PDA

View Full Version : Lydden Trackday - Muppets and monsters

marchesini
21-08-2005, 01:56 PM
A good turnout at Lydden this Saturday: Terry (Fatbloke), Craigie, Stuart (Devstars on his KTM supe), Slob, Nattyboy, Iain (Natty's mate on a 998s) and a couple of other waifs and strays, I picked up en-route. There were a couple of other Monsters there aswell (apologies if I've not mentioned you as I am not too good with names) and as an added bonus, Muttley turned up with half of News International's camera equipment to take some cracking photos.

The day started out damp and overcast but hopeful for Mr. Sunshine to pay us a visit later on. The first sessions were pretty nervous affairs - damp patches, small slides and early morning cobwebs hindering the progress.

By mid-morning though, everyone was having a good time and the inters group saw some nice little battles. Myself and Terry played a bit of cat and mouse for most sessions - me taking him on the left hander and him retaking me up the hill because I was in the wrong gear - all good clean fun.

Craigie woke me up out of my slumber, passing me downhill on the straight - woah, did the red mist descend then. He's come on great now - the limiting factor now being his ground clearance on his exhausts rather than him. Craigie, save up for the high levels and rearsets and show us how it should be done.

Stuart seemed to be having a good time on his ktm and Natty was Doctor Smooth as usual. Deceptively fast in fact - doesn't look like he's really pushing it but even trying to keep up is hard work - DesmoDue material I reckon Natty. Very tidy, safe and rapid.

My newly acquired 748 worked beautifully although it took a couple of sessions to 'get it'. I am used to the low-down grunt of the 996 and 916 engines so was expecting similar torque from the 748. Once I got used to working the gearbox a lot more, it worked brilliantly.

Muppet award goes to me after I came off near the end of the session. A momentary lapse of concentration as someone undertook me meant I tried to stop instead of making the corner. Hauled on the brakes and was stooping fine but as soon as the bike touched the grass, game over. Just lowsided it and a trip back to the pits in the Muppet-mobile. I'll leave Terry to tell you about his mini-Muppet award but he was much more fortunate than me and got away (relatively) scott-free. Muttley has some pics which tell more than words can say (and they are much funnier aswell).

All in all, a cracking day. Weather smiled on us for most of the day, some really good riding and really nice to share the craic with a load of like-minded funsters. Roll on Brands/Donnington/Cadwell/Jerez (delete where appropriate). As Slob says, must make an effort to do this more often.

See you all soon

simon

slob
21-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry no great action shots but I hope this will keep you amused 'til Mutters logs on.
If you look really closely you can see my bike, Thuli, Terry's van and MilesB's bike.

fatbloke
21-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I'll leave Terry to tell you about his mini-Muppet award but he was much more fortunate than me and got away (relatively) scott-free. Muttley has some pics which tell more than words can say (and they are much funnier aswell)
simon

It was a bloody brill day and we where really lucky with the weather.
Thanks to Muttley, Gully, Miles who came along to spectate.
and that rad on nattys S4r looks bigger every time I see it!!!!

My mini muppet moment was running out of gears and talent at the same
time this resulted in running off the track and into a gravel trap.
It was only my amazing skill that kept the bike upright :confused:
Unfortunatly my fat arse weighed the bike down so much in the trap
I managed to bury myself up to the spindle trying to get out.
(muts I'm sure wil post pic):mad:
Bike fine, pride in the crapper.
How about Donington GP early October?
I can get a deal if we bulk book

craigie
21-08-2005, 07:19 PM
T'was a grand days play indeed. Good to see faces I know and meet some new ones.

Having tried hanging off for the first time my legs are killing me, will have to get high levels and use Terry's no movement style of going fast.

How about Donington GP early October?
I can get a deal if we bulk book

Am tempted but don't know if my wee bike would last a day of pretty long straights, what does anyone think.

Craig

NattyBoy
21-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Ahh..just found this thread..yep..top day lads, and it was amazing watching the progress and improvement throughout the day. Craigie was doing really well on his 620, Marchesini looking very good indeed considering it was the first time he'd ****ed his leg over the 748, and even el presidente was shrugging off his weight disadvantage and tanking round as the day went on... :lol:

Had a play on Iains 998s (missile), and Terrys M1000 (is just didnt feel the same without a ford cortina rad to warm my knees against.. :rolleyes: :lol: ).

On a serious note..Terrys bike is one well sorted little monnie considering its an aircooled model of yesteryear :lol: . As you may have heard I HATE michelins with a passion, but his recently fitted Michelin Pilot Powers impressed me - and the rear ohlins really complimented the bike.

His newly fitted quickshifter was fun too and I managed to hang onto the tail coats of a slick shod GSXR1000 & 996 for a good while ....but the price was a scraped (very expensive!) billet cyclecat sidestand and a war wound on the side of his downpipes..fortunatley our chairman has a sense of humour !!

On a final note, everything else aside, it was the company that made the day..good banter and very enjoyable indeed....I think my mate Iain has been a bit disallusioned with the biking thing this year..but he was amazed at how well we all got on. Im pleased to say a monster is know on his shopping list to keep his beloved 998s company in the garage !!

Count me in for donny terry..

Cheers
Nat

slob
21-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Am tempted but don't know if my wee bike would last a day of pretty long straights, what does anyone think.

I'm very tempted, if I get the job offer I'm waiting for this week. I'll confirm it next week and thrash the nuts off my 620 down the straights. It's about to get new belts and rear tyre. Lawsey's instruction getting me to scrape my pipes has got me hooked.

claicerrig
22-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Terry

I`m interested in a Donny track day :D :D

Might even get my bro there on his Multistrada

fatbloke
22-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Terry

I`m interested in a Donny track day :D :D

Might even get my bro there on his Multistrada
Great if we can get 10 or more we can get it for £125 I'll need
10 definates for the end of next week:D

So far
Fatbloke
marchesini

claicerrig
22-08-2005, 08:13 PM
So far
Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai

NattyBoy
22-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Whats the exact date Terry...?

Nat

fatbloke
22-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Whats the exact date Terry...?

Nat
Tuesday 4th Oct Nat

Scotty
22-08-2005, 08:30 PM
ummm have to wait and see how the cash flow is post renewal time

marchesini
22-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Great if we can get 10 or more we can get it for £125 I'll need
10 definates for the end of next week:D

So far
Fatbloke
marchesini

Dave from Lydden with the 900SS has got the bug so he's in. Possibly Terry (Bandit boy) if he can find the readies. So updated list:

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Dave (900SS)

marchesini
22-08-2005, 10:22 PM
I picked up my 748 from Donnington on Friday and it seemed that they had a garage all to themselves. Is this part of the deal if we get 10 people, do we get our own garage just the the 'proper' bike racers? They also provide plug sockets to plug in our tyre warmers. :twisted:

On a much more sobering note, I rode into work this morning - light rain but nothing too torrential but I rode like a complete numpty. I'm suddenly aware of how dangerous it is to commute - I'm noticing oil rainbows, white lines, manhole covers, mobile phone drivers, stray traffic cones and pigeons and I'm not enjoying my ride. The track is definitely a much safer place.

Be careful out there, it's a dangerous place.

Laters

simon

NattyBoy
23-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Think I might be pushing it as im doing the ducati racing course at Imola on the 23/9 !!! Will have a gentle word with 'er indoors..im sure Iain would be interested..Ill come back in a bit..

Nat

marchesini
23-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Just leaving for work and a little brown envelope arrived. In it is a suspicious looking CD, so like all good detectives - popped it into my iPhoto and jiminy jangers, Muttley's done the business.

Anyway, Muttley has kindly sent all the images on a CD to me and I'll post more later. He suggested that if you like what you see, we could send the monies we would normally spend on Trackday photos and donate it to Riders for Health - which I think is a chuffing great idea. Anyway, here's just a couple of the groups shots but I think everyone is covered - even you Natty. There's also a good sequence of Terry er, not on the track (if you get my meaning). Fortunately, Muttley left at lunchtime so he didn't catch my 'You've been framed' moment.

Cracking shots and once again, thank you Mutters. You even managed to get Bandit Terry so he'll be well pleased.

Laters guys and gals

CK & AK
23-08-2005, 09:45 AM
If anyone is interested, there is a DSC trackday on 5th October at Brands. Ducati's only :cool:

Booking form here:

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=22616&pid=214759

as you can see, you dont need to be a member, but payment for non members will give you a years subscription anyway, and save the usual joining fee.

We all had a great hoot there in the wet last night :eek: :D for the Dave Harris memorial track evening. It did dry up right at the end....

C

fatbloke
23-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Dave from Lydden with the 900SS has got the bug so he's in. Possibly Terry (Bandit boy) if he can find the readies. So updated list:

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Dave (900SS)

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Dave
Spares Geezer

NattyBoy
23-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Im not there.. :( :D

Nat

marchesini
23-08-2005, 03:46 PM
Im not there.. :( :D

Nat

Do you mean the pics or Donnington. If its's the pics then here's something to warm the ****les of your heart.

More to come when I'm at home

simon

NattyBoy
23-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Nice one mate. Ref donny..im REALLY pushing my luck asking to do a track day 11 days after Imola...but im gonna go for it anyway .. :lol: ..Especially as ive been offered a VERY special bologna bullet to play with for the day ;) :D

Nat

fatbloke
23-08-2005, 04:08 PM
.I'll leave Terry to tell you about his mini-Muppet award but he was much more fortunate than me and got away (relatively) scott-free. Muttley has some pics which tell more than words can say (and they are much funnier aswell).
simon

I ran out of tarmac!!!!
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7433

slob
23-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I ran out of tarmac!!!!

Flippin'eck Terry, you did well to keep that upright! I'm sure gravelblasting brand new mag wheels isn't recommended.
Can I get a copy of the CD? I'm more than happy to contribute to Riders For Health/Muttley's Jack Daniel's Fund etc. etc.

NattyBoy
23-08-2005, 05:35 PM
If anyone is interested, there is a DSC trackday on 5th October at Brands. Ducati's only :cool:

Booking form here:

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=22616&pid=214759

as you can see, you dont need to be a member, but payment for non members will give you a years subscription anyway, and save the usual joining fee.

We all had a great hoot there in the wet last night :eek: :D for the Dave Harris memorial track evening. It did dry up right at the end....

C

OI..!! Stop gatecrashing our donny plans CK... :lol:

Looking good boys...got plans to pamper her in the hot tub tonight and break the news of 2 trackdays in 11 days gently... :lol: Will be back shortly (Iains mulling it over too).

Nat

fatbloke
23-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Can I get a copy of the CD? I'm more than happy to contribute to Riders For Health

more than happy to do you a cd mate mike did ask for a small donation to be sent to riders for health.
Send me your postal add and I'll burn you a copy
TERRY

CK & AK
23-08-2005, 06:53 PM
OI..!! Stop gatecrashing our donny plans CK... :lol:

Nat

:p

just thought I'd add it, to the 'trackday' type of thread - some more 'local' to Brands might want to come along, or those who prefer to just be with likeminded Ducati riders;)

:)

slob
23-08-2005, 06:58 PM
The 'local' bit is very tempting. But sticking it up the inside of 1200bandits, Fireblades and R1s is fookin brilliant.

fatbloke
23-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Only 4 more and its a cheap day out

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Dave
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)

marchesini
23-08-2005, 09:07 PM
The 'local' bit is very tempting. But sticking it up the inside of 1200bandits, Fireblades and R1s is fookin brilliant.

And here's one I prepared earlier.

Grroooovy baby

simon

marchesini
23-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Will be back shortly (Iains mulling it over too).

Well, here's something for him to think about. Note to Jedi Student Iain, must try harder.....

marchesini
23-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Only 4 more and its a cheap day out

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Dave
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)

Dave's had to pull out. He HAS to go on holiday with his family. Some people just can't get their priorities right, eh? So:

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)

marchesini
23-08-2005, 09:41 PM
More fun at the fair(y)...

marchesini
23-08-2005, 09:44 PM
A few gratuitious, pointless, but ultimately supremely stylish knee down shots all in the manner of superbike/fastbikes/feckinfastbike magazine:

Roll on Donnington

gary tompkins
23-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Simon,

Great shots from Mutters, looks like you had a great day at the track. Didn't take you long to get in the groove on the bargain 748 then - just hope the crash damage isn't too serious?

oh... and before you ask it's a definate no to Donny :p

marchesini
23-08-2005, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Did the Rockingham day AND survived (10-15 down if I remember correctly).

Might be pushing it to do both days especially one after the other. Are there any others (unofficial or otherwise) trackdays planned before Donnington. Would like to squeeze another one in if possible.

Just a general question - why is Brand Hatch so feckin' expensive? Not that I don't like the track but is it really worth twice the price of Lydden or Cadwell - £165 v £85?? It must be the same length as Lydden and in the same county. Just wondering as I could understand if it was as wonderful a circuit as Oulton Park but for £145/165 notes, there are a lot more places to go for the money. I mean Donnington GP costs less and it' s 2.5 x as long - just curious as to the extortionate costs.

Laters

simon

slob
24-08-2005, 05:01 AM
stuart_supermoto_stylee.jpg
Sorry Simon but that ain't Stuart.

marchesini
24-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Sorry Simon but that ain't Stuart.

It is now. (Of a sort). Apologies for the mix-up and there's at least one piccie (well 3/4 of a piccie) to show that you were there.

Laters

simon

CK & AK
24-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Simon - we blame Focused Events for the huge costs for Brands :mad:
They must play on the 'captive audience' in that so many want to ride there, and as its so close to London.

we find its still cheaper to do Donny/Cadwell (including the fuel etc) than Brands...........

C :)

fatbloke
24-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Not many to go

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman

NattyBoy
24-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Well, here's something for him to think about. Note to Jedi Student Iain, must try harder.....

What a poofter... :lol:

NattyBoy
24-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Not many to go

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman
Nattyboy

Ahh..B***x to it...you only live once eh and I can always nip down dorothy perkins and buy here a new frock.... :lol:

fatbloke
25-08-2005, 05:15 PM
latest

Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman
Nattyboy
Spike (definate maybe)

martin b
25-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman
Nattyboy
Spike (definate maybe]
martin b (just trying to get day off )

martin b
25-08-2005, 05:57 PM
is it a ducati only day or can other makes come?

martin b

fatbloke
25-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman
Nattyboy
Spike (definate maybe]

just one more and we get our discount:lol::D

fatbloke
25-08-2005, 06:00 PM
is it a ducati only day or can other makes come?

martin b

open to all

Spike
25-08-2005, 08:27 PM
If I've got the 595 back together count me in :burnout:

NattyBoy
25-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Would be great to see you spike...

Nat

Spike
25-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Stuff it if the 595's not up and running I'll be on the monnie so I'll see you there Natty boy just got to get some overtime in to pay for it.

Mand
26-08-2005, 06:00 AM
I'll be there, but only to take photos. I just hope to god it doesn't rain! I am after all

THE DONINGTON CURSE!!!!! :(

fatbloke
26-08-2005, 06:04 AM
I'll be there, but only to take photos. I just hope to god it doesn't rain! I am after all

oh bugger I forgot that
ok I'll take a canoe as well as the Monster :D

NattyBoy
26-08-2005, 06:39 AM

Can you bring your autosol Mand..?? :D

Nat

Mand
26-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Can you bring your autosol Mand..?? :D

Nat

Do you want to use it so you can "out shine" the opposition?!? :p

claicerrig
30-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman
Nattyboy
Spike (definate maybe]
Clai`s Brother (On his Mutistrada :eek: )

Is that our 10 now ??????? :D :burnout:

fatbloke
30-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Fatbloke
marchesini
Clai
Spares Geezer
Alex (Mands Partner)
runningman
Nattyboy
Spike (definate maybe]
Clai`s Brother (On his Mutistrada :eek: )

Is that our 10 now ??????? :D :burnout:

It does indeed Clai can you pm me your brothers name please and I'll get
things moving.

slob
30-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Can signups beyond #10 take advantage of the discount?

fatbloke
30-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Can signups beyond #10 take advantage of the discount?
yes Rob can I add you to the list?

slob
30-08-2005, 08:34 PM
yes Rob can I add you to the list?
Not just yet Terry, go ahead and book the 10 and I'll see if I can blag the discount when I book #11 if all goes well this week.

fatbloke
30-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Not just yet Terry, go ahead and book the 10 and I'll see if I can blag the discount when I book #11 if all goes well this week.

Good luck Rob
If all goes well give me a call I'm not the King of Blag for Nowt!!

Scotty
30-08-2005, 08:40 PM
oooh errm err go on then

if thers a No 12 place, il have that if i may ?

im sure il have everything sorted by then

marchesini
30-08-2005, 09:25 PM
At this rate, we'll be having our own session. :D

BTW, just a thought bossman. How about putting a section on the website for trackdays etc - it seems that there is a bit more interest now and it saves having to look in the local or random section. I would be interested to know where people are thinking of going to a track - makes it much more fun with 2 (or 12). Just a thought? I'll have a lie down now.

laters

simon

fatbloke
30-08-2005, 09:36 PM
At this rate, we'll be having our own session. :D

BTW, just a thought bossman. How about putting a section on the website for trackdays etc - it seems that there is a bit more interest now and it saves having to look in the local or random section. I would be interested to know where people are thinking of going to a track - makes it much more fun with 2 (or 12). Just a thought? I'll have a lie down now.

laters

simon

just for you simon
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/forumdisplay.php?f=71

marchesini
31-08-2005, 01:07 PM
just for you simon
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/forumdisplay.php?f=71

It'd be rude not to christen it then .....