PDA

View Full Version : belts for 900.. how much ?

stef
05-09-2005, 05:45 PM
How much could i hope to get a set of belts for an m900 for ?
and where will i get the best deal ?
I intend to put them on myself...
(by the way, it is supposed to be a critical operation, which should be done with great care..has anbody got any horror stories, or is it greatly exagerated stuff. If out of 100people, 100 got it right, i suppose i am statistically going to succeed.)
thank you please.

A Yerbury
05-09-2005, 05:51 PM
the vertical on my 6oo was a bit of a pain, very tight fit...I eneded up disconnecting the central adjuster, plus the top pilley did not want to stay in its correct spot but spring either side of this, I used a mole grip to hold the b astard...this falls into the category of "misuse of blunt instruments" but I got there in the end and after 1000 miles nothing bad has happened.

Pedro
05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Stef

I paid about £30 for a set a few weeks back from Moto Rapido in Winchester - 01962 877996. You could try www.ducatisparesonline.co.uk as well

As for changing them, it's not too difficult, takes me about 30 mins if I put my mind to it. Just be careful when lining up all the timing marks on the cams etc and make sure the tensioners are set right. www.ducatisuite.com has a decent article on how to change them. Haynes manual also not bad.

Ped

stef
05-09-2005, 06:44 PM
thank you lads..
i'll check ducati leeds tomorow. (i work accross the road, would be a shame not to give them a try, but at least i know i wont be ripped off..)

CK & AK
05-09-2005, 08:09 PM
what Ped said.

if paying a workshop purely just to do the belts, you should expect to pay for belts (retail between £25 & £45, depending on whether a 'Ducati store' or local franchise) and also an hours labour (they dont charge for 30mins) - and add the VAT on top.

We buy our belts for about £22, and the job takes Alan about 25 mins tops - but he also checks the shims & valve clearances etc too at the same time.
We check rockers every 12,000 miles or 2 years - but have only been unlucky with one tiddler of a monster so far, but that was in a heap when we got it.
Although it was only just 4 years old on arrival, it had done 18,500 miles - and had never been serviced :eek: - needed 2 opening rockers -costing trade at £79 ea (retail just under £100 :eek: ) shims also had to be done - and valve clearances :( been happily used as a track & race bike this year :)

C

Shauns4
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
For my other halfs M1000, £60 for the pair inc VAT from Woods.

Easy to fit, I tension them untill they 'feel' correct to me, not the best method unless have little experience!

NattyBoy
05-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Stef

I paid about £30 for a set a few weeks back from Moto Rapido in Winchester - 01962 877996. You could try www.ducatisparesonline.co.uk as well

As for changing them, it's not too difficult, takes me about 30 mins if I put my mind to it. Just be careful when lining up all the timing marks on the cams etc and make sure the tensioners are set right. www.ducatisuite.com has a decent article on how to change them. Haynes manual also not bad.

Ped

30 minutes..? thats about 4 hours less than fitting your alternator (the right way round) back on yer ol nail then ??... :lol:

Nat

stef
06-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Two thumbs for Ducati Leeds.
got my belts for 30odd squids.
so far, never been let down by those nice people accross the street.