PDA

View Full Version : start me up!!!

lord vader
19-08-2005, 09:38 AM
Having real problems with my starter switch, it seems to allow me to start when it wants to. I've checked everything else and thats all good so i have a couple of Q's

1. is this a common fault?
2. Dispite my efforts of cleaning and re building i've had no joy, is it worth persevering?
3. I guess it comes as one complete unit does anyone know how cheap?
4. Has anyone done anything a bit trick as a replacment/mod?

many thanks

vader

Scotty
19-08-2005, 12:46 PM
slash the wires at the head stock and hot wire it

errm the common problerm is often snaped wires around the heasdstock which is fixable by yourself like

to 'test' is this is the case try the starter button on full lock each way, if it turns over turning right but not left then a wire brakeage it proberly is umm ?

Mr C
19-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Try the wire that goes in to the Solenoid, it has a white cap. just give it a wiggle.
Worked for me earlier today

rich
21-08-2005, 11:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-MONSTER-RIGHT-HAND-SWITCH-SET-PERFECT-N-R_W0QQitemZ7994040459QQcategoryZ10448QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem

HTH rich

Buzz
28-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Had exactly this problem on my 2000 750M. Stripped and cleaned the starter switch. Fitted a new battery. Dealer I bought it from fitted a new starter solenoid (under waranty) and a new side stand switch (I bypassed it anyway to see if that cured it). No luck. Checked the wiring around the headstock as suggested elsewhere and nothing :mad:

Then I did a search on google for the siemens 'safety' relay - I don't remember the exact number - and it appears they are notoriously unreliable (and give exactly the same intermittent fault on guzzis and laverdas). Rather than replace it I just shorted out switched terminals - from memory 30 & 87 - and 'Bob's the husband of your Aunt' :lol: Starts every time now.

On mine the 'safety' relay is the little black jobby under the seat next to the main relay and the flasher unit.

lord vader
30-09-2005, 03:04 PM
muchos grassyar$e every one.

Buzz
30-09-2005, 06:11 PM
No problem. You sorted then? What was it?