PDA

View Full Version : santa pod finals

Jek
21-08-2005, 07:49 AM
hello all.. me and the missus aka (penelopepitstop) are going to the fia drag racing finals on sept 8th 9th 10th 11th i think? anyway is anyone else goin? and if ya are do ya fancy meeting for a few shandy,s? sadly we will be going in the car to this event seeing as its 4 days long penelope needs a minimun of 12 pairs of assorted boots and shoes, 6 pairs of jeans, 5 skirts, 25 assorted tops and t shirts. pyjamas etc etc. fancy it?

Pugi
21-08-2005, 08:15 AM
seeing as its 4 days long penelope needs a minimun of 12 pairs of assorted boots and shoes, 6 pairs of jeans, 5 skirts, 25 assorted tops and t shirts. pyjamas etc etc.ยจ

:lol: :lol:

Chappers
21-08-2005, 03:30 PM
I was meant to be going to this with an ex-member of UKMOC but it's not gonna happen now :(

There's a guy off www.visordown.com (Maddog) who is a drag racer (bike) who will be there on a green Kwak called Richard - keep an eye out for him, lovely bloke :)

penelopepitstop
21-08-2005, 05:21 PM
We will keep an eye out for him then, perhaps go and say hello.
Cant you come anyway???? :bunny:

Chappers
21-08-2005, 06:19 PM
I could pop over for the day on 10th but start work at 6pm, also I would need a lift off someone as (ahem) I'm on a driving ban til 15th :o

penelopepitstop
21-08-2005, 07:21 PM
How far do you live from the pod?
xxx

Chappers
22-08-2005, 07:44 AM
24.2 miles to be precise but it takes ages coz Santa Pod is out in the country :(

According to AA Route Planner it takes 47mins :confused:

McMONSTRO
22-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Ahh.. the World Finals...Well European anyway...Planing to go, maybe sat/sun and camp or maybe just sunday, depends on the weather, because if its wet NO racing happens at all.
I need my yearly fix of nitro! All Ive had this year is the 1/8th buggy and that doesn't come close. If any of you have never been you have to give it a go sometime, forget what you've seen on TV, its one of those things you have to be there to appreciate, stand next to a Top fuel car when they fire it up and you think its hellish loud, probably the loudest thing youve ever heard (unless youre in the habit of sticking your head near the afterburners of an F15) then they blip the throttle and the pain hits you, eyes run, you feel like you just got hit in the chest by a cricket bat and you wonder if your ears will ever recover.....opps! I'm ranting, but it is an experience! 0-100mph in under a second, fastest I ever saw was 0-360mph in 3.6 seconds, covered the standing 1/4 mile in 3.6 seconds. First went in the late 70's and still enjoy it now!

Jek
22-08-2005, 08:33 PM
nice one mc. i will post my mobile number closer to the time and if ya wanna meet me and penelope for a few beers then ya more than welcome,, gotta camp though for maxmum atmosphere. cheers Si

bod
22-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Always wanted to take the missus there been once to see the top fuel cars and loved it,what is the best day to go as a pure spectator/day 1 night camping? :)
Only thing I learnt, don't stand behind the cars at the rear of the track as they warm tyres,or the truck with the jet engine is on to dry the track :D

penelopepitstop
23-08-2005, 06:43 PM
I would say that sat/sun were the best days to spectate. As sunday is the last day of the season they are all going flat out :D
Me and Jek are getting there early friday as i love being there and it will be Jeks first time :lol:
Stood at the back of the track one day when the Jet car was on :eek:
dont think i'll be doin that again!
Let us know what days you's decide to go

Pen :bunny:

McMONSTRO
23-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Jek/Pen

Great! Speak to you nearer the time then!
Just heard my tent should be repaired by then (lent to a mate 2 years ago!) so campings on the cards, Im waiting to hear if any free tickets are coming my way as another pal used to be Barry Sheavills crew chief before he went up to Top Fuel cars, but if not Im still planning to be there!

McMonstro

penelopepitstop
23-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Being the sticky beak that i am mc, i just noticed that your birthday is on 6th sept and mine is on the 7th! Looks like we have some celebrating to do while were at the pod! :D

McMONSTRO
24-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Ah yes Pen! I am due back from a four day trip to Assen WSB in the early hours of the 6th, no doubt I will have had a few beers in Holland, but Im sure I can make room for a few more at the Pod!

McMonstro

penelopepitstop
25-08-2005, 09:13 PM
I am due back from a four day trip to Assen WSB in the early hours of the 6th

You lucky lucky thing. I'm jealous

McMONSTRO
09-09-2005, 01:02 PM
So who's going then? Im planing to go down sat am, 830ish, weather looks OKish.

McMONSTRO
13-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Wrong call with the weather!
Got there 10ish, started raining, got the track dry, 2 or 3 half hearted runs, started raining again, tried to dry the track, rained again! retired to tent, opened beers, followed by more beers, about 7ish tried to light BBQ, coals damp, put more on, eventually get enough heat to cook kebabs and burgers, drink more beer, still raining, open vodka, friends retire to their tent, friends come back, their tents leaked big time, transfer the gear into my tent, now very cramped, so drink more vodka, change gas bottle on lantern, forgot how to do it (probably due to excess vodka) lose most of the gas, 1/2 hour later gas runs out, finish vodka, hit the sack, pass out!
Wake up 7ish, look out of tent, very dull, walk to cafe for fry up, go up on spectator bank, starts raining, 1.30 give up, pack up tent and join the mass exodus home, arrive home watch World Superbikes.
Racing began at the Pod about 3.30 and finished at about 9ish according to the website, good news is the tickets are valid for another meet, up to and including next years euro finals!
Here endeth another wet weekend, Donington revisited!

McSoggy

bod
14-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Hmm kinda glad I had to move house instead of going now, it's cr*p when it rains there.