PDA

View Full Version : Monster 900 ie troubles

blueguzzi
04-09-2005, 04:09 PM
:( Ok so i was bimbling a long when suddenly cough splutter it starts running rough and now will not tick over when coming to a halt, it needs more throttle just to keep it running.
I have changed the fuel filter and fitted new plugs, i noticed the old plugs were black as in running rich?
It still will not run correctly.
I have checked that the throttle butterfly valves open and close ok and seem good with the choke as well.
Hmmm any clues?
I reckon there is a sensor somewhere thats giving incorrect readings?
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
ta
Hugh :mad:

tommo
04-09-2005, 04:37 PM
sounds like it could be something like a blocked or miss firing injector but not sure, i had the same type of problem on my 600 but mine has carb's and the poor running was down to a faulty plug lead.

fatbloke
04-09-2005, 05:04 PM
sounds a lot like a problem gary had, it was found to be the sensor
mounted on top of the front cylinder (marked 32 on pic)
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/images/M900front.jpg
if its any help the part No is 552.4.013.1A.

Starter Sprag
04-09-2005, 05:23 PM
:( Ok so i was bimbling a long when suddenly cough splutter it starts running rough and now will not tick over when coming to a halt, it needs more throttle just to keep it running.
I have changed the fuel filter and fitted new plugs, i noticed the old plugs were black as in running rich?
It still will not run correctly.
I have checked that the throttle butterfly valves open and close ok and seem good with the choke as well.
Hmmm any clues?
I reckon there is a sensor somewhere thats giving incorrect readings?
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
ta
Hugh :mad:

Check your air filter is ok

The sensor gets full of water and corrodes the two pins, give them a good clean with a tooth brush and wd-40, dry off and liberally grease up, couple up connection and wipe off excess grease

slob
04-09-2005, 06:09 PM
sounds a lot like a problem gary had, it was found to be the sensor
mounted on top of the front cylinder (marked 32 on pic)
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/images/M900front.jpg
if its any help the part No is 552.4.013.1A.

And Benson.

fatbloke
04-09-2005, 06:14 PM
and all 3 bikes are the same year I think I can see a pattern forming

gary tompkins
04-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Yep - seems common to 2001-2001 900ie's. Woody (DWR) said he's heard of other temp. sensors packing up, but most result in ECU providing no fuel at all so the bike won't start. Mine was telling the ECU the engine was colder than it was and making it run really rich. It was a sod to start and wouldn't tick over at all.

blueguzzi
04-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Yep - seems common to 2001-2001 900ie's. Woody (DWR) said he's heard of other temp. sensors packing up, but most result in ECU providing no fuel at all so the bike won't start. Mine was telling the ECU the engine was colder than it was and making it run really rich. It was a sod to start and wouldn't tick over at all.

Ah Yes Mr Gary T thats just what is happenning! So ecu is getting dodgy messages from a confused temp sensor.
Many Thanks everyone for the advice.
According to the Ducati Spares description this part is a
'water temperature sensor' that must be why its confused as it has'nt rained for a while and has no water to operate in!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

cheers all
Hugh

gary tompkins
04-09-2005, 10:57 PM
It would be a water temperature sensor on S4's, but just a temperature sensor on aircooled bikes like the 620/900ie.

See if you can borrow one of another injected bike (either 900 or 1000ie) and swap them over, as this is what Dave did on mine - borrowed Fatblokes sensor from his 1000ie. If the bike runs ok you've sussed it and need to buy a replacement - about £50.

BTW Dave test metered both mine & FB's sensors and got the same reading from both?? But my engine would only run right using a replacement switch so the original was deffo knackered - did about 18,000 miles.

The Kevlar Kid
20-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Just had this trouble on mine... guess what - it's a 2001 model year 900ie :scratch:

As Gary says, most places want about £50 for this, but there are some cheaper alternatives (that also carry it in stock) e.g. Demon Tweeks do one for about £33.

I got mine (a genuine Webber / Marelli part) from 'Southern Carburetters and Injection' for £29.24 inc vat and very fast recorded delivery. This was the cheapest I could find for a quality / OE replacement. :woot:

Rockhopper
20-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Get it hooked to a mathesis tester at your local ducati service persons place and they will tell you exactly whats wong. Saves the hassle of swapping bits that may not be faulty in the first place.

The Kevlar Kid
20-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Looks like this is a particular problem with this year of bike...

Symptoms are exactly as Gary describes - so it was a bit of a no brainer to give it go.

£30 for a new sensor is probably cheaper than Ducati will charge for just testing the system.

squiffything
21-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Problem sounds very much like the one I have at the mo black spark plugs when changed, hard to keep running on tickover and sounds as rough as a butchers dog. Still pulls well when revved but terrible at slow speeds/low revs.

BG let me know how it goes.

The Kevlar Kid
21-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Squiffything - BlueGuzzi had this problem ages ago - this is an old thread. Sounds like you have the same prob though.

squiffything
22-06-2007, 07:12 AM
:) I didn't notice the date of the original thread you blended your reply in so well.

It's due in for a service and MOT next week so I may let the Mechanic have a look then again it might be worth ordering the bit from S C & I and have the replacement done while they do the service. Do you have the part number or description that I can quote when ordering? Also would it be the same bit for a 620ie I note yours is a 900

The Kevlar Kid
22-06-2007, 10:42 PM
You'll need to check the old part, but I think it would be the same.

There will be various numbers stamped on each side of the hexagonal part, one should be the Marelli part number which will be WTS09 (WTS= water temp sensor, 09 as a ref - 05 and 09 are their two most common sensors) if it's stamped WTS09 then tell SC&I that and they'll send you the correct part (part #WTS185). :mand:

benson
23-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Exactly what happened to my bike at about 12k miles - sorted by Rosso Corse and has been much happier ever since...