PDA

View Full Version : Wine making

mad_turnips
07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
does anyone here make their own wine ?

have been looking into it seems simple enough but thinkit might be deceptive

MikeG
07-09-2005, 12:50 PM
I don't think it is very difficult, but can you wait that long for a drink? My dad used to make wine and it seemed like he was in competition to make the strangest brew possible with the neighbours.
OK, he was in competition with the neighbours, not using them as an ingredient...
Nettle and dock leaf anyone?

I have done the beer bit, but got bored. Now I go to Bargain Booze!

BlueHaze
07-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I made a few kits in my yoof, but perhaps that I wasn't as fussy then...

Like home brewing, you can either take the kit route or do your own thing completely by squashing berrys etc.

From what I can remember, wine is pretty simple; get a tin of concentrate, dilute it, chuck in some yeast, put it in a demijohn and stick it in the airing cupboard for a few days.

I haven't made any wine for years but I still do the occasional beer kit. BTW, by far the best beer kit and a reasonable imitaion of the real thing is the Woodforde Wherry kit.

The good thing about "rolling your own" wine is that you can make it out of nearly anything. Jam wine is a good one as it contains fuit and sugar.
I had a book of wine recipies which had one that you made out of a bottle of Ribena!

steviej
07-09-2005, 05:06 PM
..................7Kg of red or white seeded grapes, scoff the lot and let nature take its course!!! ;)

Pugi
07-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Pretty much what Haze said.
Unless you have your own grapevine it's not worth it. If you do, go ahead. I'ts good fun and you really learn to appreciate all the work people put in to wine making when realising it's not quite the same.
Cheap if you just buy kits, but don't expect too much of a sofisticated bouquet...I too did this when 'young'(er). :rolleyes:

A Yerbury
07-09-2005, 05:29 PM
I had some elderflower wine the other day which was 18%, very nice, very cheap and very drunk. My father used to make his own (a habit formed whilst we lived in Saudi Arabia) get some cheap grape juice from lidl or one of these cash carry places and bobs your uncle as they say.

Alex.

ps.Bob Witowski really is my uncle.

Mrs Soup
09-09-2005, 12:36 PM
I used to make alot of wine, started using the kits, and went on to scrumping fruit. Takes time, even a kit started now will really only just be ready for christmas.

This is a good time of year to start, blackberry, elderberry Apple, pear and crabapple can generally be picked or scrounged, the more fruit the richer the wine.

The really important thing is to sterilise everything thoroughly.

Oh and the more sugar you add the stronger the wine is.... :D :D :D

Now where are the demijohns ??

mad_turnips
09-09-2005, 01:44 PM
hey Mrs S

never did hear back from your hubby ;)

can you ( or anyone else) give me a list of essential equip have about 3 differnt ones and a little confused

cheers

Mrs Soup
12-09-2005, 01:06 PM
can you ( or anyone else) give me a list of essential equip have about 3 differnt ones and a little confused

If you're making a kit

sterilising solution
wide mouthed funnel
demijon (one per gallon) plus one
airlock and cork (one per demijohn)
syphon tubing
hydrometer
wine finings

plus ingredients

If you're doing fruit add a bucket, plate that fits insde the bucket and a jelly straining cloth. But if you're doing fruit its a bit more complcated and I suggest you get a book.

Sorry about 'no joy' on the helmet front. You could always try asking again, he might have changed his mind.