PDA

View Full Version : Laser Eye

barnaby
03-10-2005, 07:00 AM
I know this is only loosely linked to bikes, but I am considering getting laser eye surgery to get rid of my glasses. One of the reasons for this is not having to faff about with helmets Vs glasses.

I have heard that some people have problems with night vision after the op?
Has anybody any experience with this op or know anyone who has?

I have got a consultation this afternoon to see if I am suitable for lasering or not!

Thanks
:eek: :eek: :eek:

stef
03-10-2005, 08:52 AM
I was also considering it.
But it seems that you never get 20/20 vision back, and that it deteriorates back to what it was after a few years. Some people still need glasses after the op.
But these could just be old women's tales. I keep my eyes open (see what i have done here ?)

Mark Walker
03-10-2005, 09:29 AM
not sure it is something I would go for, not sure the long term effects have been properly studied......

SAMMYE
03-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Get it done! Look at me in the pic you can tell it works.

p.s. At least it stops people like Yerbs and RichardS taking the P*ss

Darry
03-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Yes, you are hearing old wives tales.

I had laser surgery about 5 years ago now... absolutely no problems at all.

I was told by the laser surgeon that as people get older they can become long sighted so eventually you'll need reading glasses, the only way to combat this is to have just one eye lasered. While the lasered eye becomes long sighted the eye you don't get done ends up getting 'less-short' sighted. The brain works out the rest. This is what I went for and have had no problems at all... this can cause some people to get headaches though due to the extra brain work involved... guess I had spare capacity! :D

Also means not having to worry about staying out all night and waking to find contact lenses glued to the eye-balls! :eek:

nik_the_brief
03-10-2005, 10:37 AM
eg:
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/lasik/

Mark Walker
03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
not saying it is a bad thing, but it hasn't been around long enough for full scale long-term clinical trials of the long term effects....I just wouldn't suggest anyone went for it without reading and researching all the advice they can find on it.....as with a lot of medical interventions, whether a tube of wart cream from the chemist or heart surgery, people selectively ignore warnings as just 'part of the process'.....it is always worth consdiering both sides of the story........which is why i stopped taking my prescription for acid indigestion........the side-effects included the development of breasts..... :eek:

http://optics.org/articles/news/6/6/21

nik_the_brief
03-10-2005, 10:59 AM
which is why i stopped taking my prescription for acid indigestion........the side-effects included the development of breasts..... :eek:

FANTASTIC - where can I get some to put in the missus's tea (although she's already wonderfully endowed ya just can't get enough of a good thing...) :twisted:

stef
03-10-2005, 11:02 AM
no figures on "yield".. would have been interesting..
plus, i practice contact sports.

copy starts here

When is LASIK not for me?

You are probably NOT a good candidate for refractive surgery if:

You are not a risk taker. Certain complications are unavoidable in a percentage of patients, and there are no long-term data available for current procedures.
It will jeopardize your career. Some jobs prohibit certain refractive procedures. Be sure to check with your employer/professional society/military service before undergoing any procedure.
Cost is an issue. Most medical insurance will not pay for refractive surgery. Although the cost is coming down, it is still significant.
You required a change in your contact lens or glasses prescription in the past year. This is called refractive instability. Patients who are:
In their early 20s or younger,
Whose hormones are fluctuating due to disease such as diabetes,
Who are pregnant or breastfeeding, or
Who are taking medications that may cause fluctuations in vision,
are more likely to have refractive instability and should discuss the possible additional risks with their doctor.

You have a disease or are on medications that may affect wound healing. Certain conditions, such as autoimmune diseases (e.g., lupus, rheumatoid arthritis), immunodeficiency states (e.g., HIV) and diabetes, and some medications (e.g., retinoic acid and steroids) may prevent proper healing after a refractive procedure.
You actively participate in contact sports. You participate in boxing, wrestling, martial arts or other activities in which blows to the face and eyes are a normal occurrence.
You are not an adult. Currently, no lasers are approved for LASIK on persons under the age of 18.
Precautions
The safety and effectiveness of refractive procedures has not been determined in patients with some diseases. Discuss with your doctor if you have a history of any of the following:

Herpes simplex or Herpes zoster (shingles) involving the eye area.
Glaucoma, glaucoma suspect, or ocular hypertension.
Eye diseases, such as uveitis/iritis (inflammations of the eye)
Eye injuries or previous eye surgeries.
Keratoconus
Other Risk Factors
Your doctor should screen you for the following conditions or indicators of risk:

Blepharitis. Inflammation of the eyelids with crusting of the eyelashes, that may increase the risk of infection or inflammation of the cornea after LASIK.

Large pupils. Make sure this evaluation is done in a dark room. Younger patients and patients on certain medications may be prone to having large pupils under dim lighting conditions. This can cause symptoms such as glare, halos, starbursts, and ghost images (double vision) after surgery. In some patients these symptoms may be debilitating. For example, a patient may no longer be able to drive a car at night or in certain weather conditions, such as fog.
Thin Corneas. The cornea is the thin clear covering of the eye that is over the iris, the colored part of the eye. Most refractive procedures change the eye’s focusing power by reshaping the cornea (for example, by removing tissue). Performing a refractive procedure on a cornea that is too thin may result in blinding complications.
Previous refractive surgery (e.g., RK, PRK, LASIK). Additional refractive surgery may not be recommended. The decision to have additional refractive surgery must be made in consultation with your doctor after careful consideration of your unique situation.
Dry Eyes. LASIK surgery tends to aggravate this condition.

Mark Walker
03-10-2005, 11:03 AM
If only I could remember the name of the drug......could probably do a roaring trade on the black market...........

james9327
03-10-2005, 02:21 PM
I had both eyes done five years ago best thing i ever did
I heard lots of dissaster tales,but the procedure couldnt have been any better. Its not totally without pain,but the freedom is well worth it

Pugi
03-10-2005, 02:39 PM
I am also considering having it done. But thinking of going to Germany or the US to do it since they are considered the best.

spacemonkey
03-10-2005, 02:44 PM
I have done extensive research into this as I hate goggles too. It seems that every time the procedure is done that some damage is done to the nerve/receptors that is responsible for lubing the eyes. This is in varying degrees in each patient. Some people will report no difference, but some can totally lose the eye watering effect. I have very dry eyes as normal so it is not for me-I get enough grief wearing contacts! Also, you are having surgery in your direct line of sight thus the night time distortions that you hear about post surgery. Another thing that you don't hear much about is that if you opt for lasik, where they cut a small flap away from the cornea, there is a high chance that it won't heal properly. There have been many cases where rubbing the eye much later cases the flap to come loose again, and this of course, leads to a bit of irritation....

There is, however, another way..

http://www.lcrs.co.uk/menu/procedures

This is what I will be having when I can be arsed. No surgery inthe line of sight, and no dodgy flaps. No lasers in the eyeball and no night time distortions. No eye drying and no concerns about long term effects-this procedure has been around for 50 years or more. Costs much more than lasik, but cuts out a lot of risks if you ask me.

And now for something completely different: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/flyeye.html

CraigMac
03-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Its all a bit "Space age" if you ask me!! but then again, i suppose its less cumbersome than carrying oxy-acetaline cutting gear around with you, but think of the danger involved if you have had a few to many shandies and start leering at a bit of skirt.....and you have forgotten to turn the "Instant death/cutting people in half mode" off!!...... Mayhem .....

I would stick to the X-ray specs...a much safer option.

Regards.

dazzi-b
03-10-2005, 05:28 PM
I had it done earlier this year and havent loked back since................mind you I aint looked forward or sidewards either :D

Its the best thing I could have had done and have no regrets at all :cool:

Mand
03-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Wear glasses.

All the best people do.

A Yerbury
03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
A friend of mine got his peepers lasered. they work properly now although he no longer resembles Joe 90 (shame really)

Yours making passes at girls in glasses.
AY.

barnaby
04-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Well, I went for my consultation with optical express and after them poking about with my eyes for an hour or so, they tell me I could have the surgery done.
After bravely resisting their sales girl's patter I got out into the sweet fresh air (of Birmingham?).
Anyhow their best offer was £595 per eye! So much for the £395 per eye quoted on their website.
So now I think I am going to have it done, but with Optimax, as they (via Ebay of all places!) do the do for £795 for both eyes!?!
Apparently they sell you the short term appointments they can't fill up for this price. And with interest free too!
Would laser eye surgery be too weird a thing to buy from ebay?

dean
04-10-2005, 07:36 AM
i heard johhnie walker talking about eye treatment yesterday, they mentioned a website, cant remember exactly what it was called but it was something like new horizons eye treatment, apparently it's revolutionary, costs £1295 per peeper.

if you log on to the bbc website you might be able to track it down.

there, thats my good deed for the month.