PDA

View Full Version : Charging problem

stuartg
20-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Went out on Sunday and bike was running fine. After about 20 miles it started to run a bit rough so pulled over and turned engine off. Tried to re start but battery was flat. Bike push started ok and I rode it home fine without lights on. I suspect the alternator but is there anything else I should check and can anyone give me any advice on how I can check the alternator. The battery has been charged and seems ok. Also my rev counter has started to work intermittently, this may just be coincidental but I haven't ruled out a connection.

Any advice would be great.
Stuart

Scotty
20-09-2005, 08:48 PM
run the engine and put a multimeter across the battery should be +13 (or-13 if yuo do it backwards) to 14.5 or sumit

the other thing to check is the rectifier thing (errm at the front of the tank under the forks on the 600 ? ) check the connections on that

http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/ducati-points.htm

SimonH
20-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Stuart,
It's unlikely to be the alternator itself, but is more likely to be the regulator/rectifier or simply a bad connection. Best thing is to find the regulator/rectifier and check that all the connections are OK. Start the bike, and as Scotty says you should have about 14 volts across the battery terminals when the motor is running anything above tickover. If all the connections are OK between the alternator - regulator - battery then try replacing the regulator/rectifier. Best thing is to borrow one which you know is working and try it out. They tend to be expensive, so don't buy one to start with. If it is the regulator, then you may wish to buy an after-market replacement, these usually work out cheaper and are no less reliable. Newtronics make one which is sold by after-market companies like M&P.

Best of luck

SimonH

stuartg
20-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I have checked the voltage whilst running and it was reading 12.5 volts, but was decreasing as the battery was discharging. Checked connections, all seem ok. I will try a regulator first and go from there.

Thanks again
Stuart

Chappers
21-09-2005, 08:51 AM
You're welcome to borrow my regulator/rectifier to test on your bike as I'm not using the bike til Saturday, just buzz me if you need it :)

spacemonkey
21-09-2005, 03:26 PM
For cheap good uprated reggies, and alternators try here: http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/