PDA

View Full Version : speedo stopped working

inchman
23-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Hello, my speedo stopped working, checked the cable - ok. checked the drive at the wheel- ok. I took the dash apart and removed the speedo from the housing. how does the actual white part of the speedo seperate. does the black ring that holds the glass screw off .Any body got a speedo for a 1994 m900 or any ideas how to fix my own.
cheers Inchman

ericdy
16-10-2005, 08:21 PM
My speedometer stopped working suddenly as well. Yesterday, I had the front tyre changed. It was working when I drove the bike home from the shop. Today, this morning, I noticed the needle seeming to quiver when I was on the motorway but it continued to function so I just thought I hadn't noticed it before and was being paranoid. The bike sat for 4 or 5 hours then I rode home and a mile into the ride I looked down and the needle was resting on the pin doing nothing despite an est speed of 60mph. I'm guessing something came loose after they removed the wheel for the tyre change? The cable is connected at the housing at the wheel and at the speedometer and nothing seems loose. Has anyone had this happen? I'm hoping that there isn't some sensor in the wheel housing that has fallen off and now is being destroyed by the rotating axle.
eric (98 M600)

Rockhopper
16-10-2005, 08:55 PM
The M600 has a cable driven speedo. Possibly the speedo drive has been crushed and cracked when the wheel was re fitted becasue the fitter overtightened the spindle. Unscrew the cable at the wheel end and see if the inner is still in one piece. An new inner is about £12 and a second hand speedo drive is about the same.

NattyBoy
17-10-2005, 12:33 AM
I have a 888 speedo which should fit..let me know if you need it.

Nat

inchman
19-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Before I took my speedo apart I hooked a cordless drill to the speedo. It worked, so I knew the speeedo want'nt the problem. I jacked the front of the bike and spun the wheel. The cable was slipping in the drive. I turned the cable upside down putting the longer end into the speedo drive and on in past the wear. The speedo is working fine since.

hope this helps.

cheers Gary

Jim66a
19-10-2005, 04:23 PM
sounds like you need a new speedo drive rather than fiddling about with the speedo head to me

ericdy
27-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the input. Had the bike in to Ducati Dublin for a service that was due anyway and they replaced the odo/speedo cable. Didn't get to speak to the mechanic so I don't know which part was actually broken. Glad it's fixed, but annoyed that the mechanic who replaced the tyre broke it in the first place.

fordy
08-11-2005, 10:31 PM
My speedo has stopped working too. it went erratic when stationary, then for a few miles it jumped all over the place. it has now stopped. the clock is ok because it moves when i turn the key on. my cable goes to the rear wheel. i have checked the fuse and looked at the cable end - both seem fine. I don't know what to do next or how the speedo sensor works. any help?

scrumpster
09-11-2005, 06:12 AM
This happened on my 2000 M600 last year. I changed the speedo cable and found that the old one had snapped inside the housing. Of course you can't see it, but it's worth trying changing the cable first as it's a cheap option. :)