be corroded a little causing the problem but I'm not sure you can get it apart to clean em.

Ped

norrie
03-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Yeah that's what I think it is.
I'm going to give it a good spray with release oil.
I just wondered if anyone had similar problems and got to the bottom of it.

Norrie.

Julie
04-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Ruth had that problem a while ago - i think its your ignition relay. The little yellow inch square jobby under your seat. Cost under a fiver for a new one and you pop it out and pop a new one in and she should be ok then. I guess you have checked and changed all your fuses?

scrumpster
04-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Blimey, I'm having the exact same problem on my 600 at the mo, but if I put the headlight switch on the ignition lights come on!! An earth wire has been mentioned to me on two occasions! Jeez i wish I knew more about these matters :o Oh and before all this started my datatool played up as well.

norrie
04-10-2005, 05:57 PM
i think its your ignition relay

Good chance that's what it is because I initially thought it was a dodgy fuse but I think I have ruled that one out.
When it first happened I lifted the seat to muck about with the fuses and it went okay.
The ignition relay is right next to the fuse box so tht's probably what it is.

Thanks.

Norrie.

dazzawr
13-11-2005, 07:55 AM
I`ll put money on it being your ignition relay. They cost about £15 and it just plugs straight in. I`ve had two go with the same symptons.

scrumpster
13-11-2005, 09:41 AM
I`ll put money on it being your ignition relay. They cost about £15 and it just plugs straight in. I`ve had two go with the same symptons.

You been ripped off, mine was about £6 inc VAT :eek: from Snells in Alton.