PDA

View Full Version : smells like petrol

sambo
06-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Oh dear ive only had the bike for 4 weeks and its now smelling like a tramp getting high on the sweet smell of petrol. Over the last 3 days its got worse and worse you can smell petrol at least 3m away. The bike seems to run ok but bit unsure anyone got any ideas.

Cheers

Sam :confused:

BoozyBOB
06-09-2005, 07:20 PM
check the hinge on the tank...

nik_the_brief
06-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Check the pipes under the tank they perish quite readily and have a tendency to drip fuel onto your hot engine manifold. :eek:

A Yerbury
06-09-2005, 07:23 PM
thats probably petrol. have a look under the tank and check the connections, check the drain plug there, check the pipe (the one with the petrol in it) and finally check the back of the petrol tank (near the hinge, that is a weak spot) I once smelt petrol, I did the above and now I only smell petrol when I have run out of proper drugs and glue.

Good luck, it should be easy unless it is the tank.

Alex.

sambo
06-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Sorry i dont think i worded that quite right, the fuel smell is pissing out of the exhaust it aint no fuel leak. I may have the odd tendency to be a retard but not all the time.

Sam

A Yerbury
06-09-2005, 08:04 PM
hmm, are you sure? could be that it's not all going bang as it should, does it backfire (pop) a lot? It could be running very rich or you could try new plugs before you start paying ££££ the mechanics?

Alex.

Fosse Foxfight
06-09-2005, 08:43 PM
does it taste like chicken?

ahem I should leave the pith to Alexei Yerbovski

ta ra

sambo
06-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Done the plugs less than 500m ago when the bike began backing off under acceleration but put that down to water in tank as it was the only time the bike has been outside in rain. It does backfire a tiny bit but nothing to write home about. the old plugs that came out seemed spot on :confused:

Pedro
06-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Check the choke is not sticking

sambo
06-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Choke aint on its the only part on bike that is not working (that i knew about) cable seized :(

Sam

Pedro
06-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Blocked air filter?

sambo
06-09-2005, 09:33 PM
air filter was relaced at same time as plugs, is it possible that the carbs have become way to rich, i assume its just carbs and not controlled by ECU.

Sam

Pedro
06-09-2005, 10:14 PM
I know you've changed them but I'd try another set of plugs. I've bought at least two sets from Halfords that have been ****e and lasted ony a few hundred miles before it started running rough again.

Ratchet
06-09-2005, 11:09 PM
if the choke cables siezed, how do you know its not partially on ?

Rockhopper
07-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Our M600 did this and still does a little bit. It was just running way too rich initially becasue some ham fisted idiot attempted to "service" it.

A Yerbury
07-09-2005, 05:24 PM
if the choke cables siezed, how do you know its not partially on ?

it's just a slider at the back of the carbs with about 10mm pull, mine is just a cable now that runs to the side of the bike with black wire flex around the cable looped then screwed together with a block connector, sounds a bit heath robs but looks rather cool in my deluded world.

sambo
07-09-2005, 06:33 PM
i assume that if the choke was partially on then it would have stank of petrol from day one but already looked at this and the blighter is back seated like two teenagers at the cinema, gonna have to go and get the carbs tuned me thinks :(

Sam

A Yerbury
07-09-2005, 06:45 PM
i assume that if the choke was partially on then it would have stank of petrol from day one but already looked at this and the blighter is back seated like two teenagers at the cinema, gonna have to go and get the carbs tuned me thinks :(

Sam

they are pigs to get to which is why I am putting some pod filters on next week, if you were considering a dynojet stage one or two kit then try putting that on before you take the bike in for a tweak and dyno run, best to get these jobs done at once and about 150 quid cheaper in the long run.

Alex.

ps.the dynojet kit makes a big difference.

sambo
08-09-2005, 07:30 AM
how much difference are we talking on the dynojet kit as the bike seems to top out just over a ton but top gear is really slugish. how much are these said kits and who sells them?

Sam

A Yerbury
08-09-2005, 07:37 AM
info here http://www.pdq1.com/ a few more bhp, open the air box a bit and fit a proper can, you wont get much more top out of a 600 but a good chunk of welly (excuse the tech speak) right throughout, once it's all put on a dyno centre will set it all up and give you a before and after. A good mod for a 600, granted not as much whack as a 680 kit or keihin fcr carb mod but 400 quid cheaper.

Alex.

mpg will improve slightly...possibly.