PDA

View Full Version : New Bike... Check the licence plate!

paul620sie
07-09-2005, 02:47 PM
I've been riding my new bike (sorry its not a monster) for two weeks and only noticed the licence plate is wrong when i wheeled it out of the garage this afternoon!

The sales reciept, V5 and tax disc all say ???? VYH, the plate says ???? VYX. The dealer has apoligied and is sorting it tomorrow but lesson learnt.... check the number plate on your new bike before you get stopped.

Mand
07-09-2005, 02:55 PM
what are they going to do? Just swap the number plates? Does the chassis number match up with your V5?

Melnie Mouse
07-09-2005, 03:40 PM
and check the colour too of the bike incase of wrong V5

A Yerbury
07-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I suppose an H could look like an X? although this way you need not bother with those speed camera things one hears so much about these days?

AleH.

paul620sie
07-09-2005, 09:45 PM
what are they going to do? Just swap the number plates? Does the chassis number match up with your V5?

Everything on the V5 matches (make model colour VIN etc) the bike just has the wrong plate. The dealer is suppling the right plate asap

My only concern is does someone have my number plate! are they winning me points on their incorrectly registered bike?

tetol
07-09-2005, 09:51 PM
i rode my ktm for 18 months before i noticed it had the wrong plate on it

A Yerbury
08-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Everything on the V5 matches (make model colour VIN etc) the bike just has the wrong plate. The dealer is suppling the right plate asap

My only concern is does someone have my number plate! are they winning me points on their incorrectly registered bike?

it is possible to worry oneself to death. I did work with a bloke that did this with all his vehicles, he changed the last digit, he was a cheeky monkey. The odds of somebody copying your number plate and doing a ghost rider are quite high I'd imagine..

Alex.

Chappers
08-09-2005, 08:27 AM
I'd get the dealer to track down the owner (incorrect registration) just to get them to check their plate is correct - what a feck up ay?! :mad: :rolleyes:

CK & AK
08-09-2005, 08:32 AM
what number is your bike reg on the insurance?

might be worth checking that, as they will do anything to wiggle out of paying if there is an accident........

jill
09-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Hi Paul

And how is your new bike? Did you get the Triumph in the end?

Jill

paul620sie
09-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi Paul

And how is your new bike? Did you get the Triumph in the end?

Jill

Hi Jill,

Yep, i have a daytona 650, currently running it in (and being held up by a major DIY project at home). Its great, i was planning to post review after its first service.

Paul

jill
11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi Jill,

Yep, i have a daytona 650, currently running it in (and being held up by a major DIY project at home). Its great, i was planning to post review after its first service.

Paul

Great to hear you're enjoying it.

Re: the number plate mix-up. I used to work at Ford and you would be amazed at the amount of number plate mix ups by the DVLA (or by the initial registration, or putting on the wrong plates etc). It really was very common indeed.

bod
11-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Yep I would 2nd that I work at a largeish garage and get at least one person after the new registration comes out complaining that the number plates don't match (sometimes even front to back) :)
And these must be the people that check this when picking up the car!
How many don't
.......Sounds of people twitching cutains/opening garage doors to check cars and bikes number plates against V5's :eek: