PDA

View Full Version : And to get the trackday forum rolling....

marchesini
31-08-2005, 01:09 PM
With donnington next on the list of trackdays, what gearing do you think I should be running ? At Lydden, as it's a tighter circuit, I ran a 41 rear but as Donnington is much larger (just a bit), do you think I should go down to a 38 rear. BTW, this question is just to show off that I have a quick change sprocket carrier on my track bike - not that it'll be quick change when I've got my hamfisted mitts on it - after losing a few of the bolts and not tightening them up enough.

Also, on a slightly more serious note. This recently acquired 748 track bike has some Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas on which will need replacing soon (maybe before Donnington, if I get my arse in gear). With it being a track bike, should I be a real show-off and get some slicks on it or are the regular Pirelli Diablo Corsa's (or supercorsa's) better for an average rider? What happens to slicks when it rains slightly - do you just slip off or are they still reasonably grippy?

I also have a plan to keep up with Natty, ha, ha, ha (in my best evil, Dastardly and Muttley laugh).

Laters all (the big cheese has just walked in)

simon

fatbloke
31-08-2005, 03:19 PM
With donnington next on the list of trackdays, what gearing do you think I should be running ? At Lydden, as it's a tighter circuit, I ran a 41 rear but as Donnington is much larger (just a bit), do you think I should go down to a 38 rear. BTW, this question is just to show off that I have a quick change sprocket carrier on my track bike - not that it'll be quick change when I've got my hamfisted mitts on it - after losing a few of the bolts and not tightening them up enough.

Also, on a slightly more serious note. This recently acquired 748 track bike has some Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas on which will need replacing soon (maybe before Donnington, if I get my arse in gear). With it being a track bike, should I be a real show-off and get some slicks on it or are the regular Pirelli Diablo Corsa's (or supercorsa's) better for an average rider? What happens to slicks when it rains slightly - do you just slip off or are they still reasonably grippy?

I also have a plan to keep up with Natty, ha, ha, ha (in my best evil, Dastardly and Muttley laugh).

simon

why not start with keeping it on the tarmac :D :D

marchesini
31-08-2005, 03:29 PM
why not start with keeping it on the tarmac :D :D

oh, and what would you know about that? You only have hearsay and (suspect) eye witness accounts. I have photographic evidence ...

claicerrig
31-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Bleeden .....................................Hell :eek:

Terry we got a 5 acre Field that needs ploughing if your free soon :D

fatbloke
31-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Bleeden .....................................Hell :eek:

Terry we got a 5 acre Field that needs ploughing if your free soon :D

Bugger Bugger Bugger!!!!!

Phoenix
31-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Do you have tyre warmers and a generator Marchesini? Cos you'll need them for slicks - Oh and yes they slip and trust me Donington is the slippiest track there is in the wet!

Scotty
01-09-2005, 01:42 PM
hummm im in the slow group for donnington having never been there

Phoenix
01-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Fantastic track - you'll love it :D

marchesini
01-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Do you have tyre warmers and a generator Marchesini? Cos you'll need them for slicks !

Tyre warmers yes but no genny. When I was up there a few weeks back, they had plug extensions and all had tyre warmers on. I guess it'll be down to whether we can nick a garage or not. Might invest in a genny at some point though.

Not having had any first hand experience on slicks, would a good race tyre feel any different? I'm also looking at costs - if I use Diablo supercorsas (or whatever they are called nowadays), then 4 good trackdays and they'll need replacing. Get's pretty expensive then - I guess I can then put them all on my road bike afterwards and look like the track day god that I'm not.

Oh and yes they slip and trust me Donington is the slippiest track there is in the wet!

More slippery than Rockingham? Last DSC trackday there was about 15 offs IIRC. I had more brown trouser moments in one rain-hit session than in a whole year of all weather road riding - not for me. I also have some wets for the trackbike which came as part of the package but have never used them either. Anybody ridden on wets before? I guess it must be a real head-feck, all that rain and still being fully committed to a corner?

Laters

simon

marchesini
01-09-2005, 02:09 PM
hummm im in the slow group for donnington having never been there

None of us had been to Lydden before yet most of us went in the inters - Craigie on his 620 came along aswell and had a great time. I reckon that if you've done a trackday before, you'll be fine in the inters. You'll also get the added bonus of seeing fatbloke doing a bit of gravel collecting or me giving the grass a bit of a trim with my fairings. :lol:

Laters

simon

Phoenix
01-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Tyre warmers yes but no genny. When I was up there a few weeks back, they had plug extensions and all had tyre warmers on. I guess it'll be down to whether we can nick a garage or not. Might invest in a genny at some point though.

Not having had any first hand experience on slicks, would a good race tyre feel any different? I'm also looking at costs - if I use Diablo supercorsas (or whatever they are called nowadays), then 4 good trackdays and they'll need replacing. Get's pretty expensive then - I guess I can then put them all on my road bike afterwards and look like the track day god that I'm not.

More slippery than Rockingham? Last DSC trackday there was about 15 offs IIRC. I had more brown trouser moments in one rain-hit session than in a whole year of all weather road riding - not for me. I also have some wets for the trackbike which came as part of the package but have never used them either. Anybody ridden on wets before? I guess it must be a real head-feck, all that rain and still being fully committed to a corner?

Laters

simon

Yes it's more slippery than Rockingham so if it's raining be very careful.

Wets are ok but take around 15 -20 seconds off your laptimes and you can only use them when it's wet (not damp)otherwise they will be fecked in half a session.

I would suggest an intermediate tyre more than slicks. You won't get much more than a couple of days out of them anyway.

The little portable 800/900 kw genny's won't run 2 tyre warmers so you'l need a bigger one for that and not all tracks have garages or hook up for you to plug into.

Tyres - let me think a bit more. Racetecs or Diablo corses very good inters but there is another one i just need to check which one it is. Getting good reports about it. To be honest a set of standard road diablos is all we're using and unless you want to get pretty serious about it then they'll do fine and you'll get quite a few trackdays out of them.

Can't help with gearing unless you want a spreadsheet to work it out yourself cos your bike is different to mine. I ran 14-44 racing at Donny 2 weeks ago but it was monsoon conditions and ordinarily that gearing would have been wrong.:eek:

You'll all love Donny, fantastic corners and variety. Think it's my fave :)

Phoenix
01-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Scotty - you should go in Inters. Donny is fast but you'll get right fed up in the novices I think and it's failry easy to learn.

tip - keep the power on from hollywood and down craner curves - awesome feeling another tip - don't back off too early for the hairpin, it's deceptive and you've plenty of time to slow for it. Oh and don't go in too early or hot at Redgate - it will bite you back :D

One last tip - Coppice is blind entry. You have to turn blind on the crest but there's loads of run off to let bike run wide. Lovely corner :twisted:

claicerrig
01-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Well thats me and my brother booked into the INTERS :D

Come on Scotty you can always move down if you dont feel right :)

Scotty
01-09-2005, 06:33 PM
well see when i get there, having had two months off il bet ive forgotten how to ride ;)

Mand
01-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Al's booked in on his H*nda and I'll be there with the camera so I expect loads of action and smiles please! :)

Phoenix
03-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Al's booked in on his H*nda and I'll be there with the camera so I expect loads of action and smiles please! :)

O -Oh ! :D

NattyBoy
13-09-2005, 03:48 PM

simon

Ill be running slicks and have a Louigis big genny if the weathers good so you could share if you can get some warmers mate (if the weathers looking 50/50 then rich will just fit some fast road tyres to the bike)

Mate Neal (998s) has just booked up to..so thats one more !!

Get yourself some Diabolo corsa Simon...stonking tyres and you wont need to arse about getting a set of wets if it pi55es down. Thats what ill be fitting to the newly aqquired 748 if I decide to use it as a track bike (but only coz I won a pair at the P&H open day :D )

Cheers
Nat

Runningman
14-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Blimey, I've just read this thread, now I'm really worried.

The only gear I'm thinking about is what to wear on the day, and my technical changes amounts to creating a new playlist for my iPod.

It's only a fun day out..is'nt it?

Scotty
14-09-2005, 01:29 PM
and i suddenly feel 'safer' in the slow group ;)

Ade
14-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Does anyone have a link page or phone number for Donnington,
I should have my new exhausts done tomorrow so no more grinding the granny out my old crumple cans.
By the way 1 pair of crumple cans are up for sale, 20,000 miles 1 dirty owner.

Phoenix
14-09-2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/

Or 01332 810 048

slob
14-09-2005, 05:07 PM
or No Limits
01727 899173 (discounted to £125 if you mention UKMOC)
I just booked in the inters
so the list now looks like:

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman
Nattyboy
Spike (definate maybe]
martin b (just trying to get day off )
Clai`s Brother (On his Mutistrada )
Slob

...and don't worry too much Runningman, I'll be there wringing the neck of my mostly standard 620.

ps. Apparently they're knocking the paddock down at Donny, starting on 03/10!

Runningman
14-09-2005, 05:13 PM
...and don't worry too much Runningman, I'll be there wringing the neck of my mostly standard 620.

Glad to see your coming along Rob...I'll try to do better this time.
See you there.
m

Ade
14-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Just about to book up for inters. matey boy had his hands full, I didnt like to pry. Ive to phone back in 5

When I was there with lin, they were pretty tough on silencing, as in 96db,s or getting stuck(stitched) for slide ins for £25.00 a hit to meet there noise limits, this could be another £50 (or 21 pints of guiness).
Is it a no limits?

Phoenix
14-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Its a full noise day - you'll be fine :)

Ade
14-09-2005, 05:44 PM
False alarm, just spoken to matey boy and he said full noise, GP Track.
where,s me coat

NattyBoy
14-09-2005, 08:28 PM
List edited..

or No Limits
01727 899173 (discounted to £125 if you mention UKMOC)
I just booked in the inters
so the list now looks like:

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman
Nattyboy
Spike (definate maybe]
martin b (just trying to get day off )
Clai`s Brother (On his Mutistrada )
Slob
Neal 998s (nats mate)

ps. Apparently they're knocking the paddock down at Donny, starting on 03/10!

NattyBoy
14-09-2005, 08:35 PM

simon

Ive countered you dastardly plan Simon..Im going to dazzle you to death... :lol:

http://ee.domaindlx.com/nattyboy/748RS%20Racer.jpg

bigredduke
16-09-2005, 08:37 PM
What date is the Donington track day?

Scotty
16-09-2005, 10:16 PM
4orth oct which if your thinking about may be a bit late for the super moc discount blaged by the king of blagers Mr Fatbloke
see how ia have escaped the 'list' i recon its cos im in the slow group (not worth counting)

err i'm proberly taking rubbish, don't delay book today , or maybe tomorrow when there in like :bunny:

slob
17-09-2005, 05:59 AM
nah, the list is good we're just adding to the original ten not asking for more discount:
Ring, Ring... Donny... Terry... Monster club... £125... job done!

Thanks Terry you're a star for sharing the blag.

NattyBoy
29-09-2005, 08:54 PM
We excited then..?? :D

slob
29-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Watching the weather forcasts.
Is anyone staying nearby the night before?

Phoenix
29-09-2005, 09:43 PM
We excited then..?? :D

I know someone who is ;)

Phoenix
29-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Watching the weather forcasts.
Is anyone staying nearby the night before?
You wanna stay here at mine ? :)

claicerrig
29-09-2005, 11:26 PM
God i`m gonna so look like a newbe trailer tart :o :o

Two bike on a trailer is cheaper than 4 tanks of fuel plus the track fuel

New lid leathers and spareshack bling :D

I cant wait.............................................. .. :burnout:

NattyBoy
30-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Just checked the weather forecast..looking very good..warmest day of the week..18 degrees and sunny with occasional cloud..

Looks like its slicks after all then... :D :D

Lynn..remind me..are you coming mate..?

Nat

Scotty
30-09-2005, 12:16 PM
almost sleepless excited now like ,

uh was ment to be booking somewhere to stay the night before but still havent got round to it

Phoenix
30-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Lynn..remind me..are you coming mate..?

Nat

I am - but not decided if to bring Max seeing as i'm racing at Cadders next week and should be doing the test day really.:eek:

Ooooo daddy or chips :confused:

MrsJel
30-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Have fun chaps - did Donington with Hottrax on Tuesday this week - first time I've done a proper trackday (members of Donington Park RAC don't ya know so get to go round the circuit a few times on members day - next time is 17Oct - YIPPEE).

Might have to call in to see how you getting on on the way back from Crewe to Coventry (well its kind of on the way isn't it?)

marchesini
02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Sorry guys n gals,

not gonna be at Donny. So hectic is my life at the moment, that I can't even manage to get a couple of days off even though it had been booked months in advance. Was really looking forward to it but circumstances have turned against me so no playtime for me - too much work and a small operation for my eldest son has come through on the same day. Shame as I was really looking forward to showing you all how it should be done (falling off in style, that is). Never mind though, Terry will still be there to show you how to do it just in case you need any pointers. Have a groovy time all and hope it stays sunny for you all.

Peed off from Pembridge

Scotty
02-10-2005, 09:52 PM
:(
hope things turn around for you soon

Chris
03-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Just booked myself into the inters for tomorrow. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow! Stef's coming along on his Mille too.

Talking tyres, I'll be using the same ones I had on and cooked at Mallory! No time or money to change them! I'm sure they'll be fine.

Wishing for sunshine!

Mand
03-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Just booked myself into the inters for tomorrow. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow! Stef's coming along on his Mille too.

Talking tyres, I'll be using the same ones I had on and cooked at Mallory! No time or money to change them! I'm sure they'll be fine.

Wishing for sunshine!

Well don't worry Chris, I will be ready to take a piccie of you doing yer doughnuts! he he he

A Yerbury
03-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Sorry guys n gals,

not gonna be at Donny. So hectic is my life at the moment, that I can't even manage to get a couple of days off even though it had been booked months in advance. Was really looking forward to it but circumstances have turned against me so no playtime for me - too much work and a small operation for my eldest son has come through on the same day. Shame as I was really looking forward to showing you all how it should be done (falling off in style, that is). Never mind though, Terry will still be there to show you how to do it just in case you need any pointers. Have a groovy time all and hope it stays sunny for you all.

Peed off from Pembridge

good luck to Simon Jnr.
Alex.

NattyBoy
03-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Simon..sorry you wont be there tommorrow..hope ickle marchesini is OK..

Nat