PDA

View Full Version : 620ie fuel pump/starting problem

paynep
31-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Hello again,
thanks to the forum my 2002 620ie now turns over and has a spark - hooray!
However I don't get any sign of life from the fuel pump and she won't start.
I've had a search through the board and have tried shorting pins 30 & 87 on the two little relays under the tank, I have 12v and an earth on pins 1&2 of the connector to the pump but only a gravity feed of petrol out of the tank.

Have I missed anything obvious like needing the sidestand up or the clutch pulled in within the first 15sec of turning the ignition on, or bleeding or priming the system or is it time to go diving into the tank?

Paul

clockworkorange
31-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I think the sidestand needs to be up. My old 02 bike wouldn't start otherwise.

slob
31-08-2005, 08:59 PM
on mine the sidestand has to be up and the immobiliser kicks in if you haven't fired it up within 30 seconds of turning the ignition on (but I'm guessing that causes a no spark situation).
I guess the fuel pump would have to be working to get up sufficent pressure to the injectors, it then has a return pipe to the tank. If you've had the system apart I guess you'd have to bleed the pressurised fuel sytem of air. I'll have a browse of the bible and let you know.

paynep
31-08-2005, 09:21 PM
.... If you've had the system apart I guess you'd have to bleed the pressurised fuel sytem of air. ....

Ah, I can't recall if I've tried building the fuel system up one pipe at time so you may have something there. On my 888/916s etc it is just plug and play, no bleeding required so I assumed that these new-fangled ones were the same....I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Cheers, Paul

paynep
31-08-2005, 09:23 PM
I think the sidestand needs to be up. My old 02 bike wouldn't start otherwise.

Obviously Nick bypassed the switch....or was it hidden by the gravel when I saw the bike last? :rolleyes:

slob
01-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Checked the manual and there's no mention of bleeding the system.
Just that you use the mathesis tester to check fuel pump/pressure regulator operation. 3 bar is the correct operating pressure.

paynep
01-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks Rob,
I had a look in the tank tonight and the fuel pump is indeed the problem............its not there!!
I'll be back on the phone to the breakers first thing tomorrow, as they have either swapped tanks or robbed it. Ho hum.

Paul

clockworkorange
01-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Obviously Nick bypassed the switch....or was it hidden by the gravel when I saw the bike last? :rolleyes:

Yup, its bridged out now so stand could be removed. The joint was a bit dodgy at first and the bike was coughing on roundabouts :lol: :lol: