PDA

View Full Version : engine died

tommo
15-09-2005, 02:02 PM
was on my way to horndean last night and had been riding for about 45 mins when all of a sudden it stated to bog down then within 100 yards (on a round about) conked out and wouldn't re-fire untill i put the choke on and it fired 1st go and was after that, infact it went like the clappers.

would i be right in thinking it was a bit of crap in a jet that then cleared?

any thought anyone????

Chappers
15-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Pete put that Redex stuff in mine when it did that and it was fine after :confused:

tommo
15-09-2005, 02:29 PM
i use fuchs silkolene booster every 3 or 4 tanks as it's suppossed to clean the carb's, so i wonder if it is working and it was just a larger bit of poo that had been dislodged that blocked it.

MotoNik
20-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey Tommo,

It occured to me that the thing with your bike may have been caused by the breather on your fuel tank being blocked.

I'm guessing you were riding down the A3, and you'd been going a while at a constant pace. It's possible that if the breather is blocked you got a vacuum in the tank, and petrol stopped getting to the carbs, the flow was slowed down considerably.

If it happens again it would be worth opening the filler cap and seeing if you get a hiss of air. If that's the case then give your breather pipe a blow through with an air hose (they get a bit crudded up over time), and that might sort it.

Of course it might not be that, but it seems plausible.

cheers,

Nik

tommo
20-09-2005, 03:15 PM
hi nik, it did it again on sunday...
riding for 20 mins (town stuff)- fine
went up a steep hill then loss of power then stopped,
took around 5 mins to start then was fine for the next 100 miles (A272,A32, A31 etc.)
but the tank makes a whining noise, even just if the temp. changes and i haven't been riding.
does that sound like a blocked breather?

MotoNik
20-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Blow out the breather pipe and if it doesn't do it again then I was right!

Alternatively, if it does it again, open the filler cap (releasing the vacuum), give the carbs a few moments to re-fill, and it should start again a bit quicker.

Keep us posted!

cheers,

Nik

tommo
20-09-2005, 04:16 PM
will do, thanks for the tips.