PDA

View Full Version : My Tank is leaking

Mr C
07-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Been noticing a whif of petrol around my bike and though it was coming from the big bolt thing that holds the pump in the tank, Anyway managed to reseal that but it was still seaping and it looks to be from the hinge, Its not leaking badly infact it more of a mild seap. What can i do to repair this? I dont want to buy a new tank

Chappers
07-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Someone I knew had this problem on his tank and he took the tank off and put some of that liquid metal stuff all round the square plate (hinge) and then he put it back on and it hasn't leaked since :)

Just be careful when applying as you don't want it running down the edges and getting messy, try to tidy the edges up instantly and you shouldn't really notice it once it's back on.

If not I'd say new tank really :(

Good luck!

stef
07-09-2005, 08:39 AM
the hinge leak is very comon.
a few methods to solve the problem are:
-the liquid metal mentioned above
-a weld around the hinge
-a chemical that you pour in the tank to seal any leaks.

i have used the second one succesfully, and a few people around here have used the others. I am sure you will get some help.

JR
07-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Remove the tank after running the fuel down as far as possible - remove fuel pump.
Place tank on ground , insert hose pipe into tank. Fill with water, empty, fill with water empty fill with water empty.
Tank is now clear of fuel and Gas free.
Take the tank to any good body shop/metal fabricator/mobile welder. Fill with water again (to disperse heat), then have them braze the leaking joint/seam or tack weld.

Job done.

JR

stef
07-09-2005, 09:38 AM
that's more or less what i had done.
-exept, could not weld with tank full of water.. not enough local heat.
-tank slightly twisted due to heat (came back pretty easily though, with a little hammering in the right places)
-inside rusted because of water. Had to use hamerite rust remover for 24h to clear it.
so not that straight forward, but once it's done, it's solid !

crust
07-09-2005, 06:35 PM
The leak will be coming from under the hinge plate, the chemical metal method will only seal the edges.

The internal tank sealant method will need to be done with a flexible sealant, the leak was caused by flexing breaking the weld so it will break a rigid sealant as well.

I went for silver soldering on my tank.

Did the garden hose flush treatment a few times with a fair bit of washing up liquid in for good measure.

Wire brushed the paint off around the hinge, not enough, as what was left caught fire :eek:

ho hum more to repaint but it was all under the seat or under the tank so no biggie.

Mix up the flux, heat it till it goes clear liquid then feed in the silver solder rod, wait till it cools, some Hammerite and job done.

I chose silver solder as it gave the best trade off of a solid strong fix which would flow under the hinge plate and seal it with a the minimum of heat. Cost £8.00p from these people -

http://www.cupalloys.com/content.php?categoryId=47

:) Crust

sjr999r
07-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Mine leaks there, on the hinge.been told i need to have it pressure tested to make sure!!!!.Have to send it away for that noone does it down here (DEVON).but am planing on painting it in the Winter..but will have to make sure thats all sorted before hand,more bleedin money,grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

MotoNik
08-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Get some of this stuff:

http://www.frost.co.uk/productList.asp?catID=55

(scroll to the bottom of the page - PO15 motorcycle tank repair kit)

It's a bit of an arse to do, but I did my SS tank a few months back and it's been fine since. It leaves a tough epoxy coating on the inside of your tank.

Give me a shout if you need a few tips on doing it, although the instructions are pretty good.

cheers,

Nik

miked
29-01-2006, 04:29 PM
I too ordered the repair kit from frost.co.uk. Unfortunately the leak was worse than I thought so it's a reweld on the hinge plate required. However Frosts were very good, quick delivery and a refund.

SAM
03-02-2006, 06:11 PM
weld it! remove tank, drain it , use exhaust fumes from car to kill of any petrol fumes (about an hour) this should make it safe to weld(tig)!
worked for me anyway!!

A Yerbury
03-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Mine leaks there, on the hinge.been told i need to have it pressure tested to make sure!!!!.Have to send it away for that noone does it down here (DEVON).but am planing on painting it in the Winter..but will have to make sure thats all sorted before hand,more bleedin money,grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

which winter SJ it's the winter now?