PDA

View Full Version : Starter motor

markusasparagus
03-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Has anyone out there got a starter motor for a 2001 750 monster. Everyone says they don't break, but they do!! The inners of mine have completely melted, and I'm not prepared to pay the ransom that Ducati are asking. Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

bod
03-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Take it to an auto electrician shop type thing they can recondition it for you...did mine on my mates car recently for £18 in bits,labour was free though(ok a few pints afterward) :)

A Yerbury
03-10-2005, 08:55 PM
they do an end kit for the starter for about 10 quid? brushes/bushes (I always forget what they are called) plates, live screw etc otherwise try a breakers or electrics place as whoever makes the starters probably makes them for others (cheaper)

markusasparagus
04-10-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks, I've been to an auto electrician and it's beyond repair unfortunately. I've also been to Denso who make the starter and they only supply this model to Ducati. I think i have located a second hand one but the guy sounded a bit vague on the phone so I'll keep looking. There just don't seem to be any about at the moment, I guess I'll have to be patient.

Duncan
04-10-2005, 05:45 PM
They are a kngs ransom and they do break. Cheapest new is on ebay for about £185.

I got a used one recently from ebay for about £45 but they often go as far as £80. The whole range seem to use similar motor so though mine was from a 2001 996 it fitted a 1999 900. One tip is to search international ebayers in Holland and Germany where they often go for a lot less sobs but just search under Ducati as starter motor is not a universal term. I missed one that went for 15 euro in Germany.

You take a chance but you're right, they are often unrepairable as was the case with mine. Electrician put a meter across it and laughed when I said 'can it be rewound'.

A Yerbury
04-10-2005, 05:49 PM
They are a kngs ransom and they do break. Cheapest new is on ebay for about £185.

I got a used one recently from ebay for about £45 but they often go as far as £80. The whole range seem to use similar motor so though mine was from a 2001 996 it fitted a 1999 900. One tip is to search international ebayers in Holland and Germany where they often go for a lot less sobs but just search under Ducati as starter motor is not a universal term. I missed one that went for 15 euro in Germany.

You take a chance but you're right, they are often unrepairable as was the case with mine. Electrician put a meter across it and laughed when I said 'can it be rewound'.

If doing a euro search use the downloadable parts guides as they feature each part in, well, loads of languages.

markusasparagus
04-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all your help. spoke to Riders in Bristol today, they were very helpful, the list of bikes this starter fits is endless, from 851's to 998's; the only surprise is that there aren't more around. I have a couple of leads I'm following up now, one in doncaster and one in gosport so fingers crossed I can be back on the road just in time for the start of winter :mad:, if i'm lucky.

rich
04-10-2005, 08:25 PM
my be this seller can help?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Breaking-Ducati-Monster-600-DO-NOT-BID_W0QQitemZ8005032558QQcategoryZ10448QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

rich

bod
04-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Who is the seller in Doncaster and why havn't I seen him around?

(not much help on your starter motor search sorry)

markusasparagus
04-10-2005, 10:48 PM
The seller in Doncaster is a breaker, MT motorcycles I think, don't have my address book in front of me. They were a bit,no, very rude on the phone so I am reluctant to do business as they didn't fill me with confidence :confused: . I got their details through partfinder.co.uk.

Duncan
05-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Could try Louigi moto nr Bristol on 0777 555 7797, he often has 2nd hand ones in.