PDA

View Full Version : Front Sprocket question

MikeG
14-09-2005, 06:08 AM
Now this IS a dumb question, but rather important!
I have had the bike in bits for a few weeks and when putting it back together I cannot remember which way round the front sprocket should go.
Should the flat side be facing in or out. I seem to recall that the flat side was in, but on looking at the Haynes manual the flat side is out, also the Ducati parts manual shows the flat side as out.
Now if I put the flat side facing in, I have no problems getting the screws in, but flat side out and they will not locate at all!!!

HELP :confused: :confused:

Pedro
14-09-2005, 06:48 AM
Flat side out......

JMo
14-09-2005, 07:57 AM
It depends on which bike/chain/wheel width you are running...

On the M600/620 (and 750) with a narrower rear wheel, the chain line is different to the M900 - so on my 620, the flat side is towards the engine, moving the chain closer to the wheel... on the wider rear wheels, you need to put it the other way round so that the chain is further out to clear the wider tyre...

Best way to check (other than RTFM) is to fit the sprocket and chain and check the chain line is straight/sprockets are alligned from the rear of the bike...

xxx

MikeG
14-09-2005, 08:00 AM
I should have said its an M600 - 2001 standard wheels and chain size.

Just a small point!!!!!!! :eek:

RTFM :confused: :confused:

MikeG
15-09-2005, 09:19 AM
No definative answer then???

I will have to put it on and see what happens. :confused:

JMo
16-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Like I said above - as you have an M600 (with a narrower rear wheel) - I imagine the sprocket goes on with the flat face facing inwards (as you suspected) so the chainline is closer to the wheel - stick it on, then have a look down the chainline from the rear of the bike (best to take the hugger off so you get a clearer view) - if the chain is straight, you're in business...

xxx