PDA

View Full Version : Is me fuel light bust?

Blue Beastie
22-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Got a 96 M600, done 182 miles and fuel light isn't on yet!! This is the first time I have just kept going and not chickened out at 150 miles. Do you think the light is fooked? :confused:

MotoNik
22-08-2005, 04:04 PM
More than likely - mine was broken on my '95 M600! Bloody thing was forever catching me out. Once I managed to run out of petrol twice in one day, and at the time I lived at the top of a really steep hill! Nearly had a hearty pushing the damn thing home!

Unfortunately I'm not electrically minded enough to tell you how you can fix it, but the easiest course of action is to make sure the bulb is ok (three nuts on the back of the instrument cluster to undo to get to the bulbs), and failing that it's probably a faulty sender.

Unless of course you've just been riding in an incredibly saintly manner, and you really do still have petrol left! Still waiting to see if it works on Emily's bike...

cheers,

Nik

JMo
22-08-2005, 04:13 PM
I got 176 miles out of my 620 once (the light was well and truely on by then I might add) before I bottled out and filled up... got 13.7 litres in it, so there was about a coke can full of petrol left in the tank... phew!

xxx

MilesB
22-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Do you think the light is fooked? :confused:
Absolutely.

Mine didn't work from the day I got it till my 6000 mile service, when I got it replaced (none in stock at the 600 mile service).

Of course, I was deliberately trying to find out how far I could go before the fuel light came on... ran out at 159 miles (M900ie) :o

Suggest you check the bulb before you change the sensor though :rolleyes:

Miles

Scotty
22-08-2005, 08:32 PM
share shack had one of them sensor units 'on sale' recently (i think)

Fred
22-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Lift up the tank and you will see the fuel sensor, follow the wire and unplug from the connector. With a piece of wire short out the connector, wiring loom side, and the fuel light in the dash should light, showing the bulb is ok.

Fred

Blue Beastie
23-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Cheers folks.