PDA

View Full Version : I know technically its not a monster but it is Italian

claicerrig
15-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Ok for all the Engine Gurus out there especially 2strokes

I have just Totally rebuilt the engine on my KRAMIT 250 Enduro (its Italian OK :rolleyes: ) which is fitted with a Rotax 2 stroke engine

My question is :-

A) How many hours do i need to Run the Engine For it to be Run In????
B) Which is the correct way to Run it in ????? bering in mind No Clock or Rev counter

Helpfull tips Appreciated as i dont want to spend £500 too soon :eek: More mods required on the Monster to pay 1st

Cheers

Clai

Paranoid Dave
15-09-2005, 07:53 PM
interesting one that, my thoughts (useful or not) would be that normal running in requires a mix of speeds and trying not to sit at one particular speed too long, and not stressing the engine. As the time is usually marked in miles to the first service, work out how many miles you might cover in an hour, of mixed speeds and the work out how many hours it'd take before you cover the breaking in point.
My friend has just had an RS125 engine rebuild and been told to go easy for 500 miles and no revs above 8000. So no fun for her then as the bike only gets good at that point and onwards up to 13k. It also means she cant get above 65mph right now. Hope that helps in some way but it would suggest 500 miles worth of time is what you need. I would also think that the first service covers the checking of everything and that all important oil change, as you can't be certain about the miles once you've given it ....hours running so long as it has clean oil it should be safe to start using it to its potential.

I'd say 10 hours to oil change then be gentle for a while after that?

But i'm no expert. :D

crust
15-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Its a competition two stroke.

The piston life will be 20-30 hours before needing rings, then another 20-30 before new piston time.

Every other piston you will probably be looking at a little+big end.

This will depend on how hard its used, hence the vagueness.

I'd make sure its running on good quality two stroke and always warm it up before thrashing.

I used to run my bikes in by warming them thoroughly then letting them cool down a couple of times then take it easy for 20-30 mins, build up the strain on the engine, gradual periods of full throttle under load.

Then cane it. :D

:) Crust

claicerrig
15-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks Dave

They pretty mirror what i was thinking .I just might fit a bike speedo to it just to be on the safe side millage wise :D

Crust cheers :D .If i dont get the hours in by next Saturday i will use your method :burnout: