PDA

View Full Version : Front break light not working - help needed

Julie
31-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Its for Ruths M600 1994 the MOT is due and i have been trying to get the front break light to work this evening. I checked all the regular things and pulled all the connectors apart and did the wet and dry thing. Then undid the two tiny screws on the front break and checked all connections traced the wire's to the break light its self and all was fine - Then sprayed the area with WD40 and now not only is the front break light NOT working but the rear break light has stuck on! Only the light is stuck on the breaks are fine.

So has anyone got any bright (bad pun) ideas what might be the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Julie

Scotty
31-08-2005, 08:06 PM
too much wd40 let it dry out a bit and try again
didn't someone just replace the microswitch recently ?

Paranoid Dave
31-08-2005, 08:07 PM
can't really help but if the rear light has stuck on just from playing with the electrics to the front brake then surely its in the wires and electrics rather than connectors and grit in the system. I know a lot of the parts between old and new monsters are the same, have you tried swapping any between bikes and see if the problem goes away, if so you know which bits gone wrong?

Sorry can't be more help.

A Yerbury
31-08-2005, 08:09 PM
try the connectors to the bulb they can get grubby? take the bulb out and bend the contacts in, Ducati's vibrate a bit....
AY.x

fatbloke
31-08-2005, 08:10 PM
the brake light will stay on if the front brake light switch
is not in place or not fitted properly.
Have you put it back yet?

grunter
31-08-2005, 08:11 PM
is the bulb in the right way around ? if you have over done it with the wd stuff you may have made a perminant live if not you got a bare wire touching the frame? bringing the light on? (short) the sensor in the brake lever can be clean but you have to put it back right or it will play up also check the adjustment on your lever to make sure thats not wound in to far?
if not i dont know :D
hope this a help
grunt x

A Yerbury
31-08-2005, 08:13 PM
yes wipe the wd off as it will do what Grunty said, happened to me then a lightbulb appeared.

Fred
31-08-2005, 08:24 PM
There's only one brake light and two switches, front and rear. Isolate them and test them individually. If the brake light is stuck on then the wiring and connections are good, sounds like a faulty switch, probably the front.

Fred

rich
31-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey

Have a listen to your later 600's front break lever switch

it has a slight "click" as soon as you move it

Then go to Ruth 's M600

and it won't click Because it's full of WD 40 causing a short

(or it's Had it)

Blast it out with compressed air

Hope this helps

rich

djkus
31-08-2005, 09:50 PM
i had exact same problem with my monster 600, front brake done nothing, the problem turned out to be corrosion on the crimps on the wiring loom a little behind the handle bars.
i cleaned up the connections with some metal polishing stuff to get rid of the corrosion.
put it all back together and perfect.

dlloyduk
31-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Go with Fatblokes reply.
I did the same thing front brake dodgy messed around sorted it, then thought I would check out the rear to be on the safe side-Ah no its knackered to! No it was'nt - :confused: I had not finished putting the front on??

gary tompkins
31-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Last time mine packed up on the 900 it was the micro switch on the front brake lever. Fitted a new one (£16) and it's been fine (touch wood) ever since ;)

Ruth
01-09-2005, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
I may have resort to my secret weapon - ring up Chris the dish, offer him dinner and then suggest a stroll out into the garage and let nature take it's course. Man meets machine, beautiful things can happen.

A Yerbury
01-09-2005, 04:35 PM
I think that touching wood is perhaps a bit rude, not as rude as touching cloth but a bit fruity nonetheless.
Axel Y.
ps.nonetheless is one word isn't it?

Mand
01-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Nonetheless is indeed one word.

However back to thread,

Al says (complete with fag in gob) - "you need a new switch, and I am gutted that you didn't ask me!!!!". ;)

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Julie
01-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Its all sorted now. The little thingy wasn't connecting with the other little thingy.

...........The break lever wasnt connecting with the switch and a simple wiggle sorted it.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Oh and sorry Al - but Chris is in loughborough and popped in at the right time x

Mand
01-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Its all sorted now. The little thingy wasn't connecting with the other little thingy.

...........The break lever wasnt connecting with the switch and a simple wiggle sorted it.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Oh and sorry Al - but Chris is in loughborough and popped in at the right time x

Glad you got it sorted and it wasn't a right "Carry on" (Al was jokin' btw..)

fatbloke
01-09-2005, 07:46 PM
the brake light will stay on if the front brake light switch
is not in place or not fitted properly.
Have you put it back yet?

I've given myself the lucky guess of the day award ;)

Julie
01-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Glad you got it sorted and it wasn't a right "Carry on" (Al was jokin' btw..)
Oh it was a carry on....chris almost broke all my ribs in the process, and just because I told him he looked gay.

Chris had to mess with ruths nipple and lub up before he could screw and then needed to get a rubber thing out before we made contact.........after all that was done we turned her on and all was fine x

Julie
01-09-2005, 07:49 PM
I've given myself the lucky guess of the day award ;)

You were right !! well done STW for you xxx

fatbloke
01-09-2005, 07:50 PM
You were right !! well done STW for you xxx

I'll bring the S if you supply the T

Julie
01-09-2005, 07:52 PM
I'll bring the S if you supply the T

They are ready and waiting for you x

Mand
01-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Oh it was a carry on....chris almost broke all my ribs in the process, and just because I told him he looked gay.

Chris had to mess with ruths nipple and lub up before he could screw and then needed to get a rubber thing out before we made contact.........after all that was done we turned her on and all was fine x

Chris look gay? Has he grown a HUGE bushy moooostache?

Julie
01-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Chris look gay? Has he grown a HUGE bushy moooostache?
Yes! and had leather chaps on with no pants and an Indian head dress - I told him its no way to work on a bike but did he listen!?
Mand you're looking abit ruff in your avatar...

Mand
01-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes! and had leather chaps on with no pants and an Indian head dress - I told him its no way to work on a bike but did he listen!?
Mand you're looking abit ruff in your avatar...

Cheeky sod, ruff indeed! I can't seem to keep my tongue in at the moment, perhaps it is the thought of Chris with no pants on and wearing leather chaps :D

PS I have just had the shock of my life, Al has just come downstairs from his weekly bath and he has shaved his beard off, no more Peter Sutcliffe, he looks like a potato now.

Now back to the thread, glad your brake lights works ahem... :o

bod
01-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Do monsters have a front break light ;)