PDA

View Full Version : Revs went to 0 for a few seconds whilst riding today

djkus
13-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi, I witnessed this the other day but thought I had imagined it..
looked at rev counter as going through town at about 30 mph or so.. it was at 0! was going ok apart from that, preety sure engine was still running..
anyway, same thing happened today, just looked down, was at 0, changed gear, 0... then reved a little and went back up.

any idea whats happening?
dont know if engine cut out, but i didnt slow down or stop or anything out of the ordinary.

ive got a 2001 monster 600 with 5890 miles on her.

A Yerbury
13-09-2005, 06:43 PM
either you slipped into another dimension (it happens) or there is a wonky wire to the coil bits (possibly not 100% sure) It sounds like a wire thing though.

Alex.

tommo
13-09-2005, 06:46 PM
i think u would know if the engine had died but i have heard that the rev counters can be a bit tempremental, check to see if the plug on the back is ok and the terminals dont look corroded.

djkus
13-09-2005, 06:48 PM
yeah, i guessud a corroded connection somewhere, god knows ive allready had to repair the indicator connections and the oil filter connections and the front brake connections, ducatis sure dont like the uk weather do they?
ok thanks for advice, glad to hear its nothing major.. hopefully.
ill give all wires a once over when cleaning on sunday.
paul

A Yerbury
13-09-2005, 06:53 PM
sounds like you have an early 6 like me, the electrics are pretty diabolical but not that tricky to fix, thankfully I dont have a rev counter to worry about.

djkus
13-09-2005, 08:41 PM
yeah, 2001 model, the connections do tend to corrode very easily with a little uk weather from what ive noticed.

MikeG
14-09-2005, 07:19 AM
Same symptoms cured by cleaning the contacts and tightening up the right hand (off side) connector on the coil. Seemed a strage cure but it worked and has never occurred again.
2001 - M600

djkus
14-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Update on the problem, it was much much worse today, every time i slowed down in traffic, revs went to 0 and sounded like engine was running very very idle... took a lot of revs to get going at the lights.. was almost like moving off in 3rd gear, after 2000 revs or so, it would kick in and it would be back to normal.
I rang up ducati dealer in n.ireland (charles hurst!), and they told me it was due for its first major service as it has never had one..
Cost?
£350 and thats not guaranteed to fix the problem!

thats oil/air filters, the usual service thing...

Brought it to a guy near me who works on ducatis himself, he is doing all the filters and putting new belt on (aint had one yet).
£150 from him, some may think its dear, but at the end of the day, still £200 cheaper than official service place..

anyway, he knows about the problem and will look into it.
Ill let you know what caused it..
It was not just a bad connection with rev counter, genuianly was something not right happening with the engine..

would the timing belt thing coz such a problem u think?
i know nothing..