PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tap

Blue Beastie
03-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Hell all,

I was doing some work on the monster at the weekend, basically trying to get the choke to switch off. Thought I would follow the Haynes manual which suggests removing the fuel tank, battery, battery tray and air box plus all the bits that attach to it. I learned a lot about the bike which was good but could probably have done it without removing anything. I'm glad I did it the long way.

Anyway, I had to leave the fuel tank on but propped up becasue I couldn't stop fuel pissing out the carb side of the tap even with it set to off.

Am I missing something? Is it bust? It's a 96 M600 and the tap is bolted onto the frame. The book says to disconnect the hose on the carb side, which makes sense. Are fuel taps easy to come by if I need a new one.

Cheers

Neil.

The Kevlar Kid
03-10-2005, 09:50 AM
Anyway, I had to leave the fuel tank on but propped up becasue I couldn't stop fuel pissing out the carb side of the tap even with it set to off.

Is it bust?

Sounds like it. Never had to get one for a monster, but you can usually get a overhaul kit for fuel taps. Someone else will know I'm sure.

Glad you had fun tinkering though, you can't beat it.

The Kevlar Kid
03-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Meant to suggest:

In the meantime, either drain the tank into a petrol can (so you can pour it back in after)

or

Disconnect the pipe on the tank side and jam a suitably sized bolt in the pipe to stop the petrol coming out (or clamp it if you have something like a brake hose clamp in you tool kit).

You'll need to do this anyway when you replace / overhaul the tap.

stuartg
03-10-2005, 11:15 AM
My 96 mon hasnt got a tap. Fitted a quick release type coupling instead. Cost about a fiver.

Blue Beastie
03-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Cheers for the advice. Will get a petrol can tonight to drain the tank. THink I'll try and take the tap apart to see what gives. A new tap is £22 which I could do without paying at the moment!! Petrol smells good though. :D

bod
03-10-2005, 07:21 PM
If your working in these dark nites on the bike and doing petrol type related jobs don't forget a match is a usefull sorce of ilumination :lol:

Rockhopper
04-10-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm fairly sure our 1997 M600 hasn't got a tap, just a vacuum thing.

Blue Beastie
04-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Mine has an on/off tap on the right hand side of the bike :confused: bolted to the frame. Now I'm confused!

Bod thanks for your words of wisdom - now away and chase Aunt Flo.

stef
04-10-2005, 10:55 AM
some had it, some didnt. the tap on my m600 use to work, as per Haynes.
(the 900 doesnt have a tap, not even the bracket on the frame to have one.)

Stuarg, does your quick release thingy stops petrol pouring out when disconnected, or is it a basic coupler ? (i'd be interested.. very usefull if it stops petrol)