PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question if I may ?

Phoenix
22-08-2005, 07:43 PM
I've run out of hardrive space and need an alternative. I have 2 drives already but both contain lots of photos and music and i'd like to be able to transfer all of them to another drive this leaving the pc with more space and ram to deal with the normal stuff I do.
I was thinking of an external drive of some description that will plug into my pc via USB or something ?
Any suggestions please that doesn't involve me taking the pc to a shop ?

Ta :)

fatbloke
22-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi Lin
I've got one of these Lacie Hard Drive (http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/storage/productView.htm?quicklinx=31PL) doddle
to use and 250 gig for £98

Drucilla
22-08-2005, 07:54 PM
You can buy external hard drives of various sizes , i have a 250 gb one and it just plugs in via USB. They should just plug and play and you should not need tp take your PC anywhere. Look at the link for ideas. There are lots of makes around.

http://www.iomega-europe.com/eu/en/products/hdd/hdd_family_en.aspx

Plum
22-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Qtec do a nice case and all you do is slip a hard drive in and plug in the USB. If you have Widoze 2000/XP it detects straight away. If you have another flavour of Windoze then you will have to load the drivers, but that is easy. I have one of these and its fantastic.

Let me know if you want more info

MikeG
23-08-2005, 06:56 AM
The lacie external drive is excellent IMO, and of course being USB you can buy a hub and piggy back many of them yo get enough storage for anything! I used one at work on the PC and then have ahem "borrowed" it and use it on the Mac at home.

Gadget
23-08-2005, 07:00 AM
A cheaper way may be to buy a DVD writer. A good NEC or Pioneer can be picked up for about £30.00 ish. Media is also inexpensive now. You can then also do backups of everything, just in case ;)

Make movies, distribute your favourite piccies etc.

I have Terrabytes of stuff all on CD and now on DVD it is a worthwhille investment.

G

Phoenix
23-08-2005, 02:23 PM
A cheaper way may be to buy a DVD writer. A good NEC or Pioneer can be picked up for about £30.00 ish. Media is also inexpensive now. You can then also do backups of everything, just in case ;)

Make movies, distribute your favourite piccies etc.

I have Terrabytes of stuff all on CD and now on DVD it is a worthwhille investment.

G

Already have a writer for backups but i use the photos and music a lot so hence why I wanted another drive in the list to store the info but good info thanks.
Thanks guys - i'll look into the external drive links you've sent. :)

mad_turnips
23-08-2005, 03:21 PM
novatech.com always got good low prices get V.A.T off as well ( aimed at Plum) so even better

spacemonkey
23-08-2005, 09:43 PM
If all else fails and you know someone who can open up the case, then Maplins do a SATA adapter for a PCI port. This controls two SATA drives, and thus you can have two IDE drives as normal plus two extra SATA drives as well, which can run RAID if you so wish. The adapter is about £20 and comes with all cables etc. Of course, if your motherboard is already SATA and your current hard drives are thus SATA, then I tihkn you might be able to simply plug more in series?

However, if you have no idea what the heck I'm warbling on about, then ignore the silly monkey and get a USB external.

Phoenix
23-08-2005, 10:25 PM
If all else fails and you know someone who can open up the case, then Maplins do a SATA adapter for a PCI port. This controls two SATA drives, and thus you can have two IDE drives as normal plus two extra SATA drives as well, which can run RAID if you so wish. The adapter is about £20 and comes with all cables etc. Of course, if your motherboard is already SATA and your current hard drives are thus SATA, then I tihkn you might be able to simply plug more in series?

However, if you have no idea what the heck I'm warbling on about, then ignore the silly monkey and get a USB external.

:confused:

Does that answer yer question ? :D