PDA

View Full Version : Customers! What are they then?

psychlist
04-09-2005, 08:59 PM
When you spend somewhere in the region of 8 thousand pounds on something like a new car would you go to a small family run franchised dealership where you'd normally have every right to expect friendly service from a place that took their time over getting to know you and your needs, giving you good service, even though it cost a few quid extra, or would you take your chances with a big chain of garages with teenage salespeople completely devoid of product knowledge, where nobody remembers your name and you're just another faceless number in their computerised records of people buying their cheap goods?

Are the days of "Customer Service" dead and buried, or do you know somewhere that stands by the maxim "The CUSTOMER is always right"?

Pugi
04-09-2005, 09:35 PM
If the price isn't scary, smaller is usually better. I find it invaluable to have someone 'going to check behind the door' and coming out with exactly what I need even if I descibed it in the poorest of ways. That combined with a friendly smile and a sense of being looked after would definitly justify a slightly higher price to me.

Scotty
04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
i think i have to go with the big chain there i think its cos im in there so frequently that im recognised

steviej
05-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Number One and Number Four for me...................... ;)

Melnie Mouse
05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
When you spend somewhere in the region of 8 thousand pounds on something like a new car would you go to a small family run franchised dealership where you'd normally have every right to expect friendly service from a place that took their time over getting to know you and your needs, giving you good service, even though it cost a few quid extra, or would you take your chances with a big chain of garages with teenage salespeople completely devoid of product knowledge, where nobody remembers your name and you're just another faceless number in their computerised records of people buying their cheap goods?

Are the days of "Customer Service" dead and buried, or do you know somewhere that stands by the maxim "The CUSTOMER is always right"?

smaller ones sometimes pay off, cos you get a coffee, and perhaps bar risers in your time of need!

CK & AK
05-09-2005, 09:49 AM
each time I've brought, the price difference has been very negligable between big & small dealer.
The service costs tho have been greatly differing with local small dealer coming up trumps every time, usually saving me at least up to 30% on large Ducait own outlets, after obtaining quotes.
No probs in obtaining spares or DP parts either - and they know WHO I am :) and often no trouble for them even with the smallest of probs/quibbles etc.
Good discounts too, cos am regular customer.

If bike ever has had a problem, they are also good enough to 'squeeze' it in, among jobs, rather than making me wait like 'non regulars' have to.

Obviously not everyone is lucky to have a good dealer within an hours ride of them tho.

C, a supporter of W M Snell :cool: - and AK one of their largest parts buyers :lol:

psychlist
05-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Quite a few of you following my own preference for a business that takes the time to get to know you and treats you as if you're worthy of their attention rather than someone to forget as soon as you drive out the showroom. I dont begrudge spending a couple of quid more to get the personal touch and to be made welcome.

I was a little surprised to get one personal message "complaining" about my poll!?! :p

MrsJel
05-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Number 1 & 4 for me too, generally.

There doesn't seem to be a hard & fast rule about this customer business. One shop couldn't wait to get money for new bike, but mechanics were bl**dy brilliant. When I got the next bike, took it there for service. Met up with one of the mechanics - he's at JHP Coventry now so really happy to take it there (until the bill comes of course).

Best place for me at the moment - Windy Corner. What stars they are! Sadly, they only sell Triumphs or some orange off-road type machines (Julie - you have been spotted over there!)

JMo
05-09-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm note sure it matters how big or small they are, rather who it is behind the counter...

I bought a new car recently (a Skoda dontcha know!) and the dealer I chose was both polite and efficient, didn't condescend me as a silly woman or a tyre kicker, was able to offer a great price (I had to squeeze them a little, but they were prepared to go there) and yet is still part of a bigger franchise dealership network - yet you feel you are valued, even if you bought the cheaper end of the range... conversely, a dealer with the same francise a similar distance away from my address in the other direction seemed distinctly uninterested in my potential purchase...

As for the bike - I originally bought my Monster from a big multi-franchise dealer, and while there service department is nothing to write home about, the staff there (particuarly the parts counter) are top notch, and as a regular customer I've built a rappore with them and get a discount on stuff, enough to make the 50 mile round trip worthwhile even for the odd Honda part too... However, the Ducati servicing has been done by respected outfits such as Protwins and Moto Rapido - who may not be cheap, but are good...

And finally my local bikeshop, while not being the cheapest, have always got me out of a spot (tyre fitting at 4.50pm on a Friday, and overnight parts at no extra charge) - and I like to use them when I can as you need to support people like that...

I think the overriding thing is the people you deal with, not necessarly the business itself... and with all the above I've got the impression they are genuinely nice people, rather than simply having been on a customer service course - that's why they get my money x

xxx

PS. Psychlist - when you gonna tell everyone what you traded the 998 for then eh? xxx

A Yerbury
05-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Being polite yet firm is the trick, calling mechanic types "mate" and talking about birds is another winner. Halfords is good for the occasional 5 finger discount but I wouldn't trust a large gaff for anything other than blanket info.
Alex.
ps.My mechanic is a Brummie who looks exactly like Ned Flanders from the simpsons, this is reason enough to take my business there.

SazzaG
05-09-2005, 10:35 PM
As long as they don't give me the "she's a bird, she doesn't know about cars" attitude, then I'm not bothered too much.

My recent experiences with large car dealers have been mixed. I had Peugeots for a few years, and quite frankly the dealer service was bloody rubbish. Someone nearly wrote off my car a few days before its service, so I phoned and told them, then on the day of the service they told me off for not bringing it in - er, it's only got 3 wheels at the moment...

Now I have a Merc, and the customer service is excellent - mind you, that is one of their selling points. For its last service, they didn't have a spare car, so they came and picked it up, then brought it back really quickly. I hardly noticed it was gone - as opposed to the "it's ready" phone call from Peugeot, going to the garage, then finding they're still working on it an hour later...

As for the bike - I bought it from DLS - nuff said. Now go to Alf's in Worthing - reasably prices and great service.

Saz

Julie
06-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Best place for me at the moment - Windy Corner. What stars they are! Sadly, they only sell Triumphs or some orange off-road type machines (Julie - you have been spotted over there!)

Sadly they no longer do the orange stuff. Pam is great in the shop - so happy to see people. I use Redline in loughborough - Run by a guy called Tim who remembers my name - he even knows my voice on the phone and says 'Hi julie' when i call before i even say who i am. Well it impressed me! They don't charge a huge amount and will do me deals. I'm very happy with my KTM dealer.
Ducati is a small run thing as well. Run by Phil Italia Moto. They have been great tho i havent had much dealing with them this year. My bike is in for service next month. They have been great over warrenty clames and never questioned anything. They don't treat me like a silly girl just like a customer. I'm very happy - again they remember my name. Its just a 100 mile round trip unlike my KTM dealer which is a mighty 5 mile round trip.

So i feel happy that i have two dealers i can trust.

''Daytona 650 or keep the monster?'' .............. have both!

Pugi
06-09-2005, 01:15 PM
My mechanic is a Brummie who looks exactly like Ned Flanders from the simpsons, this is reason enough to take my business there.

It certainly would be! Hope he doesn't have the same way of speaking though...

A Yerbury
06-09-2005, 04:58 PM
no he's proper "kipper tie" Brum, A and s motorcyles in Malvern, lovely chap, not scared of dukes either.

MrsJel
06-09-2005, 06:00 PM
''Daytona 650 or keep the monster?'' .............. have both!
I'm working on that one at the moment.

PS: Amanda 6 motorcycles - got any tips how to get it past the finance committee (I've already suggested he could ride it occasionally)?
PPS: Saw test rider taking the new Daytona 680 triple from Triumph factory today.

Mand
06-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm working on that one at the moment.

PS: Amanda 6 motorcycles - got any tips how to get it past the finance committee (I've already suggested he could ride it occasionally)?
PPS: Saw test rider taking the new Daytona 680 triple from Triumph factory today.

I got two jobs, I'm allowed anything I damn well like!!! ;)